“First Surf Lesson!”

Discovery Surf School
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Myself, my wife and our two boys headed down to Discovery for our first ever lesson. The place was a but of a trek from the A38 but was well worth the effort.

Discovery provided all the kit required. We just turned up with standard swimming gear and they provided wet suits, colour coded vests (for each class) and the boards from a healthy looking selection.

We had Jess as our coach for the 2 hour session we booked. She was studying nearby at uni and worked as a coach in the summer. We were well looked after from the beginning. She explained the safety considerations and then we hit the water. As it was our first time and catching the waves can be tricky for newbies she stood in the water and held the board for us to help out. All of us stood on the board within the lesson and actually surfed! I was expecting a much longer learning curve to get up on the board, but she made it easy for us. The kids took to it first, then my somewhat athletic missus and eventually I managed it. If I can do it, I imagine that most folks could.

Bigbury on sea is a great place to learn. The water is shallow for the beginners and waves are small but a lot of fun. A good place to start learning. There is a little cafe next door for chips and a brew after the lesson.

All reviews
"session"
"sea"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My 14 yr old son and a friends daughter of the same age took the beginners course at the discovery surf school and have had a fantastic experience. The instructors and Martin the owner have been so helpful and the instruction has been very good. I would recommend this school and area for beginners.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

My son and daughter had a brilliant time at the Discovery Surf school. The staff are great and really make sure everyone has a great time. My Children where 8 and 10 and Harry looked after them at the surf club. Every day they came home with new stories to tell on what they had achieved and were fast asleep early evening! (an added bonus for me and my wife!)

We will be back again Easter 2014 and this time "Dad" will also be having lesson with our 6yr old daughter...no doubt to the great entertainment of anyone watching from the beach!

Cant wait. Great to see a small company like this grow and provide a really fun environment to learn an exciting sport for children and adults alike. Well done!

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We have been a few times to this school now and we keep coming back. They run surf clubs for the kids and lessons for anyone else. They can get busy but the cope well. They have plenty of wet suits even on busy days and never seem to run out of boards. Bigbury is also an ideal place to surf or lurn to surf as they have a great variety of conditions due to the estuary near by. As mentioned before the instructors are very friendly and know what they are doing.

1  Thank Dave S
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I've had quite a few lessons in my time as I try to become a better surfer (still struggling). The guys at Discovery were outstanding, I really felt that this was a more productive lesson than any of the techniques I have been taught previously. They really know their stuff.

I even managed to ride an unbroken wave and most of all, we all had a great time!

The surf school is located in the idyllic location of Bigbury, with a great beach, a couple of nice places to eat and an outstanding pub on the famous Burgh Island.

A magical weekend that the family and i won't forget!