Fermain Valley Hotel
Ziggurat(St Peter Port)
US$164
  • Breakfast included
La Fregate Hotel(St Peter Port)
US$231
Hotels.com
US$187
US$189
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
La Piette Hotel(St Peter Port)
US$175
US$208
US$285
US$248
Great 4.5/5
Grange Lodge Hotel(St Peter Port)
US$146
US$141
Very Good 4/5
US$198
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrock gardenocean restaurantgold roomdecanter of sherryflight pathprivate cinemathe main hotelbeach cafetea roomthe clifflovely hotelcourtesy busfresh fruitsea viewfour star hotellovely touchlovely view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 November 2013

What a lovely hotel!!
I am local to the island but had never stayed over night before (just eaten at the Restaurants, which had always been good!)
On arrival the receptionist was very helpful and told us all about the hotel before personally showing us to our room.
The room itself was lovely, with beautiful decor and a balcony that over looked the woods and out to sea. It was a very clear day so we could see the neighbouring island of Jersey.
The room was clean and well equipped and even had complimentary Sherry, water, and a great selections of teas and coffees along with free Wifi which you don't often find in hotels these days!!
We used the swimming pool and ate in the main restaurant before having cocktails in The Rock Garden which is another place to eat in the hotel.
I would highly recommend the Fermain whether is a short break or holiday - great staff, great food - great place to stay.

Room Tip: We went for the Silver Room in the main hotel. Lovely room and perfect size for the two of us
1  Thank islandgirlinlondon
Robert S, General Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear Islandgirlinlondon,
Thank you very much for your kind words. I have passed your comments on to our staff who were all most pleased, especially our reception team.
I was also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the little extras we provided in your room, it is always our aim to ensure all of our guests have the most enjoyable and comfortable stay possible.
It is lovely to hear that you qwould recommend us to family and friends, we would love to welcome them or indeed welcome you back for another stay in the future.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Rosemary and I spent 5 days here in September. Overall, a very nice hotel, with good food, service and ambiance.

Be careful what rooms you book. The best are the most expensive: all face the sea, have balconies and are worth the money. We had the disabled room - only because it was available and the best remaining one for the view, but it didn't have the balcony. It made up for it by its size. Begin paying less, and you face away from the sea and look into a slope. Pay the least and you are not even in the hotel! You are in the conference/function annexe on top of the hill, and have to walk through the gardens to reach the hotels services.

The pool is small and indoors: attempts to open the sliding doors invariably met with resistance from other guests who preferred the fug of chlorine and steam. Don't rely upon it for a good swim! The sun deck is narrow, stepped and moves into shade quite readily in mid-late afternoon.

The gardens are lovely, but as the hotel is built on what seems to be a 1 in 4 slope, it takes a brave person to explore them all, as you need a rope and climbing boots to regain the hotel! Not quite that bad, but it is mighty steep.

The hotel is only about a quarter of the way down to the beach below, but that is still a few hundred feet down and back. Use your hire car and ignore the no entry signs half way down. Everybody else does. The bar/restaurant on the beach is good, but parking is limited.

One quirk of mine is that I like to have a toilet brush available in bathrooms, as I consider it utterly offensive to leave a dirty toilet behind for the next user - or the maids. Well, the hotel have a policy of not having any brushes, so, if I go back again, I'll have to pack some marigold gloves before getting stuck in. Daft - and inconsiderate, in my view.

We dined in one night, and whilst it was very pleasant, I felt that a few more choices would have been good. Perhaps they prefer to limit choice but do the choices well. It's a fair point. Breakfast is excellent.

Car parking is OK, but the one for the main hotel is a bit small. It might be necessary to use the annexe parking up on the main road.

Room Tip: You pays your money and you makes your choice. Phone the hotel first and talk to them!! That way you know what to expect. Some guests have felt short changed with their rooms, so I have read, but tell them what you want, and they will tell you how much it is. Then it's your choice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Halon1401F

Dear Halon1401F,
Thank you for taking the time to leave me some feedback after your recent stay with us at Fermain Valley Hotel.
Thank you for your kind comments and I was most pleased to hear how much you had enjoyed your dining experience in our Valley Restaurant.
I am sorry that you found the walk down through gardens steep, we do offer on request, transport for guests who find walking up or down the hill difficult as we have a permit for this. We would always discourage parking down the hill due to the very high fines which people can incur for parking or driving down to the beach.
Thank you for your feedback regarding our guest bathrooms. I have raised this issue with our housekeeping manager and we will be addressing this matter in the near future.

Once again thank you for leaving us kind words and I hope we will be able to welcome you back to The Fermain Valley Hotel. and as yu say telephone direct we can help

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We travelled as a party of 14 adults and teenagers to celebrate the Golden Wedding of our parents.

The oldies stayed for week Weds to Weds and the family stayed Friday to Sunday.

The island was very busy due to the 'Tennerfest Season' in which the hotel was participating. Consequently the hotel was also busy!

We were warmly welcomed and shown to our gold room which had a private balcony with seaview. The room was packed with complimentary items like Elemis bathroom products, a comprehensive selection of teas and coffees (including filter coffee and jug), bathrobes and slippers, fresh fruit and a decanter of sherry!!! Our room was warm, clean and had everything we needed to be comfortable. In fact - our room was too warm and we frequently had to open the balcony door to let in a healthy blast of sea air.

We ate all our meals in the main restaurant and they were all very good. The dinner menu was limited to the tennerfest set menu but it was quite comprehensive and everybody enjoyed what they had. For me personally, it was a little short of my 5 a day but nobody else seemed to mind. Breakfast was a mixture of self service and cooked to order. The eggs benedict was amazing. the Fermain Valley traditional breakfast was excellent and popular. Tea, coffee and toast just kept coming.

The boys all used the pool on Saturday afternoon and though on the small side, they all had fun and said the water was warm.

In the evening after dinner, we went to the Rock Garden bar. This was great - an excellent choice of drinks, even my favourite tipple 'tequila rose' was hidden in the fridge. The atmosphere was young and fun. A great place for a bite to eat or drink with friends. Good music and lighting with a lovely outside area for smokers with sofas and patio heaters.

The staff were great - very helpful and considerate. The General Manager looked after us very well and we felt gave a very personal and attentive service.

The location is beautiful. A very steep downhill walk takes you to the stunning Fermain Bay where you can follow the cliff paths either to St Peter Port or round to the more residential areas.

We have stayed here before and it was on our recommendation that the family returned, so I was pleased and relieved that everything lived up to expectations!

Well done and thank you everybody for helping to make a special occasion in our family such a happy one. See you soon....

Room Tip: The platinum rooms are very spacious but are in the older part of the hotel whereas the Gold rooms with seaview are smaller but modern.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Robert S, General Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear mel51E
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments
I am so pleased that all the family enjoyed the weekend and that the anniversary couple had time to relax afterwards. I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed all the room additions and that the children so enjoyed the pool.
Our Rock garden is very popular for drinks and food I was pleased to read that you all enjoyed this too!
Tennerfest is now drawing to a close and has proved very sucessful this year again, now we are prparing for the Advent season and so looking forward to hanging the decorations.
Do come and see us again, the Hotel really warms to a big family occassion. I am glad that your recommendation to the family was not misplaced.

Yours with thanks

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We had a great 4 day break in Guernsey, first time for us, went with a couple of friends, and this hotel certainly stands up to its reputation. The staff were very attentive,the reception manager was more than helpful and nothing to much trouble, the room was spacious and the sherry and fruit a nice touch, we ate in the hotel every night, and the restaurant staff were excellent, nothing bad to say. Check out the gardens very nice.

1  Thank gralaine

Dear Gralaine

I was pleased to read that you and your freinds all enjoyed a long weekend with us
Yes the sherry is a firm favorite with many of our guests I am pleased that you ate with us and found my staff all excellent
when you come over again, please let me know it would be great to welcome you back,

kind regards

Robert

Reviewed 7 November 2013

My husband and I have just come home after a four night stay in this wonderful hotel. It was 5* plus on everything. The room was fantastic lots of little extras like sherry, fruit and bottle water in the room and lots of coffee tea chocolate drinks which were refreshed every day. The hotel had a warm and cosy atmosphere. The staff were all very very pleasant and nothing was to much trouble for them. The breakfast was very good and plentiful - lots of very nice things and varied.
The tennerfest was such good value lovely 3 course meals for only £12.50. It was just the break we were hoping for after such a busy year. WE CAN NOT WAIT TO GO BACK AGAIN. THANK YOU EVERY ONE THAT MADE OUR LITTLE BREAK SO PERFECT.
SANDRA & ROBIN MORRISS

Room Tip: We chose a platinum room which was well worth the extra money
2  Thank sandyworthing

Dear Mr and Mrs Morriss,

Thank you so much for leaving such wonderful comments about your recent stay at Fermain Valley Hotel. I was very pleased to be able to share such kind words with my team. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed all the little extras we provided in your room. I was also delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your dining experience at The Valley Restaurant. I have passed on your kind words and the team are all most pleased.
It is always our aim to ensure all of our guests have a warm and welcoming stay. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.