“A little surprised by (most) of the other reviews”

BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Farnham, United Kingdom
“A little surprised by (most) of the other reviews”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

There's no doubt that it's a nice hotel in a nice location (if you're physically fit!) with generally excellent service from the staff. However, it's not the super amazing luxury palace that you would be led into believing from some of the reviews on here and I think it offers poor value for money.

Upon arriving at the hotel we walked into the room and immediately noticed that the mattress had a large and very noticeable dent in it. As we were both very tired and it was late we put up with it for the first night, but did inform the staff in the morning who replaced the mattress the next day. In my opinion though, if you're paying £120+ per night for a room you would expect more. It felt like we had been put in that room with them fully aware of the issue (it was very obvious) in the hope we'd put up with it and not say anything. As I say, the receptionist was only too happy to help and it was rectified the next day... but it shouldn't have happened in the first place and someone was clearly not doing their job properly.

Our room (12) was nothing special. You would find much the same in a room costing half the price. I'm not sure about the prices of other hotels in St. Peter Port to be fair, but in terms of what you would get in a hotel in England for £120+ a night, it was seriously lacking, which was a bit disappointing.

The courtyard area, along with the swimming pool area/main building are all very nice, along with the garden area, which sadly we didn't get to spend any time in due to the weather. The interior is very "dated" but I think it works quite well, especially seeing as the average guest seemed to be pensioners.

Didn't eat in the restaurant for dinner but did have breakfast each morning. The quality varied from day to day - day two was exceptionally good and one of the best breakfasts I've ever had. The final day was a shambles though - over half an hour between them taking our order and actually receiving the food. Note that you can have breakfast delivered to your room for no fee - worth doing perhaps to save this kind of long wait!

Overall a good hotel, but not worth the money. If the room had cost eighty quid a night I would feel differently about it; as it is I felt it offered poor value for money. Next time we're in Guernsey we will definitely try elsewhere!

Room Tip: Maybe pay the tiny bit extra for a "deluxe" as the normal rooms were pretty average.
2 Thank James M
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you very much for your very detailed review about BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet. Your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. We strive each day to ensure our Customers get the Best service levels possible, therefore I am truly disappointed that we fall short on this occasion. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconveniences or frustrations that your experience might have caused you. I have taken all your points on board and notified the proper departments of your comments.
Thank you again for bringing these matters to my attention. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future and allow us to make up for any shortcomings and ensure your second visit is a more enjoyable one.
I would like to thank you once again for being our Guest. Please do not hesitate to contact us again if there is anything we could assist with.

Kind regards

Gennaro Festivo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in mid June 2014. The double room was spacious and in a delighful position with views onto the garden. The staff were excellent; helpful and good humoured. It is a short walk uphill from the Harbour but not inconvenient for the average person. An excellent location. Excellent breakfasts and the restaurant food equally as good. I will stay there again in any future visit to this lovely island. Overall I could not recommend it more highly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John D
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Another glorious review, thank you very much! I was delighted to read your feedback and glad that you had a most enjoyable stay and your expectations were met in all areas of our service and in the facilities we provide. I am also glad that you enjoyed the food in our restaurant. Thank you for your kind compliments regarding the staff too, as you have experienced, I have a very dedicated team of staff across all departments, who are always happy to help and will be pleased to read your kind compliments.

Thank you once again for your time and effort to review our hotel and for your recommendation. We all look forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet for another enjoyable stay.

Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Having just spent three nights at this hotel i have to say its so much more than a three star hotel! The staff were fantastic nothing was too much trouble, food at the grill bar was superb & the breakfasts were fantastic.Our superior room was lovely & the leisure facilities were such a bonus. Very relaxed atmosphere & a short wak into town albeit at the top of the hill however, its good for the legs :) although you do have the option of a free shuttle bus if you dont feel like walking. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends & look forward to staying here again,I honestly cannot find fault with anything, it was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great comments and especially for taking the time to post them on TripAdvisor after your recent stay. I am delighted to read that your overall stay was an enjoyable one and you were happy with all our facilities and service provided. I am happy to read that you found your room comfortable and clean, and the food was also up to your satisfaction. Thank you very much once again for this wonderful review and recommendation, it will be my pleasure to share it with my team and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet for another memorable stay.

Horncastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

A three star that deserves more. Service and food exceptionally good. Nothing too much trouble for the staff and very attentive without being intrusive. Had problems with our room when we arrived as smaller than expected and very hot. But after being shown how to work the air conditioning it was OK and the manager moved us to a wonderful junior suite as soon as available. We intended to eat in the Port most nights but after sampling the food at the hotel, we saved ourselves the trip down the hill. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. Top marks as you made our stay lovely. Breakfasts were superlative and with the added bonus of waiter service. compliments to the chef.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderful review regarding your stay at BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet. We appreciate your kind comments. I am delighted that you had a very enjoyable stay and the team created a friendly, welcoming atmosphere during your stay. I am also delighted to read that you have specially enjoyed the meal and the service you received in the restaurant.

As I always do I will share your review with my team and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet in the future.

St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My husband & I visited Guernsey for the first time and booked this hotel based on the excellent reviews already on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed.

The hotel is in a lovely location overlooking St Peters Port. Yes, it is on a steep hill but the walk round the back of the hotel into town was less steep than the more direct road straight down to the harbour. The patio area is lovely and we enjoyed drinks & coffees etc in the sunshine.

There is a very good mini bus service into town run by Bobby, who also does the twice weekly free tour of the island. This is very good. He knows a lot of local history so the tour is well worth doing.

Our room was overlooking the courtyard with the magnolia tree and fish ponds. It was very quiet and clean.

The breakfast served each day in the Wellington Boot restaurant is excellent. We never attempted the Full English but the Small English was lovely. There were lots of other breakfast choices, including the well stocked buffet. Only small gripe was sometimes it took a while to get coffee refills.

There are 2 restaurants, The Grill and The Wellington Boot. The staff in both are lovely.
We were staying on a Bed & Breakfast basis, which meant that if we ate in the restaurants (which we did 4 nights out of 7) we were offered the A La Carte Menu or a fixed price Summer Menu. There was quite a lot of choice but we realised that if we had booked on a Half Board basis including dinner we would have been offered a Table D'Hote menu, which changed every day and looked to have about 4 choices for each course.

The staff in restaurants, the bar and on reception were all friendly and helpful. They organised taxis for us on arrival and departure.

Room Tip: Our room overlooking the courtyard was quiet. We didn't get to see any others.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your 5* review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with other fellow TripAdvisor site readers. I am delighted you had a very comfortable visit and the features and amenities of the hotel met your expectations especially after reading all the reviews on TripAdvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you had a great dining experience and the meals were up to your complete satisfaction. As you have experienced, I have a very dedicated team of staff across all departments, who are always happy to help and will be pleased to read your kind compliments. I will pass your personal notes onto Bobby.

Thank you once again for your time and effort to review our hotel and we all look forward to welcome you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet for another memorable stay.

Paris, France
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I spent seven nights in a standard room with half board. The staff were super friendly and professional. The customer is pampered from check in until check out. The food was fantastic. We enjoyed the hot specially prepared English breakfast and also enjoyed the fresh fruit and the fresh baked bread with the Guernsey butter which is very yellow. Every night for dinner, we were treated to four very generous tasty courses. All the fish dishes were so fresh! We enjoyed having cocktails in the bar and placing our dinner order; sipping our drinks and admiring the sea views. Our room was spacious, clean, cozy, quiet with comfortable bed, pillows, refrigerator & good size TV. The shinning clean bathroom was good size with a tub & shower.
We took the free island tour and really enjoyed the knowledgeable American driver. We visited every fort and major site on the island and took a ferry to Jersey for the day. Plus, my husband bought a Guernsey sweater which was on his bucket list!
To sum up our trip, it was everything I had read on tripadvisor and more. My only suggestion would be to up date the main house like the reception in tones of grey. Bravo to the staff and hotel management!

1 Thank tigerlou64
We always take great pleasure in reading wonderful reviews like yours and knowing that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us and we do appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave your comments.
I am also pleased to know that you did like your Bedroom and the food in our restaurants and thank you for mentioning the staff as courteous and friendly. I will pass your kind words on to them especially to Bobby, our bus driver, and we hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet in the future.

Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have recently stayed on an extended holiday at Hotel De Havelet to celebrate my husbands birthday and my sons marriage in Guernsey. The De Havelet provided all and more than expected.
The Reception for the wedding was at the hotel and whilst small- (16 people), the ambience, service, food, rooms, gardens and arrangements were exceptional. No stress! All the arrangements were made by Genaro Festivo (manager) and together with all his staff made the day a memorable event- thankyou.

The hotel is on a fairly steep hill- as is all of St Peter Port. However there is a regular hotel bus service into town and the view to the harbour from the hotel grounds and restaurants is amazing. Over the years we have stayed in most of the different room categories. Whilst most seem to recommend the front rooms- views are limited- we prefer the courtyard at the back- quiet, a lovely magnolia and other shrubs with a small fish pond. The swimming pool, gardens and its facilities are directly off the courtyard which make for convenient access. The gardens and pool area are extremely well kept.
All the rooms are comfortable, mine and others have recently been redecorated and are maintained to a high standard by the housekeeping staff.

Both restaurants and the bar provide a variety of different menu's- the food is excellent and if the stay is more than a few days- can lead to serious over eating!! Again, service is excellent with good restaurant managers. I recommend a cocktail in the bar by Diana.

Overall-- we had a wonderful extended holiday, with family and friends who return and will continue to recommend the hotel which deserves its popularity and high rating awards.

Room Tip: All rooms good- sun travels from front in the morning/afternoon so rooms can be warm in summer, to...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
BEST WESTERN D, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments about BEST WESTERN Hotel de Havelet. It is always a pleasure to welcome back returning Guests and we very much appreciate your continued loyalty to our hotel. I am very pleased to read that you had a memorable stay with us on this special occasion. It was a pleasure for my team and myself to be part of your son’s wedding reception. I am very pleased that the staff left a positive impression with you to make this day perfect. I am very pleased as well to hear you did like your room and you found the hotel facilities welcoming and comfortable. I will pass your kind comments to my team and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

G. Festivo
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Martins
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort

Been to BEST WESTERN Hotel De Havelet? Share your experiences!