“Rooms clean but extremely dated decor”
Review of Grange Lodge Hotel

Grange Lodge Hotel
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in St Peter Port
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The hotel is in need of bringing into the present day-It reminded me of a mish mash of all my grandparents and elderly aunts houses rolled into one! Some items such as the alarm clock and knitted tissue box holder were epic! It was clean and my room smelt pleasant-some reviews have complained of bad smells or unclean rooms but this was not the case for me. It may suit an older taste but being in my 30's myself it was well below pa for what I expect and the price didn't reflect this as it cost 100 pounds for 1night!! There are far more superior hotels for a similar price on the island. The hotel reception smelled a bit like old chip fat and I think the kitchen is close by hence the smell-the bar is equally dated and the menue is straight out of the 80's! I sound very negative and this is because for me the hotel was the complete opposite of what I want or expect however everyone is different and this may suit certain tastes-I didn't take photos but try and look at some before making a decision-wish I had. All in all very clean rooms but a bit like stepping into a time warp! May be perfect for some!

• Stayed: June 2012
10  Thank Globeltravel

Reviewed 22 June 2012

We originally booked 4 nights B & B, but were offered, and accepted a self catering apartment at same terms. No problems, apartment was clean and up to date. There was a plumbing problem that could happen anywhere and this was resolved promptly and efficiently. If you enjoy traditional then the Grange Lodge will suit, food is great value, staff are quietly efficient and owners are on site. We would return.

Room Tip: apartments are quiet, and we assume rooms at rear would be similar.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank clamfather
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Grange Lodge was disappointing. The rooms were in need of refurbishment and the bathroom badly needed updating. It took several minutes to get hot water (what a waste), and the bath and
shower curtain were brown. The door to the bathroom was a sliding one that came away from the wall. Very generous with shampoos etc and tea and coffee but never any milk! Food in the bar was ok. The staff were however helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank matandpat2016
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The best thing about this hotel was the breakfast, served in the room overlooking the fine gardens. The accommodation I was allocated was fairly standard but comfortable and quiet.being at the rear of the property.
On the downside, the wi-fi connection was intermittent, even in the public areas, and the otherwise entrance to the hotel itself was a smoking area, the smell of which filters into the reception area.

Room Tip: Take a rear-facing room on one of the upper floors for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Am currently lying on my bed in the hotel and have had an amazing stay so far. The beds are extremely comfortable, bathroom and kitchen very up to date and well layed out; spacious living room and bedrooms. The pool is heated and so we can go swimming even on a grey day like this and it is still fine. Staff are absolutely lovely; our wifi wasn't working when we arrived, and they had someone fix it within the hour. They gave us an extra key so that my mother and I could go about seperately, and they provided a hairdryer for us because there wasn't one in the room.

The gardens are lovely, and very well kept. After reading previous reviews I felt I needed to write this one, because I feel the place has been unfairly portrayed. We stay in the self-catering room, (room 9), and there is absolutely nothing I could say against the place!

Except perhaps the strange family next door to us tend to sing in the morning. Bizarre.

I will be returning next year, I could not rate the place high enough!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kate H
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Although the feel of the hotel is dated with old fashioned plumbing, shower curtains, crafty sash windows etc, this is redeemed by the friendly (European) staff. We had a spacious room at the front (room 3) with distant views over the rooftops as far as Herm Island. Although we did not eat in the hotel the bar was busy with locals and both hotel and restaurant appear reasonably priced by Guernsey standards.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front can be noisy on Saturday nights. Room 3 was large with a leather sofa.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Ate here several times food was of a very high quality.

We will be back