“Faultless food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Grill House and Cocktail Bar

Red Grill House and Cocktail Bar
Ranked #8 of 123 Restaurants in St Peter Port
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Good for: View, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Faultless food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

For a restaurant that specialises in steaks, what really impressed me was the attention given to the serving of the vegetables. Each veg dish was an impressive mouthful, with contented and appreciative murmurs from around the table.
The steaks were like cutting through butter, and melt in your mouth good. The quality of the food was first class, and the owner is quietly passionate about his craft, and it shows.

The menu is extensive, and will have me going back for more.

As pricing goes, for the quality of the food, it's spot on. For food this exceptional, the bill was as you'd expect. A venue to be used sparingly, for those very special occasions.

Staff were delightful, service excellent.

If there were a downside, it would be the noise level, and the actual decor. There is little in the way of soft furnishings, so the noise bounces around and makes conversation reach shouting level early on. I left with a sore throat!

Nevertheless, I'll be back!

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good food ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Visited here over the Easter break the food was very good but I was disappointed when I ordered the mixed seasonal vegetable to only get two different types of beans and it was quite expensive!!

St Peter Port
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Red has good atmosphere but isn't cheap, so expectations are high. I and my colleague ordered a fine cut of Guernsey beef. In the event the beef was tough. Not the quality I was expecting. Gristle in abundance. Disappointing. I informed the waitress. I've had better beef from M&S. Red let themselves down with the beef. Pity, the service was good. The bill £60+/head for two courses, two drinks and a modest bottle of wine. In the end, price didn't equate to quality delivered.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Stop at Red. No Green light required”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were in Guernsey for 2 nights and we ate at Pier 17 the first night (Superb) and had cocktails at Red. We wanted to book the 2nd night at Red but the list was full. However, they took our mobile number and called the next day due to a cancellation.

We arrived to a friendly welcome. The wine list was a bit out of our league but the Argentine Malbec we settled on was excellent.

Shared the chilli squid starter - delicious. My wife had 2 starters as a main - Croquetas (sp? ) and Lobster soufflé - both melted in the mouth with sublime flavour. The side spinach in a Kilner jar was unique as it was the first time we had experienced hazelnut oil - add in the parmasan and you had a great combo. I had rib eye steak (perfect) with homemade BBQ sauce with ginger added - maybe not to everyone's taste but I thought it worked really well. Finally we had creme brulee and the small cheese board - perfect.

Couldn't fault the food or the service and we leave Guernsey having had probably the best 2 meals of our lives.

1 Thank Bob E
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
“The best in guernsey, by a margin”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I would repeat the comments of reviewer "quityourjibberjabber" had I not just read it. I concur with this assessment although I rather like the truffle fries. To add my bit, in addition to fine food, we meet a team of well trained, professional and friendly staff every time that we make our weekly visit. Never once short of first class in all respects.

It is worth the wait to get in, so book early.