“Great situation, great staff”

Fermain Valley Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We were prepared to be underwhelmed by a chintzy experience, but it was actually very nice and not remotely stuffy. We may have been fortunate with the weather, but irrespective, the staff were superb (friendly, accommodating, professional) and the breakfast was very good. A short stroll down the hill is rewarded with Fermain Bay and a lovely beach cafe. I would recommend this hotel .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MrnMrsBales
Robert S, General Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear MrnMrsBales,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is lovely to share with the staff your experience at the hotel and that they acted superbly.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Fermain Valley Hotel at some point in the near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We only stayed at this hotel overnight on our way to Sark but it was a very enjoyable if short experience.
All the staff are friendly and efficient and the room was well appointed and comfortable.
The hotel offered a well cooked and tasty dinner and an excellent breakfast.
We must stay for a few days in Guernsey in this hotel next time, rather than rushing off to the neighbouring island of Sark.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank uptheshots

Dear uptheshots,

I was thrilled to read your review and pleased that you enjoyed the overnight experience on your way to Sark. Should you ever find the time to enjoy a few days here on Guernsey before going to the lovely Sark, please call me and I will be delighted to make the arrangements for your next stay at Fermain Valley Hotel.
Best regards,

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed for four nights in a Silver room in The Venue section of the hotel. These rooms are in a separate block from the main part of the hotel, connected by a steep garden path.

The main part of the hotel is beautifully laid out and furnished, with lovely lounges, restaurant, and terrace overlooking the steep garden towards the bay. Staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful and organised our (complimentary) collection from the airport and return to the airport at the end of our stay. The walk down to Fermain Bay takes a few minutes but is very steep in parts and coming back is a hard slog, takes longer, and is not for those with mobility problems.

Breakfast comprised a wide ranging good quality buffet plus a choice of hot dishes to order. A minor irritation was that, although the Channel islands are famous for their premium dairy products, the hotel chooses to offer only watery fully skimmed milk for breakfast! In my view, this is horrible on cereals and next to useless in coffee. Didn't really understand this aberration as the butter at breakfast was delicious. We enjoyed a couple of simple evening meals from the "lounge" menu, although full table d'hote and a la carte menus are also available in the main restaurant.

We found the repeated trekking to and from our Venue room a bit of a slog, especially the uphill return. Our Silver room was very nicely furnished, including a comfortable bed and nice bathroom. A complimentary decanter of sherry, fresh fruit and local fudge was also a nice touch. However, the room was a bit cramped and cluttered (about 15 sqm excluding the bathroom) with inadequate wardrobe storage. The small in room fridge made a gurgling sound but didn't work despite reporting this to Reception after the first day. The room was very clean except for the exterior of the bedroom window, which was very dirty and obviously had not been cleaned for weeks/months. The rooms do not have air conditioning and therefore it was necessary to have the bedroom window open for much of our stay. This meant a lot of traffic noise early morning and evening from the busy narrow main road running in front of the Venue building, although this did not disturb our sleep unduly.

We enjoyed our break in Guernsey but would not return to a Silver room in the Venue, which we feel are a bit overpriced and overall did not meet our 4 star expectations.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main part of the hotel are more convenient and probably queiter than in the Venue.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank margaretandgraham

Dear Margeretandgraham,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Fermain Valley Hotel.
I am pleased that you enjoyed many of the facilities we have on offer including the décor, food and benefited from the courtesy bus.
I am sorry that you found your room rather small, I have asked our reservations team to add a note to your guest profile, so that should you decide to return to the hotel, we are able to find you a more suitable room.
We do advise at time of booking that the Venue rooms are in a separate building located a short walk through our award-winning gardens and it is appreciated that it is rather steep; therefore I recommend booking a Gold room in the main hotel which I believe will meet your expectations.
I hope that we have another opportunity in the future to welcome you back to our hotel.

Best regards

Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

It is very difficult to find any fault with this hotel. We had a gold room 31 with a balcony facing down the valley to the sea. It had the noise of a boiler outside but after an initial complaint, it was obviously part of the infrastructure of the building, so nothing could be done to resolve it. However, like a railway at the bottom of your garden, you don't notice it after a while ! That said, the weeks stay was faultless. The breakfasts are some of the best we have ever had; the rooms are spotless and cleaned and renewed every day; the beds are very comfortable and the staff are all efficient an d welcoming. Gavin and Sara at reception dealt with our every need, including organising the hotel shuttle bus to St Peter Port. No real need to hire a car. The bus stop is at the top of the road. Lunch and Dinners are superb at the hotel and the serving staff are super efficient. There is a superb indoor pool and small sun terrace. All in all a very pleasant surprise. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank johnpetersfield

Dear John Petersfield,
How very kind of you to make such lovely comments on Trip Adviser, thank you.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the balcony room looking down the Valley; we do try to keep all of our machinery in good condition so that the noises are not too disruptive. I am pleased that you enjoyed the breakfasts and that Gavin and Sara were able to deal with your every need. I have also passed on your comments to the serving staff who were delighted to hear of your wonderful feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Fermain Valley Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

We had two gold rooms with balconies overlooking the bay. Very comfortable. Only slight annoyance was that extractors in the bathrooms did not work and coupled with strong spotlighting it meant they got very hot. Did report this at reception but nothing was done. Apart from that staff were very attentive, particularly in the restaurant where food was first class. Hotel is in a great area and ideal for visiting St Peter Port which is within walking distance, although up hill all the way coming back which meant bus/taxi was better option! If you stay there on holiday make sure you do boat trips to Sark and Herm - both very worthwhile. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Robert S, General Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear Colin H
Thank you so much for your review I write to advise that we are in the process of changing all the bulbs for low energy ones which will help a lot as to the extractor fans, it is a system we use here which is a ventilation hatch with the extractor being on the outside of the Hotel similar to many large offices, not a noisy individual extractor I am pleased that you found my staff attentive and the food first class we are as you mention well places for a lovely stroll into St peter Port and when the sun is shining like now, a visit to herm and Sark is always recommended I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future please call me directly to assist

Reviewed 27 June 2013

This was our first visit to Fermain Valley which I researched on Trip Advisor before we booked. We were not disappointed. Robert and his team need to be congratulated for their attention to detail. Our Gold Room - No 17 - was very comfortable and well appointed with the views across the bay. Liked the additional extras in the room - very nice touch. Very minor comments - bathroom got very hot during showers as extractor not working and disappointed that the mini-fridge was not working during our stay. We used the island buses rather than hire a car and didn't use the hotel courtesy bus which was our choice. Very wide choice on the table d'hote menu in the evening- cooked and presented beautifully. There is also a la carte to choose from.
Would definitely recommend and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Gold room at the front seemed to be the best to go for but there are also Platinum rooms which are b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hillcairnie

Dear Hillcairnie

Thank you so much for your lovely comments on Trip Advisor it is true many guests now look at this as a guide to how well the hotels are looking after their guests and I am very proud of my team
We are currently changing all our light bulbs for low emissions and upgrading our room ‘fridges I too enjoy the bus service on the Island I am pleased that our courtesy bus proved useful as well Our food is very important to us here and I am always pleased to read positive comments on how much you enjoyed it here. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Guernsey

With regards,

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I have stayed in this hotel before so was looking forward to returning. However this time I was not fortunate enough to have been given a room with a balcony overlooking the bay. Instead i found myself at the back of the hotel overlooking the bins. During the night it was very warm but I could not open the windows due to the noise of the generator (well I think thats what it was) and when I put the air conditioning on it sounded more like a very large hairdryer!!

Talking of which, after showering I couldn't find a hairdryer in the room anywhere! I had to call Reception and arrange for one to be delivered!!

We ate in their Rock Garden restaurant the previous evening which was wonderful.

Moral of the Story: Excellent hotel, very scenic but make sure you book a room overlooking the bay and check for a hairdryer when you arrive rather than waiting until you need it.

I will return

Room Tip: Book a room overlooking the bay
Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear Lady LouLou_13
I read you comments and have to agree the best rooms in the house are those overlooking the bay and sea I am looking into the fact that the air conditioning was too noisy On a good note I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the Rock Garden and that you will return in a gold balcony room
I do loose some of the hairdryers not sure where they go!
Best regards

#2 of 9 in St Martins
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Martins

Been to Fermain Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!