“I keep coming back... and I usually only stay in 5* hotels” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Duke of Normandie Hotel

Duke of Normandie Hotel
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“I keep coming back... and I usually only stay in 5* hotels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

Working as a Contractor in Guernsey, I need a hotel that is cheap enough for me to be able to afford to stay here (I pay my own expenses) yet meets my (exceedingly!) high standards - I'm used to staying in 5* hotels.

Having stayed in 5 other hotels on the island that my colleagues recommended, I've found that The Duke of Normandie manages to meet my needs so well that I have been 'living here' for a month and plan to stay here for the rest of my contract.

It is fairly central in the main part of St Peter Port, yet being close to the Courthouse in a quieter area of town (not that town is generally noisy!). It is a 2/3 minute walk to the Harbour & sea front (down hill).

The rooms vary in size, a single has a double bed, and a double a king. All are clean and well presented, with everything in working order.

All the staff are friendly and bend over backwards to help you - from Reception offering to carry your bags, to the Bar Staff remembering your 'usual' tipple, and Breakfast staff how you prefer your eggs.

The food is good, healthy, pub grub in The Admiral's Bar. I'm busy working through the bar menu, then starting on the Restaurant :)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Hamburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2010

Due to a job interview I had to stay in Guernsey for a night, I booked a standard room online.
It was my first time on Guernsey and if everybody is as friendly as the reception staff, I can only recommend the island as the most welcoming place I've been so far.
The check in was accompanied by comprehensive information about the hotel and facilities.
As I said before, I had booked a standard room, I've seen pictures of it on the website, so no surprise, but I soon realized the old-fashioned setup of the rooms is not for me, so I went back to reception and asked for an upgrade to one of their executive rooms, which was done with no qarrels at all.
Seeing the room in real life, I have to say the supplement was well worth it. Modern furniture and a really nice bathroom.
I haven't used the restaurant so I can't say anything about it, but the bar is the perfect complement for the hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Weybridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

Having stayed here and reading all of the reviews, there appears to be a massive difference in quality with the rooms on offer. The room I was allocated bared absolutely no resemblance to the photos on their website.

I am a frequent visitor to Guernsey for business and normally stay in the excellent Moores or La Fregate but sadly both were fully booked so I was forced to stay at the Duke of Normandie. The room I was given in the courtyard was absolutely disgusting and a disgrace at £104 per night. Sadly I can't remember the room number but it was the first room on the right as the enter the carpark. It looked like it was last decorated in the 1970s and stank of mould.

On checking in (late in the evening) the fuse blew as I turned on the switch and all the lights went out. It took the porter an age to fix as they had no spare fuses so he had to go and take fuses and lightbulbs out of the other unoccupied rooms until he found ones that worked!

There was no hot water in the morning so I had to have a cold shower followed by a shave in a dimly lit bathroom as the porter couldn't find a lightbulb for the bathroom mirror.

The reception on the TV was appalling and unwatchable. The blind for the door was too small so it was impossible to block out the light.

The location of the hotel is very good right in the centre of town and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Winchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

Fortunately we were just staying one night. Location is good as was breakfast. The refurbished parts of the hotel that we saw - reception and restaurant - were fine. Our room in the courtyard smelt damp, had mouldy carpet in one corner, the shower had black mould and the litter bin had not been emptied. The receptionist's comment that it would all be fine after the refurbishment was scant consolation as I paid the £100 bill for one night's B&B!

1 Thank RobertHunt
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

The hotel is hidden away up a cobbled street accessed through an archway off one of the main streets in St Peter Port. It is handy for the sea front, harbour, restaurants, bars and buses.

The hotel is set round a courtyard (car park) and they have rooms in the main hotel as well as chalet type rooms outside. We stayed in the main hotel which is a very old building so access was up some stairs (not sure if they have a lift).

The room was very clean, modern and well equipped. We had one of the two rooms (room 18 and room 20) that have a bath in the bedroom. It was set on a raised area in one corner with lights on the bottom and lights on the top. When we asked where the shower was we were told we were in one of the honeymoon suites. I enjoyed the bath but I also like a shower.

The bed was kingsize and very comfortable and the quilt was excellent. I had a really good nights sleep.

The breakfast was good with plenty of choice and the reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

The only down side is that there is a public bar at the back of the hotel and late at night some of the smokers were stood under our window shouting and swearing but not for long.

On the whole a very reasonably priced good hotel in a great location.

Southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

For a close to home honeymoon, we decided to go to Guernsey and booked 5 nights in the Duke of Normandie. On our arrival we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist, Jacob, who welcomed us and pointed us in the direction of our room. Our room, one of the double executive rooms, was beutifully decorated with big TV, mini bar, huge wardrobe, ipod doc and dressing table. The bed was only a double and I would have expected at least a kingsize for the price we paid, but it was very very comfortable.
We discovered a couple of problems on our first night... the bed creaked every time I moved, the toilet didn't flush, and the shower pressure and water went off half way through! I spoke to reception, and by lunch time the next day all these problems had been sorted with much apologising, so we were happy with this.
We ended up eating in the bar most nights as the food was so so good. We met the chef, Barry, too and he was a nice guy. I would recommend any of the paninis, and the lasagne, which was home made (always a good sign)! The guy behind the bar, Chris, was incredibly friendly and happy to chat to us and help us find things to do on Guernsey. Not so happy with the two girls behind the bar who barely acknowledged us and were rather grumpy!
In the mornings we had breakfast in the hotel each day, which was superb. There was a large buffet, a good choice of hot food (not just your usual full english or kippers, but eggs, or croissants and other things). The waiting staff were always very friendly and the service was incredibly fast and polite.
Our room was above the restaurant, and close to the bar, but this made no difference whatsoever to our stay. even on Friday night when there was music, when we decided to go to bed we could not hear it. Also, when a few blokes were getting rowdy outside, the staff took care to tell them to keep it down for the residents, something not a lot of hotel staff will do.
Unfortunately, we had to leave a day early, but we were so pleased with this hotel that we will definitely be back.
Oh, and the used of the DVD library and the laptop made our stay extra special!
All in all, an excellent hotel. Good location, 5 minutes from town (although it is up a hill, its only a small one).

Solihull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

Our room, in the main hotel, was lovely - modern, clean and very comfortable. The ensuite was large and again, modern. The only negative was the clear glass in the bathroom window and no blind!
The food in both the restaurant and pub was excellent and very well priced. Location was good with short stroll to all the shops and front. I have stayed at the Best Western which is nearby and would not stay there again. This hotel, however, I would recommend to anyone - providing they had a room in the main building. I believe that most of the negative comments come from staying in the annex which surrounds the courtyard and I, too, would not have fancied having a room there.
Be warned - the shops are shut on Sunday and Bank holidays. Bus trips are 60p no matter how far you travel. We took and easy ride from the airport to St Peters Port. Hotel near enough to walk from the bus station, providing your case has wheels. The bus journey round the whole island for 60p is a bargain. We met several great local people on the bus, who were happy to point out bits and pieces.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple