“Very Good Hotel”

Fermain Valley Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have now stayed at the Fermain Valley on three occasions. The hotel is situated in a fabulous setting and we had a room with a sea view and a small balcony. The rooms are well equipped, clean and have extra touches such as the free bottled water in the fridge and a number of apples. The bathrooms are excellent. However on the second night of our stay there was a large function on at the Venue and it was obvious that most of the restaurant staff have been seconded there. As a result the service in the restaurant was slow and laboured and I felt sorry for the staff who were valiantly trying to cope.
Since our last visit the restaurant and reception area have been refurbished and the improvements were well received.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balcony
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Timothy C, Guest Relations Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Mike J,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such kind feedback following your most recent stay with us at The Fermain Valley Hotel. It is always such a pleasure to welcome guests back to the hotel especially when they have returned as many times as yourself because of positive experiences. We are very appreciative for you choosing us as your destination for your breaks in Guernsey, so thank you.
Our housekeepers were most pleased when I shared your kind words with them about the level of cleanliness and the high standard at which you found your room with us including all the little extras which we provide in all of our guest rooms to help enhance the experience of staying with us.
I was sorry to hear that your dining experience had been slightly disrupted. We take these comments very seriously and will be addressing this immediately and taking steps to ensure that we are providing the best possible service to all of our guests.
It was really nice to hear that you liked all of the new décor in our reception area which was part of a large refurbishment to our public areas earlier this year and all have been very well received.
Once again thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback and should you wish to return, please do not hesitate to contact me directly gavin@fermainvalley.com or our reservations team for the most competitive rates at book@fermainvalley.com.

There are newer reviews for Fermain Valley Hotel

Reviewed 28 June 2014

My wife and I arranged a mystery break for 18 friends and the Hotel and manager could not have been more accommodating. The rooms were beautiful and well looked after with water in fridge and great views from balcony, food great and generally hotel very up to date with rock garden bar, pool/terrace and easy walk to the beach which has a little cafe. The walk into St Peters Port is realistically 40 mins along the cliff walk and 25 on the road although the busses are around 20 mins from just outside the hotel. Hotel has a courtesy bus which will collect you from airport if requested and into town if available. If we sound gushy it's because the hotel did us so proudly from start to finish on our three day break, and our group who are all hardened travellers were all blown away.
Well done keep it up and we will be back.

Room Tip: Gold rooms with balcony were great value.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear RULESSouthampton's ,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review following your recent stay with us at the Fermain Valley Hotel. I was delighted to hear that your mystery weekend away had been such a success for both you and all of your friends.
I’m most pleased that you were able to enjoy both the beautifully appointed rooms and also all the leisure facilities within the hotel. Our two brand new restaurants are doing exceptionally well and I was thrilled to hear how much you had enjoyed your dining experiences with us at The Rock Garden which offers some delicious steak cuts from all around the world.
It was also pleasing to hear that you had been able to make good use of our complimentary shuttle service which is available to all of our guests seven days a week offering shuttles between the hotel and either St Peter Port or the airport and ferry terminals.
Once again thank you for taking the time to leave us such fantastic feedback and should you wish to return, please do not hesitate to contact me directly gavin@fermainvalley.com or our reservations team for the most competitive rates at book@fermainvalley.com.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just returned from a wonderful 4-night stay at this hotel. The Fermain Valley is a very upmarket but unstuffy hotel with highly professional staff. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all excellent. The weather was great which was a huge bonus but, as we had booked one of the top (platinum) rooms, we didn't have a balcony whilst the gold rooms do! The room, however, was magnificent. Wonderful location. Breakfast outside was like being in the south of France or some other exotic location. We will definitely be back (in a gold room!)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan E

Dear Alan E,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us such a kind review following your recent stay with us at Fermain Valley Hotel. It is always our aim to ensure that all of our guests are provided with the highest possible standard of service when staying with us. I was delighted to share with the team your kind comments and also most pleased to hear how much you had enjoyed your dining experience with us at the hotel.
I was also most pleased to hear how much you had enjoyed one of our beautifully appointed Platinum rooms all of which have fantastic views down the valley towards the sea.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I have just recommended this hotel to a friend, who urged me to write this review as she found my feedback very helpful.
We had a wonderful five day break over Easter. This is certainly one of the nicest hotels on Guernsey. Our room on the first floor in the annex was excellent and had wonderful views over the delightful grounds and the bay beyond. Breakfast was first rate and the dinners were also of a very high standard, even better than we expected.
Beautiful decor, comfortable lounges and dining room added to our enjoyment and relaxation and the warm and welcoming staff, although felt minimal on occasions (my only negative comment), were attentive, professional and always very helpful, yet calm and friendly. A true sense of the old adage: ‘Ladies and Gentleman serving Ladies and Gentleman’.
Try and find time to stroll down to the bay its definitely worth the uphill walk (challenging for me) back and reward yourself with one of the hotels cream teas - we did!
Altogether a great break and looking forward to our next visit! (And next time we would try and take advantage of the pool – too busy this time!)

Room Tip: Annex rooms overlooking the garden are excellent and have wonderful views
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Paula H,

Thank you for finding the time to write such a glowing review following your recent stay at Fermain Valley Hotel. I was delighted that you enjoyed the beautiful location of our hotel with its fantastic views. It was very rewarding to hear how much you had enjoyed your dining experiences at the hotel. We are very proud of our two new restaurants, The Ocean which offers some of the islands best fresh seafood dishes and The Rock Garden which offers a relaxed atmosphere with a selection of steaks from around the world. I was thrilled to read how much you had enjoyed dining with us and we hope that you return to stay with us to enjoy our restaurants again.
It was also very pleasing to hear that you had been able to enjoy our beautifully appointed lounge areas and that the staff had provided you with such an attentive service. Attention to detail is highly important to us and hearing that the staff had served you in such a professional manner is very rewarding for us to hear.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Lovely hotel in a beautiful location. The warmth and professionalism of the welcome raised expectations of an outstanding experience which was just not quite met by the overall experience. The very well appointed room was just a little tied and in need of some tlc.. The air-conditioning unbelievably noisy and we were fortunate that it was not too hot during our stay. Arriving in the early evening we were told that the restaurant was booked until after nine so chose to eat in the bar. Very good quality food but we had to asked for things too many time to feel cherished. Lovely breakfast menu but the half ordered and half buffet service was not clear and again waited for coffee & tea too long to be classed as outstanding service that the hotel seemed to aspire to. Great time in the couple of day we spent there and the walks around the coast from the hotel were breathtaking. We would go back again and if the service level was tweaked just a little this would be an outstanding destination.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mikem0
Timothy C, Guest Relations Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Mikem0,

I would like to thank you for choosing Fermain Valley Hotel for your recent visit to Guernsey. I most pleased to read how well you had been greeted at the hotel and that our reception team had made such a good impression. I am sorry that you felt certain aspects of your stay did not meet up to this. We have discussed your mention of the air conditioning system and we are now in the process of replacing some of the units in some rooms. We take any comments such as this very seriously and we will do all we can to improve this for all of our future guests. I have also addressed the issues you had during breakfast with our restaurant manager and we are taking steps to ensure that this is improved immediately.
I was pleased to read that you had been able to enjoy some of the fantastic views and walks surrounding the hotel. We are very lucky to have some of the best walks and surroundings in the Channel Islands. Along with our award winning gardens it all makes for a fantastic location.
Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback and I hope that we will be able to welco0me you back to the hotel for a stay in the future. Should you wish to return, please do not hesitate to contact me directly gavin@fermainvalley.com or our reservation team for the most competitive rates at book@fermainvalley.com.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a lovely hotel in a good location-though both would not be so good for anyone who is elderly, unfit or disabled.
We found the welcome good and friendly. The room was lovely but would have been improved by having better pillows (and a towel rail in the toilet). The windows were draughty and I would imagine that this could be a problem if the weather was cold or windy. I paid for a platinum room and this had a lovely view of the valley and the sea as well as the balcony. Quite with no one passing.
We found the seating and ordering system for breakfast strange. You could wait for about 20 mins for coffee and toast because no one thought to ask you and then wait longer for someone to take your order from the menu. Most of the orders that I could see being delivered around us were incorrect-even down to getting tea and coffee wrong. Some of the female waiting staff were rather unfriendly and I would go so far as saying slightly belligerent- definitely not helpful. Many of the staff seemed very inexperienced and a good system and some basic training would really help.
The meal that we had in the restaurant was good though not exceptional. Service was good and the waiter was friendly and engaging. Not sure whether the menu changes daily. This is always a problem for vegetarians when there are often only one or two choices.
I had told the hotel that we were returning to our honeymoon hotel after 35 years for our wedding anniversary and ordered champagne to be delivered to the room. This was brought with a card from the staff and our room was bedecked with a heart of rose petals while we were at dinner.
The pool looks a little aged and could do with refurbishing. A spa pool somewhere would be nice.
I would recommend this hotel to others and it is good but could be excellent with a few tweaks.

Dear Biffo81,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback following your recent stay with us at Fermain Valley Hotel. I was pleased that you enjoyed the beautiful location of our hotel with some fantastic views looking out towards the sea. The hotel does offer a number of different room types and we have rooms which are fully accessible for anyone with any walking difficulties, with a lift going to all floors in the main hotel. We also offer a lift to the restaurant for any guests who may not be able to manage the few small steps. Our driver is also on duty seven days a week which we offer to transport guests who would like a lift into St Peter port of for airport transfers.
I am sorry that you seem to have had some issues with the service whilst dining in The Ocean Restaurant. I can assure you that we take these comments very seriously and will be addressing this immediately to ensure that we are providing the best possible service to all of our guests. I have also made note of your comments regarding our pool area, so again thank you for the feedback and I am sorry for any problems you encountered during your stay.
I was most pleased that you had enjoyed a rose petal turndown in your room on your anniversary and I hope that this gesture helped to enhance your special stay with us.
Once again thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback and should you wish to return, please do not hesitate to contact me directly gavin@fermainvalley.com or our reservation team for the most competitive rates at book@fermainvalley.com.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed 4 nights here and very impressed. Yes it is not cheap but the rooms with a well provisioned hospitality tray complimentary sherry, water ,robes fruit,fudge,nice toiletries and local paper help you to feel cared for. Obviously managed by someone who cares. The gardens are a beautiful haven and constantly being tended. I swam each morning on my own for 40 minutes, I liked the fact that one side of the pool room has glass doors which opened on to the deck.Abundant big towels and toiletries in the shower area. I hate skimpy towels and those in the rooms are large white and fluffy too. The changing room is immaculately clean, I interrupted the housekeeper's work each morning.We lounged on the deck to idle away time on our last morning before a lovely lunch but expected no less as we had enjoyed great dinners and breakfasts in both restaurants previously. Prices are reasonable for the quality and they well deserve their 2 rosette. The staggeringly exception were friendly and for anyone on their own seemed to be looking out for them.

Room Tip: We had a gold room at. THE Venue overlooking the gardens but think those with baloney on first floor...
2  Thank mumajb

Dear mumajb,

I would like to thank you for posting this wonderful review on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read how much you had enjoyed your stay with and was most pleased to be able to share this with all the team.
Attention to detail is very important to us and it is always a pleasure to hear that guests have enjoyed the extra little touches which we provide in all of our guest rooms. It was also very nice to hear that you had been able to enjoy our swimming pool area during your stay backing onto our sun terrace and sea views. Our housekeepers were most pleased when I shared your kind words with them about the level of cleanliness which you found in the pool area. I was delighted to share with the team your wonderful comments about your dining experiences with us and that you had particularly enjoyed breakfast in The Ocean Restaurant.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
#1 of 9 in St Martins
Hotel Bella Luce
Hotel Bella Luce
#2 of 9 in St Martins

Been to Fermain Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!