2,118 results
All reviews terrace lounge sea facing room sand dunes stunning location main restaurant family suite indoor pool lovely hotel short break brend hotels north devon scones cream tea relaxing break great facilities single room car park
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Having stayed at Saunton Sands Hotel many times over the last few years, I write sadly that this time our stay was ruined by a very rude restaurant manager, the most uncomfortable beds and poor service. I do not generally complain but I felt it justified to let other potential guests know what they are letting themselves in for.
I have written a lengthy complaint letter to Mr Brend but having read other reviews on here I gather I will be lucky to recieve a reply let alone an apology. I had requested a twin deluxe room on the first floor and was given a double room on the 3rd floor so we had to be moved, which was funnily enough to the first floor as originally requested. I asked for 2 feather pillows and was told the hotel does not possess any at all, then to find on the last night of 3 sleepless nights, that there was one at the back of the wardrobe in my room. The bed was horrendous, as was my daughter's. We both had to make mattress toppers out of bedspreads to ease the situation. The restaurant manager is the most argumentative, rude person I have come across in years. He moved us from the original lovely table the first night to a less well positioned one the second night and told me the reason was because we were not in a deluxe room any more, so I explained that I had had to be moved the day of arrival due to their mistake but was still paying for a deluxe to which he replied that was nothing to do with him as it was his day off yesterday! Three times he was like this and I was becoming more and more stressed by his behaviour. Totally unprofessional. I have to say there were a few other staff in the restuarant that were very helpful. We were charged for a newspaper each day but that was already included in deluxe price which I had paid. Dash of lime cordial to go in water cost £2.85.The hotel rides on the amazing views it has of Saunton beach which are unrivalled. Shame that a little money could not be spent on updating the guests comfort on new beds and aircon and maybe sending their senior staff on a customer relations course!

Room tip: Sea facing are a must. Furthest away from the lift and stair well for quietness. Feather pillow at back of wardrobe if needed. Check your final bill.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank JohanneT01
BrendHotels, Manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Thank you for your recent review, as stated you have sent a letter to the hotel regarding your recent stay and we have responded directly with the reviewer with regards to the matters raised

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Have just spent 2 nights at the Saunton Sands Hotel with my daughter. We've been coming here for many years and keep returning. It's not cheap but the location is unbeatable -it' stunning. The food this time was much improved on previous visits - the chef uses lots of local produce which is excellent. The service is a real mixed bag though. There are plenty of staff around but the organisation seems lacking, although in the restaurant it's fine. Whenever we've ordered food from the bar/lounge area it's taken a ridiculous amount of time to come - to the extent we've had to cancel the order once or twice! Also, no one seems to take responsibility for the failure, so I think a little customer service training in certain areas wouldn't go amiss! On the whole, though, I'd still recommend a visit.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Sadly, despite wanting to stay in this hotel for years. Felt really let down by our experience. Stayed one night and managed to get a discounted dinner bed and breakfast deal. The hotel is still a higher priced hotel and expected a lot more. Shower which barely had more than a trickle of water coming out of it. Room over looking their ventilation system so when we opened the windows to try and cool our very hot room down then the sound of the sea was replaced by that. Room very hot with insufficient windows to cool. No aircon so had to get a portable fan at 2am. Lastly an uncomfortable lumpy bed. At the bar Overpriced cocktails where they had no mint for my favourite or any plastic cocktail glasses left to have them by the pool.. Food was better and views amazing!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank chrisandnathalie
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Went with a party of 12 golfers. The hotel is ideally located next to 2 famous Links courses. The rooms are good and the views spectacular. However, if you're a golfer, you are a nuisance and a second class citizen. Our group were told that, because we were a large group, our dining time would have to be varied " so that the kitchen can adequately cope with preferences from our other guests!" That's strange! I thought we were paying customers too?

The food, breakfast excepted, was very "nouvelle cuisine...hardly enough to feed a hamster!"

Anyway, think twice before booking Saunton Sands, if you're a golfer!

Room tip: Ask for a sea view!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank fingolf
BrendHotels, Manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your view regarding your recent stay at the hotel.
May I apologise that the Restaurant did not meet with your satisfaction. The Restaurant operates a booking system to maintain a high level of service and from time to time we have to restrict the flow of people into the Restaurant, in the event booking times are missed and I believe that unfortunately this was the case with your party.
Being in such close proximity to the Golf Club we have large numbers of golfing parties stay with us, I apologise if you felt in any way that our level of service was compromised due to being part of a golfing party.
Thank you once again for your review and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you all back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

We visit the hotel regularly and in the past my review would have been glowing. However, when we visited in March we were really quite disappointed. Free cream tea was included in the lounge and not only were the scones not properly cooked they were not fresh either. They did replace the scones but even the replacements were not fresh. On all three nights part or all of the dinner was cold. The last night was the worst and there were several verbal complaints. Our lovely waitress told us that the manager would speak to us but he never came over. The temperature of the dinner is always variable (I have mentioned this to the hotel before) but on this occasion it was way past being a glitch. The wine waiter virtually ignored us after our first order which was also a pain. Another couple sitting next to us had booked on recommendation from friends and, after the dinner that evening, were certainly not going to come back. I included a written complaint in the usual comments form and, to date, have received neither an acknowledgement or an explanation. The location is fabulous but the hotel is very expensive and, as such, the food needs to be excellent as well. We have been coming to the hotel for years but my husband refused point blank to re-book for a long weekend in June so we went elsewhere. What a shame!

Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank UKlady56uk
BrendHotels, Manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your stay at the hotel, we value all our guest's feedback and we are sorry that your recent stay did not meet your previous experiences.

Please rest assured your comments have been addressed and subsequently acted upon. We do hope you may consider a future stay at the hotel.