“Tea for Two” 5 of 5 bubbles

Afternoon Tea at Old Government House Hotel
Ranked #38 of 123 Restaurants in St Peter Port
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Tea for Two”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I spent a lovely afternoon this summer in the garden of Old Government House in St Peter Port.
We enjoyed tea and a glorious selection of cakes, scones, cream and sandwiches. Champagne was optional but we resisted as we had alot more to do before the day was over. The staff at the hotel were absolutely charming, polite and friendly. They did not hurry us along and we relaxed in the beautiful garden for over 2 hours. The overall cost was very reasonable - though not exactly cheap - and worth every penny. It was a memorable experience.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Crees2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Average tea @ non average prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I recently had afternoon tea at the OGH with two friends, one of whom had recommended it.
At over £15 per head for what equates to one round of sandwiches, two scones and some small cakes plus a pot of tea I expected something special - WRONG

The first waiter showed us to a table in the garden next door to a bush which happened to be full of wasps and they were in full flight, so I felt it would only be a matter of time before one of us got stung. Before any food arrived we requested to move inside. we followed another waiter to our new table which was in an inside lounge with little natural light and no views.
The OGH is situated on a hillside with spectacular views across to the other islands and I asked if we could sit in the completely empty dining area which we had just walked through to get to the garden and back to this inside room but that was refused. There were numerous tables with views across the garden and out to the other islands but we were told that the room we were taken to is where they serve afternoon tea. Despite the fact they have to walk through the dining room to get to the garden we were not allowed to eat there.
The next waiter, a young man asked if I would like him to pour the tea, to which I said yes, but then on completing that task, he spilt tea on my trousers. Not too impressed with that we soldiered on to eat the food.There is no choice of sandwich and though very nice, you have to accept what you are given, which may not suit everyone or vegetarians. Each slice is divided into three so you get a small finger section of three different fillings. The sandwiches were fine but I would have preferred a choice. The little cakes were also fresh and very nice and quite filling, but the scones were hard and most unpleasant. There was only one small pot of cream and jam for three of us and 6 scones, and one small jug of milk and on two occasions we had to ask for it to be replenished and ask for more cream and jam as there was barely a scraping on each scone with such a small amount.
Overall it was Ok, but I have been to other establishments in the UK where you get a choice of sandwich filling, a full round with crusts left on, choice of scones, choice of jams and cakes and tea for just £8.95 per person, which makes this seems rather expensive when you have to eat what they give you.
The final straw was when I went to pay the bill, not content with charging over £15 per head they automatically added service charge of 10%, which I refused to pay on account that I should be sending them a cleaning charge for my trousers.
Pleasant but I wouldn't recommend this experience, maybe others will find it different.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Chris S
Brockenhurst, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

There were three of us for afternoon tea. All agreed the chicken mayonnaise sandwiches were to dye for and the rest was very good too. We did have to ask for more jam and cream for the scones, but that was probably just greed on our part! Very good selection of cakes too, most of which we took home!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Anne D
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Yum Yum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Liked it all...All good....Yummy!!! The scones were freshly baked, all fresh and delicious.... The Afternoon Tea would be the standard of most 5* London Hotels, not quite the Dorchester or the Ritz but very Yummy all the same.

Visited September 2012
Malvern, United Kingdom
“Indulgent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We had the OGH afternoon tea the day we arrived in Guernsey. It really was substantial with sandwiches, cakes, scones, cream and jam. If you have the full tea you won't need much for your evening meal!

Visited June 2013