“What a let down”
Review of L'Eree Bay Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in St Peter Port
L'Eree Bay Hotel
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Ok first things first, I stayed here whilst visiting Guernsey on this occasion to attend a funeral so admit from the off that I was not very forgiving or really in the same holiday mood that I normally am when visiting this beautiful island. I had seen the hotel from the outside on previous visits and thought it had looked ok and was in a great location so didn't have a problem when choosing to stay there, until getting there that is.

The first thing I noticed was how dated the lobby/reception and the dining area looked and this theme continued all the way through (with the exception of the brasserie). It was all very late 70's, early 80's but not in a good or retro way. The room we stayed in was in dire need of a makeover starting with the bed – as I sat on it I could feel the springs coming through the mattress, the pillows were like pancakes and the headboard was very worn and loose so could not be rested on. So we asked at reception if we could have another mattress or be moved to another room and were informed that neither was available. Next was the shower, which was the type that runs off the mixer taps and is attached to a fitting on the wall. Not a problem, I have used this type many times with no problem, except that on this occasion the only way to have a shower was to hold the shower head with 1 hand and wash with the other because when fixed to the wall the shower head was on the side of the bath at more or less an upright angle and could not be adjusted, making it impossible to shower normally. The rest of the things wrong with the room were minor in themselves but all together just added to the misery, e.g. tatty rusting bin, room very warm at night, VERY dodgy wiring for the hair dryer, a toilet that was very stiff to flush etc. In addition when I asked to borrow an iron and ironing board I was informed there wasn't 1, which was another first for me

When going for breakfast the next morning I was really hoping that the hotel was really going to redeem itself, but alas not. The sausages were awful, the bacon watery, the coffee horrible and the sauces watered down that much it was like pouring coloured vinegar on your food, it was basically the cheapest of the cheap. Next was the outdoor “heated” pool – it was freezing and after 10 minutes I had to get out. This was when I bumped into the manager/chef and spoke to him regarding my issues. As for the pool he informed me that it was heated 24hrs a day and he could take me to the boiler room to show me (which I declined), but as for my other observations I was informed I could have a refund and leave if I wished – but got nothing in the way of apology. I decided I didn't want the hassle of looking for somewhere else whilst preparing for a funeral so stayed.

I am trying to be fair to the place and there is a few positives, like great sea views, free wi-fi and a laptop with a printer downstairs, a good bus service to town and other parts of the island and hard working staff who do keep all areas very clean. That said I would never stay at this hotel again and would recommend others to avoid it. I am aware that it is only a 2* hotel but it falls way below the standards of what Guernsey has to offer for a similar price which is a real shame.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank murf-707

Reviewed 28 June 2011

Good location but the hotel was in much need of refurbishment. Very dark and dismal. Restaurant had old chipped tablemats and the breakfast left a lot to be desired.Cooked was eggs, bacon, tasteless sausages, tomatoes, cheap baked beans and scrambled egg that looked as if it was in a tray of milk!! Boring cereals or tinned grapefruit and chopped up apple with skin on every morning. Staff at breakfast were not that friendly no smiles or chat, didn;t understand when I asked for some toast! We ate in the evening the day we arrived and the set 3 course meal for £12.50 was good and well cooked. Shame the breakfast wasn't the same. We did not eat in again as there were so many good places around the island that served good food in a much better enviroment.
Our first room no.22 was 3 single beds a wash basin in the bedroom! A bathroom with a bath and a grotty hand shower that had a piece of string to turn it on. No way could you have a shower as no curtain. Requested another room and got no 30 on top floor, double bed and bunk beds! The double bed had the most creaky old mattress I have ever seen and consequently we couldn't sleep much. Gave up complaining although Frosty was always apologetic (no doubt has had a lot of practice!) He should stick to his cooking and move to a better hotel. We found some very good hotels around the island and one was only £2 a night more and had lovely rooms and mega range breakfast, Win some lose some this one was definately a loser. A shame as the views were great and the pool looked good if the weather had been warmer. Just be careful if you book not to expect too much.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a proper shower
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trixie053
Reviewed 24 June 2011

The hotel was clean and the room comfortable. The bed creaked a bit! The staff were friendly and very obliging, nothing seemed too much trouble.The food was uniformly excellent, ample portions and well presented.. There was no bad smell from the beach, just the normal seaweed. The WiFi coverage is excellent with multiple access points, in fact I'm typing this from the bedroom! We enjoyed our stay very much and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jfshw
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Despite only being a 2 star hotel we found it to be excellent especially the food which was always fresh hot and very tasty.
The previous reports of a sewage smell was when the tide was out and the rocks and seaweed exposed, not a problem to us a we live at the seaside.
The staff were very polite and couldn't be more helpful, the room was clean and tidy.

Overall we had a great time in Guernsey. A special thanks to Mark Frost and his team.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ian190788
Reviewed 12 May 2011

The hotel was clean,lovely views,good area.Breakfast was good and plentiful. However it is a bit tired and the one big downside was there was no shower in the en suite only a bath.If you are not very mobile be sure and let them know as there can be lots of stairs to climb to some rooms. Overall it was a good stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank pensioner62
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We booked a four day break and choose this hotel due to location. We were very surprised by the quality, much more like a 3 star. The staff are friendly, our family room very clean and tidy (fresh towels every day without asking), lovely views and the food was wonderful. Great portions at dinner and a serve yourself buffet breakfast. The brasserie/bar was busy although we ate in the restaurant. There is also a public bar but we didn't get out of the other bar!!! There is a outdoor swimming pool but we went at the wrong time of year for that! All together this hotel exceeded our expectations. We thoroughly recommend it and will come again.

Room Tip: Most rooms have views, its not on flight path.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank titiangirl
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Cannot believe that a Guernsey hotel serves CANNED TOMATOES for breakfast. No mushrooms. The breakfast waitress never smiled, never acknowledged us, shrugged her shoulders when asked a question. Reception is unattended more than attended, the place is a rabbit warren with no signs telling you where things are. We specifically asked for a room on a low floor (asthma), but were put up two flights. The shower head has not been cleaned forever and just dribbles. With such a perfect location, this should be a brilliant place. In desparate need of a re-furb.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 19 in St Peter Port
Abbey Court Hotel
Abbey Court Hotel
#15 of 19 in St Peter Port

Been to L'Eree Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!