“Fantastic, friendly hotel”

Fermain Valley Hotel
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We took my mother in law to this lovely hotel and could not have asked for better service. Robert the hotel manager was very much on the ball for her every needs including organising a wheelchair which was waiting outside her room on arrival. I can't praise him and his team enough. Looking forward to the next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for room with balcony
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Fermain Valley Hotel

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Fermain as part of our honeymoon in Guernsey for 2 nights and we wish we could've stayed longer! I had booked our stay as part of her birthday present (her birthday was 2 weeks before the wedding) and we were surprised to find 2 cards on arrival- a birthday card for my wife and a congratulations for our marriage: these little gestures set the tone for our stay.

We actually stayed in the Venue which is a short walk up the hill but still has amazing views of the ocean from the room. Every staff member was so courteous and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable- our stay was definitely one of the highlights for our time in Guernsey.

We had a dinner each at the Ocean restaurant and the Rock Garden. Both meals were fantastic and hard to split the two. Ocean has more a seafood focus, whereas Rock Garden is steak and cocktails. We love seafood and were tempted to skip the Rock Garden but were glad we didn't.

We had such a great time at Fermain and can't speak any higher of it.

Stayed: July 2014
Timothy C, Guest Relations Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Aweera,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review following your recent stay with us at The Fermain Valley Hotel. It was a pleasure to hear how much you had both enjoyed your honeymoon with us. I was also mot pleased to hear how much you had enjoyed your dining experience with us in The Ocean Restaurant where we serve some fantastic seafood dishes from the local Guernsey waters. I was also pleased to hear that you decided to dine in The Rock Garden and sample some of the fantastic steak dishes and cocktails.

We would be delighted to welcome you back for a future stay and should you wish to return please do not hesitate to contact me directly gavin@fermainvalley.com or our reservation team for the most competitive rates at book@fermainvalley.com.

Our Reservations team at The Fermain Valley are travel experts and being an ATOL registered company this allows us to book travel packages with compete peace of mind for our guests, which combined with our low price partner travel rates enables us to offer exceptional value for complete holiday breaks. Finally our whole team at the Fermain thank you for choosing to stay with us…

Reviewed 15 July 2014

First time we have stayed at the Fermain and was greatly impressed. The reception was welcoming and the staff extremely helpful - we stayed in a gold room with a balcony and the view was breath taking - sherry very welcome as was the water and fruit - beautifully clean and situated very nicely within the hotel - breakfast very good although would like more choice as I am a diabetic but overall no complaints and have even booked next years holiday already - see you all then and a 10/10 to all staff

Room Tip: Gold rooms are excellent with a balcony as you can see more of the view and sea and also you have th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear WendyMG2812,

Thank you very for leaving such a nice review following your stay with us at The Fermain Valley Hotel. I was thrilled to hear how much you had enjoyed your stay with us. I was very pleased to hear that you had enjoyed some of the little extras which we provide in all of our guest rooms and that all the staff had provided you with a high standard of customer service.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights for our 10th wedding anniversary. We stayed in a gold room with a balcony in the main hotel, which was a good size and very pleasant with a nice bathroom, although a shower but no bath. There were nice touches like a box of fudge, sherry and fruit which were topped up daily and a good selection of water, teas, coffee and biscuits. On our first night we came back to our room to find rose petals scattered on our bed and an anniversary card, which was a lovely personal touch.

The breakfast was excellent with a good choice of cold buffet and hot food cooked to order- delicious pancakes and eggs Benedict! We ate from the bar menu , the mushroom tartin was delicious and reasonably priced. The Ocean restaurant was good, but the specials were disappointing when we were there- no seafood special which we had been hoping for.

The complimentary shuttle service was useful to/ from the airport, and staff were accommodating in letting us grab an early breakfast on Saturday when we had an early start for a day trip. Whilst some of the staff were excellent others on reception seemed a but grumpy.

What really made the stay excellent though was the stunning location and views from the hotel. The restaurant and some of the rooms overlook the gardens with the sea in the background. It is a beautiful (but hilly) walk down through the lovely, well kept, tropical hotel garden, then through the woods to Fermain bay, which is just stunning surrounded by wooded cliffs, with views of Herm and Sark in the distance, and a pleasant cafe.

It was about a 20 minute scenic downhill walk to St Peter Port, the downside of course is that it is uphill all the way back, but a reasonable bus service runs just past the hotel, and was a bargain at £1 per person!

All in all a very enjoyable stay, and everything we had hoped for!

Room Tip: Gold room in the main building & a balcony- sea views are stunning

Dear boysandbex,

How wonderful to read your glowing review following your stay at The Fermain Valley Hotel. It is very rewarding for all of our team to know how much you had enjoyed your stay with us. I was delighted to share your comments with the team and we were all most pleased that you had enjoyed your experience with us. I was very pleased to hear that you had enjoyed the little extras which we provide in all of our guests rooms such as sherry, delicious homemade fudges and fresh fruit upon arrival. I was also very pleased to hear how much you had enjoyed your dining experience in The Ocean restaurant which offers a fantastic surf and turf dish along with lots of fresh seafood dishes from local Guernsey waters.

I was also very pleased that you had been able to enjoy some of the fantastic walks through our award winning gardens which lead down to the bay at the bottom of the hill. We are very lucky to be surrounded some of the most beautiful landscape on the Island leading right onto the cliff paths and I was pleased you had enjoyed the experience whilst staying with us.

Our Reservationists team at The Fermain Valley are travel experts and being an ATOL registered company this allows us to book travel packages with compete peace of mind for our guests, which combined with our low price partner travel rates enables us to offer exceptional value for complete holiday breaks. Finally our whole team at the Fermain thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My son and his wife joined me in this wonderful Hotel. We were collected from the airport by the Hotel manager him self and from that moment on my every need was catered for.
My room was next to the lift with all disabled facilities plus complimentary bottled water, a decanter of sherry( which was filled every day) some fruit and flowers.
Robert (the hotel manger) arranged for a folding wheel chair to be left in the hall for my use on day trips.
This was our first day and I already felt like the Queen.
Next morning at breakfast my eggs were prepared and brought to the table where the staff offered to collect anything from the buffet, but my son and daughter in law delt with that.
Robert popped along just to make sure all was well and Clarmon (a French waiter) was so attentive and charming.
Robert recommended places on the Island to visit which included the Island Tour, this gave us an insight to the area.
I am 88 years and not a big eater so the Rock Garden suited me as I could choose the size of a number of different cuts of meat. A 100 gram steak for me and a 250 gram ribeye for both my son and his wife was a joy. Again the staff were so friendly and helpful.
I felt like a Queen every day I was there,

THANKYOU TO ROBERT AND ALL HIS STAFF WHO MADE MY HOLIDAY SO SPECIAL

Knit and Natter

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Joyce D,

I would like to thank you for leaving such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us at The Fermain Valley Hotel. It is always our aim to provide the highest standard of service for all of our guests and I was thrilled to share your kind words with the team.
I was pleased to hear how much you had enjoyed your dining experience at breakfast where we offer a large selection of both continental and a beautiful full Guernsey breakfast to start the day using fresh local produce. I was also very thrilled to hear how much you had enjoyed dining at The Rock Garden steak house. The Rock Garden has proved to be very popular with both hotel guests and local residents since opening earlier this year offering a fantastic selection of steak cuts from all around the world and some wonderful cocktails.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The brochure looked fantastic! As we approached it looked fantastic! As we entered the foyer it looked fantastic! The very kind and helpful reception staff member showed us to our room, number 18, and then our bubble deflated - didn't burst, just deflated. We had a gold room upgrade kindly offered by the hotel as our 'platinum' room wasn't available. We were so happy as the gold rooms are the hotel's best rooms, with a balcony, with a little wicker coffee table and chairs, fresh fruit free daily, dicantered sherry, bath robes, slippers as gold room extras. We both were very disappointed to find the LCD flat TV was hanging off the wall, and flopping to one side. The room did also look small and in need of some TLC, although the walls did look recently painted. Troubles didn't end there. Although the bathroom was clean, with pure white and clean towels, the sink was grubby and the plug broken, so the water struggled to drain away. I mentioned our problems on the first day, nothing was done, then again mentioned the second day, again nothing was done. In the end I gave up. Breakfast was very poor on all four mornings. Poached eggs were hard, scrambled eggs were strange - a weird texture! I do fantastic scrambled eggs so know what they should look and taste like! Sausages and bacon were anemic, only the black pudding and fried eggs were great. Every morning we had large canvas bags full of towels and sheets outside our room, that we had to clamber over. I can only say the hotel looked great from the outside, two of the staff were very helpful, balcony and view were great. But, to stay honest here I could not recommend this hotel. It's position is directly under the UK flight path, so three to four times daily you get that lovely loud jet engine roar.

Room Tip: Best rooms are at the south side, with sea view. But that doesn't mean the rooms are great
1  Thank verdeboyo35

Dear verdeboyo35,

I would like to thank you for recently leaving a review following your stay with us at The Fermain Valley Hotel. I was pleased to heart that you had such a warm welcome from one of our reception team when you first arrived with us. I am sorry to hear that one of our top graded rooms, Platinum, was not available for your stay. These rooms are very popular and can be booked up a month or two in advance during our busy periods. I was pleased to hear that you had been able to enjoy some of the little extras which we provide in all of our guest rooms such as complimentary sherry, homemade Guernsey fudge and a selection of teas and coffee.
I was disappointed to hear that there were some issues with your room whilst staying with us. I was also very sorry to hear that your dining experience was not as you would have wished for and that we have not lived up to your expectations. Here at Fermain Valley Hotel we pride ourselves on the standard of service and quality that we provide for all of our guests and receive many positive comments so it is disappointing to learn that this was not evident during your stay. Rest assured that all your comments are taken very seriously and we will be doing all we can to ensure that there is no repeat of any of the issues you have raised. . We whole heartedly apologise that on this occasion we were unable to meet your expectations whilst staying with us and we would relish the opportunity to put this right.

Our Reservationists team at The Fermain Valley are travel experts and being an ATOL registered company this allows us to book travel packages with compete peace of mind for our guests, which combined with our low price partner travel rates enables us to offer exceptional value for complete holiday breaks. Finally our whole team at the Fermain thank you for choosing to stay with us…

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just back from a 3 night break at Fermain Valley. Nice hotel in lovely location. We stayed in the annexe part of the hotel which is a short uphill walk from the main building. Rooms are well equipped and very clean and tidy. Breakfast was very good but I wasn't very impressed with evening meal menu in Ocean restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms in main hotel would possibly be quieter than the annexe.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Timothy C, Guest Relations Manager at Fermain Valley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear KETCHIKAN,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback following your recent stay with us. I was pleased that you had found your room to be comfortable and had enjoyed your experience staying at our accommodation at The Venue building which is a short walk through our award winning gardens from the main hotel. I am sorry to hear that your dining experience was not what you had hoped for on this occasion.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St Peter Port
#1 of 9 in St Martins
Hotel Bella Luce
Hotel Bella Luce
#2 of 9 in St Martins

Been to Fermain Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!