“Closed on a Monday”

Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Torteval
Price range: US$11 - US$49
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Rui And Angelina Welcome You To Le Gouffre Cafe And Restaurant.alfresco Dining With South Coast Views Over The Cliff Tops And Out To Sea. Beautiful Cliff Walks
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I gave this an 'average' rating so as not to unfairly judge it. Having been directed there by the nice man from the Occupation Museum, we arrived there to find that it is actually CLOSED ON MONDAYS! Be warned!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We have been here many times both under the previous management and the current operator. Our last three more recent visits - one evening wedding function and two private visits - were most enjoyable - An oasis of calm backed up by good food and friendly service.

And then it all went wrong....as it so often does: Booked a table; arrived; sat down inside and then nothing for 20 minutes! Had to get up and got our own menus and ask if we could place a drinks order. Another ten minutes went by <My life but hey, who cares> and the order was placed and yes it was wrong upon arrival. One glorious pint of bitter was missing and when it arrived it was seriously less than a pint. <NB: No trading standards in good old Guernsey to complain to> This
is basis stuff and at this stage we should have walked. But no, we press on and it get's worse!

Food order placed. Two hungry grandchildren in situ. One HOUR goes buy. Adults food arrives served by the most non-communicative server in the world. Children's food next. And guess what? Our guest goes without her food! <NB: The manger took the order. She blamed the chef <her husband> Cool. Asked server where the missing main course is? "Ok, yeah" was the response.

Guest's food eventually re-ordered. I asked for my food to be re-heated as I wouldn't eat until our guest had her food <Yes, call me old-fashioned but that is the way it should be> Host's food never comes back! <The chef has 'thrown it away' says the manager!>

Discuss my dissatisfaction with the manager. Response was "We are busy" and "The conversation stops here!". Great. So professional and caring, Not.

Conclusion: This restaurant has over-reached itself <probably a big brewery rental to pay> and lost control. The staff and management has dis-engaged from their customers in every way.Self-service has been introduced for the outside tables.

It is a real shame as it WAS one of the better restaurants but not anymore.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The restaurant has a cliff top setting with beautiful views over the Channel. On a sunny days, as you eat you can watch the yachts pass by. Wild flowers are prolific and there are interesting birds to see as well.
There are a good number of tables outside, which on a warm day is a real bonus. From inside the restaurant still has fantastic views and it's furnished in a country style. The food, which after all is what really afters, is delicious. Shellfish and fish are fresh, well-presented and reasonably priced. Meat dishes are good too. There's plenty of choice, so there's something for everyone. Salads are prepared to order, so no drooping lettuce and dried up cucumber! We aren't into puddings or cakes, but looking at other people's orders made us sorely tempted!
We found all the staff attentive, friendly
and very helpful. I can't rate this restaurant too highly.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We found the restaurant by accident and enjoyed a delightful lunch - I had a crab sandwich that could have been a main course due to its physical size not its cost. Over the week we returned several times either at lunchtime or for dinner and they were always friendly and helpful, accommodating however many of us arrived and giving us good service and a friendly smile. The menu was several pages long offering something for everyone; the lobster thermidore was delicious and I wish they were closer to home as I would love to visit again and again.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

The waitress was blunt and unhelpful when we arrived, almost like we were a nuisance. The waiter when we were eventually seated was friendly and hospitable though. Not much choice on the menu and very over priced. Food was average and starter of crab cakes very small and over seasoned so couldn't taste the crab at all. Nice atmosphere and beautiful views but I would have expected more since I was paying so much!