“A week in heaven”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“A week in heaven”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My son and his wife joined me in this wonderful Hotel. We were collected from the airport by the Hotel manager him self and from that moment on my every need was catered for.
My room was next to the lift with all disabled facilities plus complimentary bottled water, a decanter of sherry( which was filled every day) some fruit and flowers.
Robert (the hotel manger) arranged for a folding wheel chair to be left in the hall for my use on day trips.
This was our first day and I already felt like the Queen.
Next morning at breakfast my eggs were prepared and brought to the table where the staff offered to collect anything from the buffet, but my son and daughter in law delt with that.
Robert popped along just to make sure all was well and Clarmon (a French waiter) was so attentive and charming.
Robert recommended places on the Island to visit which included the Island Tour, this gave us an insight to the area.
I am 88 years and not a big eater so the Rock Garden suited me as I could choose the size of a number of different cuts of meat. A 100 gram steak for me and a 250 gram ribeye for both my son and his wife was a joy. Again the staff were so friendly and helpful.
I felt like a Queen every day I was there,

THANKYOU TO ROBERT AND ALL HIS STAFF WHO MADE MY HOLIDAY SO SPECIAL

Knit and Natter

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Timothy C, Guest Relations Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Joyce D,

I would like to thank you for leaving such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us at The Fermain Valley Hotel. It is always our aim to provide the highest standard of service for all of our guests and I was thrilled to share your kind words with the team.
I was pleased to hear how much you had enjoyed your dining experience at breakfast where we offer a large selection of both continental and a beautiful full Guernsey breakfast to start the day using fresh local produce. I was also very thrilled to hear how much you had enjoyed dining at The Rock Garden steak house. The Rock Garden has proved to be very popular with both hotel guests and local residents since opening earlier this year offering a fantastic selection of steak cuts from all around the world and some wonderful cocktails.
We would be delighted to welcome you back for a future stay and should you wish to return please do not hesitate to contact me directly gavin@fermainvalley.com or our reservation team for the most competitive rates at book@fermainvalley.com.
Our Reservations team at The Fermain Valley are travel experts and being an ATOL registered company this allows us to book travel packages with compete peace of mind for our guests, which combined with our low price partner travel rates enables us to offer exceptional value for complete holiday breaks. Finally our whole team at the Fermain thank you for choosing to stay with us…

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
london
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The brochure looked fantastic! As we approached it looked fantastic! As we entered the foyer it looked fantastic! The very kind and helpful reception staff member showed us to our room, number 18, and then our bubble deflated - didn't burst, just deflated. We had a gold room upgrade kindly offered by the hotel as our 'platinum' room wasn't available. We were so happy as the gold rooms are the hotel's best rooms, with a balcony, with a little wicker coffee table and chairs, fresh fruit free daily, dicantered sherry, bath robes, slippers as gold room extras. We both were very disappointed to find the LCD flat TV was hanging off the wall, and flopping to one side. The room did also look small and in need of some TLC, although the walls did look recently painted. Troubles didn't end there. Although the bathroom was clean, with pure white and clean towels, the sink was grubby and the plug broken, so the water struggled to drain away. I mentioned our problems on the first day, nothing was done, then again mentioned the second day, again nothing was done. In the end I gave up. Breakfast was very poor on all four mornings. Poached eggs were hard, scrambled eggs were strange - a weird texture! I do fantastic scrambled eggs so know what they should look and taste like! Sausages and bacon were anemic, only the black pudding and fried eggs were great. Every morning we had large canvas bags full of towels and sheets outside our room, that we had to clamber over. I can only say the hotel looked great from the outside, two of the staff were very helpful, balcony and view were great. But, to stay honest here I could not recommend this hotel. It's position is directly under the UK flight path, so three to four times daily you get that lovely loud jet engine roar.

Room Tip: Best rooms are at the south side, with sea view. But that doesn't mean the rooms are great
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank verdeboyo35
Dear verdeboyo35,

I would like to thank you for recently leaving a review following your stay with us at The Fermain Valley Hotel. I was pleased to heart that you had such a warm welcome from one of our reception team when you first arrived with us. I am sorry to hear that one of our top graded rooms, Platinum, was not available for your stay. These rooms are very popular and can be booked up a month or two in advance during our busy periods. I was pleased to hear that you had been able to enjoy some of the little extras which we provide in all of our guest rooms such as complimentary sherry, homemade Guernsey fudge and a selection of teas and coffee.
I was disappointed to hear that there were some issues with your room whilst staying with us. I was also very sorry to hear that your dining experience was not as you would have wished for and that we have not lived up to your expectations. Here at Fermain Valley Hotel we pride ourselves on the standard of service and quality that we provide for all of our guests and receive many positive comments so it is disappointing to learn that this was not evident during your stay. Rest assured that all your comments are taken very seriously and we will be doing all we can to ensure that there is no repeat of any of the issues you have raised. . We whole heartedly apologise that on this occasion we were unable to meet your expectations whilst staying with us and we would relish the opportunity to put this right.

Scotland
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just back from a 3 night break at Fermain Valley. Nice hotel in lovely location. We stayed in the annexe part of the hotel which is a short uphill walk from the main building. Rooms are well equipped and very clean and tidy. Breakfast was very good but I wasn't very impressed with evening meal menu in Ocean restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms in main hotel would possibly be quieter than the annexe.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Timothy C, Guest Relations Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear KETCHIKAN,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback following your recent stay with us. I was pleased that you had found your room to be comfortable and had enjoyed your experience staying at our accommodation at The Venue building which is a short walk through our award winning gardens from the main hotel. I am sorry to hear that your dining experience was not what you had hoped for on this occasion.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

What a lovely hotel in a wonderful location. Such friendly staff and the rooms were excellent. First day we made our way down to the beautiful bay from the hotel and it was spectacular. Complimentary bottled water, fruit and a decanter of sherry which was very much appreciated! Excellent breakfast with plenty of choice. My pancakes with crispy bacon and maple syrup were particularly delicious. Lovely bonus of a pool and sauna to relax with fab views from the terrace across the bay. The complimentary minibus transport into St Peter Port was most welcome instead of taking the car. The food in the Rock Garden was delicious with juicy steaks cooked to perfection although we did have to wait a little too long for our drinks on arrival. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to experience Guernsey.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the bay are quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lesley572014
Dear Lesley572014,

I would like to thank you for your kind review following your recent stay at The Fermain Valley Hotel. It was very rewarding to hear how much you had enjoyed breakfast, where we offer a variety of healthy choices for our guests to choose from, whether they decide to opt for a Continental or full English breakfast. I was also most pleased to hear that you had been able to make good use of our indoor heated swimming pool and sauna facilities.
I was thrilled that you had enjoyed your dining experience in The Rock Garden Steak house and cocktail bar. The steaks which are imported from around the world and bar offing a selection of fantastic cocktails is proving to be very popular and we are delighted with your wonderful feedback so thank you again for your kind words.
Thank you also for your kind thoughts of recommending us and should you wish to return please do not hesitate to contact me directly gavin@fermainvalley.com or our reservation team for the most competitive rates at book@fermainvalley.com.

St Peter Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Fermain Valley Hotel lived up to expectations! The hotel feel is totally relaxing and all the finishing touches were appreciated. Rooms are very spacious and luxuriously comfortable. Worth noting that the hotel has two very popular restaurants not just with residents but also locals - Rock Garden (steak) & Ocean (Fish) with amazing sea views. Downside for us was that it was particularly noisy late at night with people having a good time!
Sea views are amazing and you really must make the 5 minute walk down to Fermain beach where there is an excellent beach cafe.
If there is anything that could be improved would be the knowledge of the staff. We presume that it is beginning of the season as the staff on the breakfast shift were not particularly well trained however the food made up for this. Also upon check out the receptionist was particularly abrupt and grumpy which was an unfortunate way to end a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the back of the hotel as these are near the restaurant.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Charlotte P,

I would like to thank you for leaving such a kind review following your recent stay with us. I was thrilled that you had enjoyed your dining experience in The Ocean restaurant, which prides itself on offering the freshest, seasonal produce, prepared by our talented kitchen team.
I am sorry that some of the service aspects were not as you would have hoped for at breakfast and I can assure you that we will take immediate action to correct any issues and we do take all comments seriously, so again thank you for your feedback.
We apologise that your check out experience was not as you would have expected. Again we will address this matter immediately to ensure that all of our front of house staff are meeting the high service standards which we expect as much as our guests do.

Lymington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is a honest and frank review of two halves after a brief overnight visit to Guernsey on business. We had a warm and friendly welcome before being driven up the hill to our room in the annex - which was clearly another small hotel on the main road in a previous life. It is an uphill/downhill walk to/from the main building, which houses the restaurant, bar and pool - so be aware of this if you book a Venue room! We enjoyed a drink on the terrace after walking down - and back up - the steep hill to the bay! The main disappointments were firstly the room - which was small, hot and stuffy, with no air conditioning and the noise of the road and bar opposite. Secondly, the restaurant food and the service from the staff were both surprisingly poor and there was no restaurant manager to be seen so we could address these issues. To their credit, when we mentioned this to the duty manager at the front desk, he responded very professionally with an apology and a credit on the bill. Thank you for redeeming what was becoming a very disappointing visit. So this has to be an average review - but as soon as they sort out the restaurant I think most people will enjoy a visit to this hotel - but until they do, we will return to our usual hotel in St Peter Port.

Room Tip: Be aware of what you are choosing if you choose a room titled 'Venue' which is in the annex...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Matthew L
Dear Matthew L,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback following our recent stay at The Fermain Valley Hotel. I was most pleased that you received such a warm welcome when arriving with our reception team. I was disappointed that the room you had did not meet your requirements. I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your experience staying in your room at The Venue. We offer a wide range of different rooms. Each grade has different specifications and the location of our rooms differs depend on the type of room you book.
I was sorry to hear that your dining experience with us was not up to what you would hope for or expect. I can assure you that we take your comments very seriously and we will be taking steps to ensure that service is not affected in the future. We whole heartedly apologies that on this occasion we were unable to meet your expectations whilst staying with us and we would relish the opportunity to put this right.
We would be delighted to welcome you back for a future stay to amend your perception of our hotel and should you wish to return please do not hesitate to contact me directly gavin@fermainvalley.com or our reservation team for the most competitive rates at book@fermainvalley.com.

Our Reservationists team at The Fermain Valley are travel experts and being an ATOL registered company this allows us to book travel packages with compete peace of mind for our guests, which combined with our low price partner travel rates enables us to offer exceptional value for complete holiday breaks. Finally our whole team at the Fermain thank you for choosing to stay with us… Kind regards
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Booked two platinum rooms to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, met by the duty manager who had taken the time to ensure all family members had appropriate rooms. We were given a short tour/overview of the property the attention to detail also included an anniversary card in the room. Hotel facilities were all clean and maintained to a high standard. Food was excellent would recommend making a booking for the restaurants as they are very busy. Great views from the room completed the experience, including great gardens.I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Mr P Tolley

Room Tip: Complimentary courtesy bus is well worth booking to and from the airport.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear paul021964,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a kind review following your recent stay with us at Fermain Valley Hotel. I was most pleased to be able to share your comments with the team who were delighted you had enjoyed your stay with us. I was most pleased that you had been able to enjoy the hotel and its beautiful location and also to hear that you would recommend us to others.

Our reservations team at The Fermain Valley are travel experts and being an ATOL registered company this allows us to book travel packages with compete peace of mind for our guests, which combined with our low price partner travel rates enables us to offer exceptional value for complete holiday breaks.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
Hotel Bella Luce
Hotel Bella Luce
#2 of 9 in St Martins
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort

Been to Fermain Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!