“great Christmas break”

Duke of Normandie Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 15 January 2009

We stayed there for 5 days on a Christmas break and absolutly loved it. It's a small hotel in the middle of town, yet calm and quiet. We were on a full board basis and enjoyed the service and the food alike, every day.
The room we were given was stunning. Large and bright with a state-of-the-art equipement. Minibar, flat screen TV with DVD player; bathrobes, everything to make yourself feel even better than at home! The staff and management were our favourites and we would go back there, just for them. they kept us entertained with different musicians playing every night.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank grannyemma

Reviewed 10 December 2008

great location, very helpful staff. we ve especially enjoy the different member of the reception as well as the manager (a tall man with a tie). dinning in either the bar or the restaurant is a good option. the rooms are mordern and fully equiped. good value, i would come back without esitation.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EnglandTeapot
Reviewed 6 December 2008

I went to the Duke of Normandie Hotel for business, when I made the booking the hotel was nearly fully booked and there was only the executive rooms available. I decided to take one and now I am really happy I did. The rooms was spacious, modern and very clean (I could also see a bit the sea from my room). All the staff was very polite and helpful, everytime I asked something it was done quickly and with a natural smile (I really think they do their job with pleasure). I went to the restaurant and the food and the service was excellent.
Well everything was excellent and I will return to the hotel if I have to come back to Guernsey.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank GA13
Reviewed 20 November 2008

Well I got to say that I was well impressed with the executive rooms, modern & cosey. Granted the weather wasn't exactly stellar, but unlike mosty people I don't let that dampen my spirits.
It was almost a joy to be confined to the room due to the rain.

When I needed to stretch my legs I discovered the bar. It was warm, inviting, friendly and full of character (and characters). The staff did what they could to make me feel welcome. Regardless of how busy they were, or how stressed they seemed, they always had time for a smile.

To be honest I didn't expect anything before I came as I usually stay in 3 or 4 star hotels. But taking into considderation that it is a two star hotel. It far exceeded what I expected. Granted it did have some flaws, but the staff did all that they could to help or at very least find a decent compramise.

I can not comment about the standard rooms since I never saw them, but I can recomend the executive rooms to anyone more use to the better things in life.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank Fury1112
Reviewed 1 November 2008

Room rate was £84 a night for a standard double room, this was overpriced for the quality that we received.
First we were put in a room on the ground floor off the 'courtyard' which was really a car park hence the motel feel. The room's decor was very dated (70's) with bright yellow walls, floral curtains+duvet and had a musty smell. The furniture was old and tatty. No remote for the tv. The drawer fronts on the chest of drawers weren't even fixed on so we couldn't use them. We complained at reception and were told nothing could be done until the maintenance guy arrived on Monday. This obviously wasn't acceptable so we asked to change rooms.
The 'new' room (on the first floor, accessed via a wooden rickety balcony) was better but still dated. The tv remote didn't work. The flush on the toilet didn't work well and by the end of the week the only way to get it to flush was to take the cistern lid off+hold the ballcock down!!!
The room was also very dark as the external balcony had a canopy that was blocking the light.
Really the only positive thing was it's very central location but this was also a downside as on Friday&Saturday nights rowdy hotel guests woke us up in the small hours of the morning!
St Peter's Port could do with a premier inn where you get light, modern accommodation for a fraction of the price of the private hotels.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SwadTraveller
Reviewed 7 October 2008

First the good points. Recently refurbished reception area & restaurant. Good breakfast and excellent evening meal on one night we dined there. A good location near the centre of the town.
Now the bad(very bad) point. The bedroom was dark and dingy, with 2 small windows and no view, considering the location of the hotel, posssibly none of the rooms had a view. It was badly in need of redecoration and refurbishment, from the colour scheme we thought it had last been refurbished in the 70's. The handbasin in the bedroom was badly cracked, the toilet roll holder was broken, the soap dispenser in the shower was broken, handles on drawers were loose and some missing. Faults were reported and loose drawer handles were tightened. The hotel and travel agent refused to accept any responsibility but the hotel offered a complimentary weekend, which we refused as 7days was sentence enough in that place. Not a hotel to recommend.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank teithiau
Reviewed 26 September 2008

We recently stayed at this hotel and found the hotel and staff to be very good. The rooms appear to be undergoing renovation but the fittings were modern. The room was also a good size. For those who wish to visit the Priaulx Library for family history, this hotel is well placed.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple