“Better for casual breaks than business trips”

Duke of Normandie Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Better for casual breaks than business trips”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed at the Duke of Normandie for one night for a recent business trip. The hotel was recommended to me by a business contact, and, given the reasonable price tag, I booked a stay without much other research. I was happy enough with the hotel - my room was very smart, clean, and well-equipped, but wasn't overly spacious. I spent one night working from the desk in my room, and this was a little cramped and uncomfortable - a large desk and proper chair would have made life easier. Furthermore, the WIFI was free, but the connection was erratic and I had to keep logging back in via the web browser - a little frustrating. The hotel is very centrally-located, so useful for getting around St. Peter Port. Breakfast was included in the price, which included lots of choice and which was tasty, and the breakfast staff were good. My meetings over-ran on the morning that I was due to check out, so I checked out a couple of hours late - thankfully, the hotel didn't bill me for the extra time, which I appreciated. The staff were efficient and attentive but not overly warm (maybe they were annoyed with me about the late check out, oops - I did apologise!). My impression was that the hotel is perfect for the casual traveller, and it's fairly good value, but I probably wouldn't go back there for a business trip.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I found the Duke of Normandy on the Internet, after not having much luck with travel agents finding a hotel for our family of 5 (3 kids aged 16 to 19). Right from the first point of contact via email with the hotel I found them extremely helpful with both emailing myself and posting material to booking. This hotel met most expectations. It was very clean, huge rooms, comfortable beds, handy to the town - only a 2 minute walk, very friendly staff and value for money. The only drawback to the hotel was no lift, but this is to be expected for the period in which the hotel was built (I think). We were also placed next door to each other, as we needed two rooms. No other hotel on our trip managed to be so accommodating. They have a great bar, restaurants on site and a very satisfying breakfast.

We also managed to leave some items behind which the hotel was very obliging and posted back to our home for us.

I would be more than happy to stay at the Duke of Normandie again and happily recommend to others. Big thumbs up to Paul in the dining room and bar and also to the staff in reception for their patience while the kids were indecisive on which movie to hire. Great movie library :).

Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: We had a room that had a bath and not a shower. Lucky for us our kids had a shower in their bathroom...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Helen P
Zakynthos, Greece
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed at The Duke of Normandie for 4 nights recently for our 31st wedding anniversary and can only say is that the hotel was fantastic. The welcome when we arrived was really warm and friendly and the room was amazing. The breakfast was brilliant and lots of choice very well presented on the cold buffet and the cooked selection was amazing. The food in the patisserie is excellently cooked and served,nothing is too much trouble. The hotel is in the centre of St Peter's Port and is brilliant. We can't wait to return. We couldn't find anything negative at all. The atmosphere is really good too and everybody is really friendly. The hotel is spotlessly clean. Thanks again for a brilliant stay,can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for an executive room, it had a fantastic bathroom and lots of space
1 Thank maxine d
Mirfield
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We were pleased with our stay at St. Peter Port in the Duke of Normandie Hotel. The room was small but very well equipped and comfortable. Decorated and furnished in a contemporary design the room had been given much thought when refurbished. Breakfasts offered a selection of food to satisfy most tastes which was well prepared and served. All the hotel staff were very attentive.
We would certainly stay here again but try to get a larger room next time

We used the hotel as a base to sample Trip Advisor restaurants and we have submitted reviews on

Old Quarter Restaurant

Pier 17

Le Nautique

Da Nello

Room Tip: Go for a larger room
Jersey
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here whilst in transit from England to Jersey, with a stopover in Sark, so we booked 2 non consecutive nights here as it was within walking distance of the ferry.
They kindly allowed us to leave our car in their very limited parking area, at no charge, and were helpful, friendly and cheerful.
We enjoyed the Tennerfest on both evenings, which was an amazing 3 courses for only £10, one of the very few places that has kept to the £10 price, the food was excellent value and beautifully presented. We heartily recommend them.

Herne, Germany
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Having studied Trip Advisor and checking and comparing prices we decided to stay at the Duke for a 3 night stay while on Guernsey.
We thoroughly enjoyed this hotel.
The staff were very friendly and attentive, especially our waiter Paul, who seemed to be always in attendance.
We were unlucky in that our luggage did not arrive with us, but the hotel gave us the necessary toiletries.
We were lucky that we were there during TENNERFEST because the hotel offered an excellent menu for 10 pounds.
The room that we had was modern, spacious, comfortable and we enjoyed the luxury of the extremely plush towels. The built in wardrobe was huge and the room had a flat screen TV, I-Pod station, free wifi, and the usual tea making facilities. If you have a smoker in your party they will enjoy this hotel.
The hotel is about 80 meters from the main shopping street and must be one of the only hotels in the town with a parking space. We were there in October and the flower baskets were being re planted for winter but I can imagine that the flower display in sumer is fantastic.
We booked over Booking.com and the value for money was top.

Room Tip: All seem to be good
1 Thank klopstock
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My wife and I visited Guernsey for a long weekend, to meet up with a friend whom I had met whilst intermittently working on the island over the previous eighteen months. I normally stayed at the St.Pierre Park when on business, which enjoys a central island location, however, wanted to be closer to the coast and the center of St Peters Port. After one or two searches and an excellent offer we chose the Duke of Normandie and it turned out to be an excellent selection.

The room was excellent, all of the hotel staff were very helpful and friendly, especially the restaurant team. The hotel is very close to the main shopping area but still private when accessed through its courtyard. You are only five minutes from the harbour front where there is a large array of yatchs and a commercial harbour where ferries leave for other Channel Islands and the mainland ports of Poole, Weymouth etc.

As the around the island buses do not run on a Sunday at this time of year (make a note, as we left it until the Sunday, wrongly assuming they ran every day) However, we hired a car (Avis) for £33, which isn't bad at all and they delivered it to the hotel. They also let us keep it and drop it back at the airport when we went back for our flight on Monday lunch time. So taking off the taxi fare that we saved, the car only cost around £20! You can drive around the island of Guernsey quite easily in a day and there are many really good sites and beaches to visit.

In October and November there is the Tennerfest, where most restaurants and hotels offer fixed price menus from £10 to £20 and at their usual quality. We ate in the hotel Brasserie on two nights for a little over £30 for two people, this included three courses and a decent bottle of wine. There are also many excellent restaurants within a few minutes walk and I can recommend Le Petit Bistro (turn left down the cobbled pedestrian precinct and follow your nose) or Pier 17 (as you would expect, in the middle of the harbour), both only a five minute walk away.
There was nothing to complain about re the hotel, however, take care to have a sat-nav if you drive there, as it isn't easy to find otherwise!

Room Tip: As other travellers have mentioned, there is a lack of lifts, so may not be good for disabled travel...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends