“a little gem”

Baggy Surf Lodge &Cafe
Ranked #3 of 3 Dessert in Braunton
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: B&B Accommodation with en-suite double rooms and shared bunk accommodation. Also day time cafe and evening bistro. Lyndon Wake Surf School operates from here providing lessons to all levels, coasteering and surf equipment hire
Wakefield
“a little gem”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We had been walking to Baggy Point and coming back needed refreshment. We called in to this lovely place, the outside resembled what I imagine an Aussie beach side shack to be and all that was missing was sunshine. The owners were very friendly and welcoming and we were only sorry that we weren't staying to eat. Booking in advance was necessary.

• Visited April 2014
BaggyLodge, Owner at Baggy Surf Lodge &Cafe, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thanks for your review WakefieldMadHatter.

“Unprofessional”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Went there for lunch wish we hadn't spent money that we begrudged very limited choice had a tuna and cheese panini that literally came as a toasted squashed baguette no dressing to make it look nice was dry and over priced the staff were friendly but spent more time using there I pad to order food !!!!!! No childrens choice and would no even do beans on toast for them at 1ish as breakfast menu had finished !!!! Eat before you go or take a packed lunch

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank Twealthall
Thanks for your review Twealthall.

Sorry we are keeping the day time menu simple this year. We do now do children's sandwiches. We do have set times for the various menus and breakfast finishes at noon. With limited staff you can not run too many menu items and still serve people in a timely manner. So sorry about that.

Please do not bring a packed lunch as we are a café and only food bought on the premises can be consumed here - normal rules I think.

Croyde Bay
“Shocking Service”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My wife and I had been for a walk around Baggy Point and decided to have a coffee, it was 11.55am. The café was about half full and we went up to the bar.

At the bar we were served by Russ, who advised us that there would be a short wait due to the high number of orders they had taken for breakfasts. At which point my wife said that it wouldn’t be a problem, as we only wanted drinks. I ordered a black coffee and a bottle of Ribena. We then went and sat down outside.

At 12.10 Russ came up to us and I thought that he had brought the order – no. He asked to take the order again. At this point we decided to leave and go to the next cafe down the road. I said to Russ “its ok, forget it we will go to the next café”. Russ replied “well p_ss off then”.

We challenged his response at which point he told us to “[--] off”. This is obviously totally unacceptable behaviour and we attempted to speak with the manager, Mike, who was not about. I left a message on Mikes Mobile asking for him to call me to discuss the matter – guess what? No call.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank Steve D
Thanks for your review Steve D.

Not really our style and we have never had anybody called Russ working for us. Not sure who you talked to, but it wasn't a member of our staff. Didn't get your message on my mobile and I don't give the number out to the general public as we manage our business through the land line. By all means give me a call on 01271 890078 to discuss further.

Farnborough
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“quaity accomodation,sadly customer service not to match”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

at £100 a nght for a 'luxury' room, Iwas dissapointed to find breakfast was self service of just cereal and toast [but no bread] I mentioned that i am wheat intollerant and requested fruit and yoghurt to the owner who was impatient to leave and did not relay my request to the cafe staff [ which is independent and staff v helpful]. overall a shame that customer service not seen as necessary by the owner. also greeted by 'rules of the house' rather than 'welcome' notice telling me my shower was to be no more 3 minutes!
will not be returning- whole experience felt that we were part of a cash cow.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Nicki18
Thanks for your review Nicki18,

Sorry you think we are a "cash cow" which I believe is a term to describe a business that generates lots of profit - definitely not us.

We do only offer cereal & toast as breakfast included, but the café offers much much more if you order it at the bar.

I hate rules, but we have found that we need them as some people leave their brains at home when they go on holiday. I think a 3 minute shower is more than adequate when you are eco conscious, as we very much are. I have had people taking 40 minute showers and flooded and steamed up the place. We offer very hot powerful showers and it is very tempting to stay in them all day, but it is really not very green. We do harvest rain water for the loos and washing machine, but we are not allowed to use it for showers.

Sorry you wont be back - but it sounds like my water and heating bill might be a little lighter for it.

Glasgow
“We recieved great service and wonderful fresh food”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

It may well be that others have had bad service. I did sense some very junior "surf's up" type of staff but i reckon they are family of the owners or locals on school/college holiday. They were not super efficient but they were good and very friendly in a "dude" sort of a way. The food was really good with excellent range and presentation. The man who i reckon is the owner / chef served us our ice creams himself on the way back from Baggy Point and did so with grace smile and relaxed vibe. I would massively recommend. Oh and one loo is a touch annoying but is is a fantastic loo so that kind of makes up for it...

• Visited July 2013
Thanks for your review dobehave.

Glad you enjoyed it.

PS. We have 13 loos for the Lodge and House, but just one for the cafe'. Sorry we had to do it this way, but otherwise we become a public loo for 100's a day as there are none out here.

Thanks again.