“Wouldn't stay anywhere else”
Review of Le Chene Hotel

Le Chene Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Torteval
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I first stayed at Le chene nine years ago after my chosen hotel had double booked and had no room for me.The welcome I received was wonderful. The hotel is always very clean;the food delicious and plentiful. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. This year Niek has added a hot tub and sauna in the garden. Beautiful walks are a couple of minutes from the front door and the lovely Petit Bo beach a fifteen minute walk downhill. I am looking forward to visiting again next year - my twelfth visit I think.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank guernseygirl8

Reviewed 26 October 2013

During the Tennerfest in October we usually try restaurants that we would not frequent. We are normally pleasantly surprised with our choices... not so Le Chene.
We had never been to this hotel before so thought we would give it a try.
On walking through the front door we did have second thoughts, very old décor that had seen better days but we thought we would give them the benefit of the doubt.
We didn't see anyone about so wondered down to the bar which I must say also made us think again about our choice for an evening meal. Tatty plastic seating, round tables with no covering, and a general air of decay.
We were greeted eventually by a waiter who took our order.
The dining room was an improvement on the bar area, but the food was not!
Frozen tartlet, with mixed wilted leaves, steak with a dressing that was sour and inedible, and potatoes that looked and tasted as if they had been re used!!
We left most of our meal and vowed never to return

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tortoisetheterrible
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I recently spent four days staying here, visiting friends on the island. The hotel does have an old-fashioned air, but for me that's a plus. As a solo traveller, I was expecting to be shoved into a gloomy, dirty broom-cupboard next to a noisy boiler, because that's the usual pattern. But no, I was treated from the start, when I rolled in tired at the crack of dawn and was asked if I'd had breakfast, as a "proper" guest. My room was spacious, quiet, clean, warm and comfortable. OK, it looked out the side of the building.. But you can't have everything.

Most importantly, Niek and his team were attentive without being intrusive, and couldn't have been more helpful. They were happy to suggest short walks for a tired traveller (the 15-minute stroll down through woods to the beautiful bay of Petit Bot is a must) and longer cycle rides for a recovered one.. The pool had been put to bed for winter when I arrived, but the water was still warm enough to swim in, and they were happy to take the cover off again, just for me.

Breakfasts were very good (killer poached egg!) and served with efficiency and courtesy - just what you need first thing! I didn't eat in in the evening, but if breakfasts were anything to go by, the standard would be good.

The availability of - good, well-maintained - bikes (electric ones if you like) is a bonus. There's a route guide, on quiet lanes and back-roads and one of the circular routes can be done straight from the hotel; this one takes in the German Underground Hospital and the mad but intriguing Little Chapel.

The hotel's in a very handy spot, fifteen minutes walk from the airport, on bus routes into St Peter Port (about 20 mins) and the route that goes round the island. The stop is right outside and timetables are available in the hotel. The airport isn't busy enough for noise to be a problem, but plane enthusiasts can still enjoy some close-up views just 5 minutes from the door!

Minor down sides: The decor is a bit shabby, which mostly doesn't matter, but things like peeling wallpaper in bedrooms could be a bit depressing.. And my shower had to be hand-held, because in its bracket the only thing it washed was the wall. (Hence the nit-picky four, rather than five, vote rating) But things like this won't stop me from coming back, or recommending the hotel. Over and above anything else, it has a nice atmosphere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Annith
managerlechene, Manager at Le Chene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Thank you for your very kind review. ref the wallpaper / shower you are right your room was getting a bit tired, we are closing at the end of October (end of season) and will then have the time to give everything a proper fresh up for 2014, re-opening in March and hoping to welcome you once again :)
Warm regards and once again thank you for your review,
Niek

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We have just spent 4days/5nights at this hotel and it was a very pleasant stay. The staff were friendly and helpful we had b/b and the food was great we also ate in 2 nights and the quality and quantity was excellent. The hotel has a very continental feel about it which we liked quite old fashioned but very clean. The pool was available whilst we was there and it was warm and peaceful and I took full use of it The hotel is a 20 minute walk down a steep hill to the beach which is lovely and well worth the effort.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cueball64
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner came to Guernsey for a wedding and were seaching for a hotel online when we came across this little (or so we thought) gem. Le Chene was perfect, close to the airport and great value. We arrived a little late and Niek welcomed us out of the rain. We walked to our room and we were both surprised at how big the hotel really was. The room itself was big too with a very comfy bed. The mini bar was reasonable and the bathroom was clean apart from a few damp spots but that didnt bother as everything else was superb. All staff were efficient and friendly. Breakfast was tasty and the buffet provided quite an extensive range. We really enjoyed our stay! Would've loved to have stayed longer, even the giant moths seemed happy to be there!!

• Stayed: August 2013
managerlechene, Manager at Le Chene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Thanks for your positive review. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and we hope to welcome you again in the future. Kind regards Niek

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband & l have stayed in various hotel's in guernsey and Le Chene is by far one of the best we have stayed in. On arrival you are greeted with a warm welcome, the room is large and comfortable. The food is excellent with a very good choice for breakfast and evening meals.
The hotel also has a swimming pool and has recently introduced a Sauna and hot tub.
The staff are also very friendly.
We have already booked our return visit later in the year.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GRabbit
managerlechene, General Manager at Le Chene Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

thanks for your very kind review, it was a pleasure having you as our guests and we hope to welcome you once again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

My wife found le Chene through the inttrnet on places that took dogs. Also a hotel that had a lounge and bar area. Le Chene came up trumps. We (2 adults in their 50's) booked a weeks holiday for mid July 2013. Upon arriving and being meet at reception by the owner who instantanly made us welcome our weeks stay has been perfect. We had a ground room bedroom that was spaious with a good ensuite. We eat in every evening for 2 very good reasons. One the food and menu provides a different choice every evening, and added to this the food was pleantiful and well prepared and tasty. Add to this the staff really made you feel welcome. The hotel has a well maintained pool , a good bar and lounge and a good restaurant. The location is good with the local bus right outside and then only 15 mins into St Peter Port. Also close to the airport but you would never know.

In all thanks to the staff etc, you made the break all the worth while. Well recommended. Ps they the staff made out goldern retriever very welcome.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KEJA58
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torteval
The Old Government House Hotel & Spa
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Martins
Le Friquet Country Hotel

Been to Le Chene Hotel? Share your experiences!