“Great base for holidaying in guernsey!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Dunchoille

Dunchoille
Dunchoille
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Great base for holidaying in guernsey!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Just returned home today from 3 nights stay at the Dunchoille in a single room. I was over visiting relatives in st peter port and the hotel was in excellent location easy walking distance of the centre. Whist over in guernsey i became ill with a bug and i found the staff very helpful and cudnt do enough for me. which i would like to say a very big thank you to all the staff and owners. very friendly place and i would love to go back and stay there again. not bad prices either as i priced a few hotels in guernsey which charged alot more. lovely decorated bar area very cosy and modern.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ameriehughes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
glasgow
Reviewed 6 August 2012

My colleague and I stayed here for one night as we were in Guernsey on business.
I don't agree with the previous comment about the staff as the girl who checked us in (Agnes) was very pleasant and helpful. She also spent a while the following morning on the phone trying to get us a taxi. (We'll know for next time -if you need a taxi book in advance.)
My room overlooked the garden, was clean and had everything I needed including a tea tray and full length mirror which some hotels don't supply. I had to ask for a hairdryer, but it was no problem. My colleague's room was a lot smaller than mine though.
I would probably describe this hotel as more of a guest house, as the rooms did feel more like being in a house than a hotel, but for the price we paid (£98 for two of us for one night) compared to the price of the upmarket hotels at £100 each per night I think it was good value for money.
It was also nice to be able to sit in the garden and have a drink before walking (a leisurley 15 minute walk) into town for something to eat.
Overall I would say it was a good, budget hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank glasgowgirl69
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I spent one night here on business and I am glad it was not for longer. On arrival the receptionist was unpleasant, said that we had to pay on arrival which made me slightly suspicious and then walked me to my room. She unlocked the door for me but then walked off, perhaps knowing that my reaction would not have been positive had she shown me in to the room.

My room was an acceptable size but was full of mis-match furniture that was all very far past its best. It was cluttered, dirty and mostly damaged. Whilst my bed appeared clean, the bathroom did not. The shower was full on the previous guests hair, the sink was grubby and the floor hadn't been cleaned. There was a hole in the wall next to the air vent that would have made the room very cold had it not been solved by the heating on full blast. The bed wasn't very comfortable but then I am not the type of person that can sleep anywhere - just as I was about to sleep the person in the room next door must have been having a shower as I could hear it loud and clear.

Overall, although I felt relatively safe and secure, managed to have an acceptable nights sleep and was not ill from the breakfast, However, I feel that I should be able to expect to be comfortable for the stay, enjoy the experience and want to return. I will not return to this hotel and I certainly wont be recommending it! Good luck.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank BStone1989
Dunchoille, Owner at Dunchoille, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
We totally refute the allegations made here. Clearly the lady in question did not like the hotel before she arrived.

The young lady on reception was pleasant and the manager was present at the time of check in. The company's policy is payment before arrival.

The room is in excellent condition and has been used throughtout the season by many guests without any complaints.

The lady only had a cup of coffee for breakfast, so she could not be ill through the breakfast which is cooked to order, and if she had had a cooked breakfast she would have appreciated how cood it is.

If she was truly unhappy with her room, why did she not bring this up with reception during her stay???

Clearly the room must have been acceptable to her, otherwise she would have check out.

Travellers are raving about these St Peter Port hotels

chesterfield
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We have recently returned to this hotel as we had a fabulous holiday here previously, which has now been tastefully refurbished. The hotel accomodation was as good as ever, together with the upgraded en suite bedrooms it made it a pleasure to stay there again. The breakfast was excellent particularly the chilli omelette which was recommended to me by a member of staff and was delicious. Also on Sundays I recommend you ask for Mark's special pancakes. All the staff were exceptionally friendly towards us as a returning guests and the Island was as beautiful as ever. We will definately be returing again next year.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank gemgemchesterfield
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Spent 3 nights here and it was a ok budget hotel. Staff were friendly and professional. Large, clean inground pool outside and nice garden area. Breakfast was good, nothing great but good way to start the day. Room was a bit dated but good to sleep in. Only complaint was it was a bit warm and we booked 2 rooms but were given 1 with 3 beds as they were overbooked. One complaint was it seemed there were lots of long term guests there (construction workers, etc) and they were always at the bar at night being rude and noisey. We didn't want to sit inside due to this so we sat outdoors. They came out and urinated all over the patio/gardens numerous times. Wouldnt stay here again but ok for 3 nights. Only other complaint is 20 min walk out of town or 6 pound cab ride.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Luke M
Dunchoille, Owner at Dunchoille, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
These guest had originally booked a triple room for their stay, but were given a special rate.

We do not have "lots" of long term guest, and the few we have are not in the construction industry. We do have some short term construction workers stay with us, although they may be slightly noisy are not rude.

With regards to the urinating, if true, why was this not raised with receiption there and then, or at the latest the next morning?? But on questioning the residents that were present during this stay they denied doing this, and we would point out that there are toilets by the pool, in reception and in their rooms, so they had no need to do this.

The cost of taxis is out of our control, also there is a bus route that runs hourly from town past the hotel until 20:55 and this costs only £1.00.
Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2012

May 5th 2012 and have just spent a week at the Dunchoille. After reading some of the very old reviews ( around 2005 - which really should be taken off here as no longer applyng at all) I was very pleasantly surprised to find a lovely hotel with the staff incredibly obliging. The place was immaculately clean and the food was to die for - lovingly cooked with fresh Guernsey produce in the full English breakfast. My room had everything I wanted, including TV, tea and coffee tray, phone and what looked like a spanking new shower room. Free wi-fi available too, and use of the computer terminal. My quiet room overlooked the garden with lawn and arum lilies blooming, which opens off the bar/lounge. I look forward to returning on my next trip to Guernsey.

Room Tip: Tell Mark, the manager, what your priorities are and he will be happy to choose the best fit for yo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The staff were friendly and helpful, breakfast was hot and enjoyable, rooms were the right size for what i booked and were also clean and very decorative. shower was good and i was made to feel welcome from the minute i stepped through the door to the minute i left. very good experience and i would use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
#11 of 19 in St Peter Port
Wayside Cheer Hotel
Wayside Cheer Hotel
#5 of 6 in Castel

Been to Dunchoille? Share your experiences!