“Lovely hotel in a super central location”

Duke of Normandie Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Pleurtuit, France
“Lovely hotel in a super central location”
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We picked this hotel mainly because of its central location and we weren't disappointed. It literally is just a few metres from the main street of St Peter Port. So 10/10 for location.
The hotel is very clean and has the benefit of a bar/brasserie, although the brasserie didn't have a full menu at this time of year which wasn't really a problem as there are plenty of restaurants within easy walking distance.
Our room was large, albeit somewhat dark as there were only 2 small windows in the room, one of which was in the bathroom. The decor didn't help either as the furniture was of dark wood and the paintings on the walls were also dark brown/maroon. The bed was very comfortable.
Downsides of the room?
It wasn't possible to open either window which left the room somewhat stuffy. We had turned the radiator off but the room was still warm and I'm not too sure where the heat was coming from but fine. The oddity of the room was that there was a very small difference in the levels in the room and it was difficult to see so if you didn't pay attention you could have turned your ankle over. Not too sure how the small step came to be, but it might be worth highlighting the step more and sacrificing a bit of the look of the room.
The loo roll holder was hanging off the wall but that didn't detract from the stay, merely just pointing out.
And, I'm used to fiddling about with showers over baths and their idiosyncrasies of how to turn them on, but this one had me puzzled for longer than usual. I think it would have helped to have a small sign or explanation saying "right for bath - left for shower" or similar. Got there in the end though. :-)
Breakfast was good and included in our room price, offering both quite a large variety of cold things (meat, cheese, cereals, fruit etc) as well as a cooked breakfast which was freshly cooked.
Big plus point for me - Amongst the jams and marmalades was Marmite. I know you either love it or hate it and I love it. It went down well on the toast with my fry-up................

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gogif

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Jersey, CI
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I had a colleague stay at the Duke of Normandie back in 2008 and I am afraid, if I would have been writing a report at that time, it would not have been pleasant! However, today it may as well be a new build - the transformation is simply remarkable, as is the value for money.

I have now stayed here twice in a row, both times in 'Executive' rooms, which are still more cost effective than either Moores or St Pierre Park which it is not even fair to compare this hotel to.

Not only are the rooms beautifully furnished, dry and warm, the breakfast is also excellent.

Well done to the owners is all I can say, well done indeed (and make sure you request an Executive room but just not when I stay, as I don't want the hotel to be full!!!)

Room Tip: Avoid the Executive room on the top floor of the main building - fine so long as he weather is not b...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Wiley_Coyotee
Kingston-upon-hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We found this to be a very nice hotel in an excellent location. It is in the islands capital and close enough to the bus station to travel, the ferry port to go further afield and even not too bad to walk to the other side of the island like we did. Great rooms and the bar is a gem with lovely evening meals. Very friendly staff too.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Kent England
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. Booked over the internet was upgraded as per the offer on the web site. My room was classed as executive. It was on the first floor over looking the court yard. I found it clean and tidy, although a little on the dark side. This was due to there only being 2 small windows in the room. Breakfast was satisfactory as were the bar meals served in the hotel pub. The location is central to town and comes with limited car parking. Just bear in mind that it is situated with a steep walk into town. Like i say, no complaints with an above average experience. Average night with B+B - 100 Euro.

Room Tip: Check out internet offers
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
New Southgate, North London
Reviewed 17 November 2012

The large room we were given was, we were told, the best room in the hotel. I believe they called it the Suite, but sorry, can't remember room number. After three nights the room above had a problem with their bath/shower and water was dripping through the ceiling of ours. We were then moved into a very small room for the remainder of our holiday. The young staff and management were excellent throughout our stay. Were were on B & B. The Breakfasts excellent, in a light, airy dining room, good service. Good Tip: if you eat in the hotel, make it the Bar. The food is fine, generous portions, and uses the same kitchen, and Chef, as the hotel's more expensive Brasserie restaurant. The hotel description says the hotel is set on an incline. How true! It feels like a 1 in 3. Very close to the Harbour and High Street (M & S, Boots, banks, posh and expensive boutiques). Good tip no. 2: Use buses - go anywhere for £1 fare.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank D.D_and_Mrs.L.D
Cardiff
Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

Had a four night stay in room 10. Positives first staff very friendly and helpful, food in restaurant very good as was the breakfasts. The public areas are a bit tatty in places stained carpets chipped furniture etc but not awful by any means . Room 10 bathroom good but again just needs a couple of small matters sorting paintwork, shower -water goes everywhere . However the issue for us in this room was the poor outlooks from the two windows one looked out on a very small area which was enclosed on all sides by corridors and the reception office.... Not good the second window looked at the back alley which was filthy pigeons resting everywhere with bird droppings on glass and window sill not at all appealing. However room was spotless and had all normal facilities which included a safe. Parking was good hotel well situated for centre of town. Tennerfest was terrific had some fabulous meals at different restaurants All in all we enjoyed our stay with a little attention to detail good could be great.

• Stayed October 2012
Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

I get it's October. I don't get why so many one way streets are closed you just can't get to your hotel!

In 1940 Guernsey was occupied and the occupation troops took the metal road signs down to make arms with, so far no one has considered it important enough to replace them in the last 65 years. STREET SIGNS ARE NEAR ENOUGH NON EXISTENT.

We arrived at 2055 at the hotel. The person who said in the comments about the entrance being " not for the feint hearted" was on the button, breathe in and hold your breath. If you arrive late, know your not going to get parked. Parking is free on Guernsey.
Just FIND IT SOMEWHERE CLOSE TO THE HOTEL!
Be warned most restaurants close at 2100, this hotel is no exception!
The chef sent a female to say they were closed because he was finished his shift and asked us to go to the bar, quaint, but hasn't been upgraded since the occupation. The waiter was happy to instruct that the kitchen was closed! No matter I was at the end of a 12 hour day and a 4hour journey and finally to experience the delights of an over cooked croquette and vegetables that had been hanging around all day, but only after I had to threaten that I would happily check out and find another hotel. Little did I realised that I wouldn't be able to as the check in staff also finish at 2100.
THIS IS NOT A HOTEL OPERATING FOR THE CUSTOMER. AT BEST IT CAN BE CLASSIFIED AS AN AVERAGE BED AND BREAKFAST.

The good news is breakfast, food food and you'll meet RHOY brilliant man! Always happy and understands service

I AM MORE THAN DISAPPOINTED THAT THE AA EVEN CONSIDERED THEM FOR STARS AS A PROFESSIONAL ORGANISATION I EXPECT MORE IN THEIR CLASSIFICATIONS.

Wait I have not finished yet.
"Would you like assistance with your bags sir?"
" Not if its not too far?"
"Don' worry it's only one flight to room 18" NO IT'S NOT. IT'S FOUR STAIRCASES! I normally call the asthma card early, I had no breath to!

Entering the room, I am obliged to say that:
If you consider this an EXECUTIVE SUITE, then you don' get out enough!

THIS HAS TO BE THE SMALLEST BATHROOM IN A HOTEL ROOM IN THE WORLD, and trust me I have travelled the world in some very third world situations and some very first world countries. I have 000,000's of traveller miles under my belt.

. I'm an ex rugby player, so I can't play the skinny card, but trust me; to sit on this loo is a challenge for even my nymph like wife.

Don' t have a shower in the oversized bath in the bedroom, feel sorry for the room below with the predictable overflow of water!

This just does not figure in any style magazine and don't be fooled by the pictures on the website!

Got to go to get some sleep mid day as you can't in the evening, late returners see to that , no,not when the bar shuts downstairs at 2230, but any time after 0200-0500 hey ho there you go .....

Breakfast was good, but you would of expected this from a B&B, shame the price made me expect more ............£100 for a room per night, out of season makes you realise the Premier inn coming fourth in the best hotel awards 2012 at £28 get it! I expected more than a rattling door. This is not about price, this is about Mis advertising! Shabby 3 star, lucky to be 1.......

• Stayed October 2012
7 Thank Goodfoodknight
DukeManager, General Manager at Duke of Normandie Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Just to clear up a few points. We are the only hotel in central St Peter Port with a car park. We do not have any 'executive suites', but do have 'executive doubles'. Our front desk is open until 10.30/11pm. We are always willing to move guests to another room should they not like the room they are allocated upon arrival. We occasionally get some noise disturbance, but we are a town centre hotel. We are always striving to improve our offering and make sure our customers are happy.