“Superb!”

Saunton Sands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Braunton
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Stayed at this gem last weekend for my Birthday.Staff were very attentive and could not do enough for me and any of my party.Sea view room was to die for!

Food and drinks excellent with super options and very reasonable prices.

Excellent leisure facilities and entertainment.

Can' t speak highly enough about the whole weekend.

Thanks guys!!

Tom N

Room Tip: Choose the sea view room, you won't regret it!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Having stayed at Saunton Sands Hotel many times over the last few years, I write sadly that this time our stay was ruined by a very rude restaurant manager, the most uncomfortable beds and poor service. I do not generally complain but I felt it justified to let other potential guests know what they are letting themselves in for.
I have written a lengthy complaint letter to Mr Brend but having read other reviews on here I gather I will be lucky to recieve a reply let alone an apology. I had requested a twin deluxe room on the first floor and was given a double room on the 3rd floor so we had to be moved, which was funnily enough to the first floor as originally requested. I asked for 2 feather pillows and was told the hotel does not possess any at all, then to find on the last night of 3 sleepless nights, that there was one at the back of the wardrobe in my room. The bed was horrendous, as was my daughter's. We both had to make mattress toppers out of bedspreads to ease the situation. The restaurant manager is the most argumentative, rude person I have come across in years. He moved us from the original lovely table the first night to a less well positioned one the second night and told me the reason was because we were not in a deluxe room any more, so I explained that I had had to be moved the day of arrival due to their mistake but was still paying for a deluxe to which he replied that was nothing to do with him as it was his day off yesterday! Three times he was like this and I was becoming more and more stressed by his behaviour. Totally unprofessional. I have to say there were a few other staff in the restuarant that were very helpful. We were charged for a newspaper each day but that was already included in deluxe price which I had paid. Dash of lime cordial to go in water cost £2.85.The hotel rides on the amazing views it has of Saunton beach which are unrivalled. Shame that a little money could not be spent on updating the guests comfort on new beds and aircon and maybe sending their senior staff on a customer relations course!

Room Tip: Sea facing are a must. Furthest away from the lift and stair well for quietness. Feather pillow at b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank JohanneT01
BrendHotels, Manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Thank you for your recent review, as stated you have sent a letter to the hotel regarding your recent stay and we have responded directly with the reviewer with regards to the matters raised

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Have just spent 2 nights at the Saunton Sands Hotel with my daughter. We've been coming here for many years and keep returning. It's not cheap but the location is unbeatable -it' stunning. The food this time was much improved on previous visits - the chef uses lots of local produce which is excellent. The service is a real mixed bag though. There are plenty of staff around but the organisation seems lacking, although in the restaurant it's fine. Whenever we've ordered food from the bar/lounge area it's taken a ridiculous amount of time to come - to the extent we've had to cancel the order once or twice! Also, no one seems to take responsibility for the failure, so I think a little customer service training in certain areas wouldn't go amiss! On the whole, though, I'd still recommend a visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Sadly, despite wanting to stay in this hotel for years. Felt really let down by our experience. Stayed one night and managed to get a discounted dinner bed and breakfast deal. The hotel is still a higher priced hotel and expected a lot more. Shower which barely had more than a trickle of water coming out of it. Room over looking their ventilation system so when we opened the windows to try and cool our very hot room down then the sound of the sea was replaced by that. Room very hot with insufficient windows to cool. No aircon so had to get a portable fan at 2am. Lastly an uncomfortable lumpy bed. At the bar Overpriced cocktails where they had no mint for my favourite or any plastic cocktail glasses left to have them by the pool.. Food was better and views amazing!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank chrisandnathalie
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Went with a party of 12 golfers. The hotel is ideally located next to 2 famous Links courses. The rooms are good and the views spectacular. However, if you're a golfer, you are a nuisance and a second class citizen. Our group were told that, because we were a large group, our dining time would have to be varied " so that the kitchen can adequately cope with preferences from our other guests!" That's strange! I thought we were paying customers too?

The food, breakfast excepted, was very "nouvelle cuisine...hardly enough to feed a hamster!"

Anyway, think twice before booking Saunton Sands, if you're a golfer!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank fingolf
BrendHotels, Manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your view regarding your recent stay at the hotel.
May I apologise that the Restaurant did not meet with your satisfaction. The Restaurant operates a booking system to maintain a high level of service and from time to time we have to restrict the flow of people into the Restaurant, in the event booking times are missed and I believe that unfortunately this was the case with your party.
Being in such close proximity to the Golf Club we have large numbers of golfing parties stay with us, I apologise if you felt in any way that our level of service was compromised due to being part of a golfing party.
Thank you once again for your review and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you all back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

We visit the hotel regularly and in the past my review would have been glowing. However, when we visited in March we were really quite disappointed. Free cream tea was included in the lounge and not only were the scones not properly cooked they were not fresh either. They did replace the scones but even the replacements were not fresh. On all three nights part or all of the dinner was cold. The last night was the worst and there were several verbal complaints. Our lovely waitress told us that the manager would speak to us but he never came over. The temperature of the dinner is always variable (I have mentioned this to the hotel before) but on this occasion it was way past being a glitch. The wine waiter virtually ignored us after our first order which was also a pain. Another couple sitting next to us had booked on recommendation from friends and, after the dinner that evening, were certainly not going to come back. I included a written complaint in the usual comments form and, to date, have received neither an acknowledgement or an explanation. The location is fabulous but the hotel is very expensive and, as such, the food needs to be excellent as well. We have been coming to the hotel for years but my husband refused point blank to re-book for a long weekend in June so we went elsewhere. What a shame!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank UKlady56uk
BrendHotels, Manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your stay at the hotel, we value all our guest's feedback and we are sorry that your recent stay did not meet your previous experiences.

Please rest assured your comments have been addressed and subsequently acted upon. We do hope you may consider a future stay at the hotel.

Reviewed 28 June 2013

On arrival check in was slow because the receptionist was alone and engaged in a long telephone conversation with a customer who was obviously having difficulties understanding information that she was giving.
We had a room on the same floor as the reception; on entering we immediately noticed an unpleasant smell. The bath was the source of this;the drains had overflowed into the bath at some stage, leaving debris behind. The exhaust fan was not working, which did not help. Housekeeping rapidly arrived and cleaned the bath before going to check the pressure in pipes elsewhere. The hotel is built on a steep slope, sewage will have to be pumped up the hill and this must have failed in some way. The fan had been switched off in the bedroom, which we discovered on day 2. Not the best arrival so why the 'very good' rating?

There were plenty of good things, staff were friendly. The view down Saunton Sands is wonderful with dunes to the left and the sea on the right (seaview room recommended).
The bedroom was comfortable, quiet and reasonably dark at night.
The bathroom looked stylish and everything worked after the poor start.
We had a dinner, B&B deal and the evening meal was well presented. Some of the food was excellent and beautifully presented. A meal with duck breast and confit was not up to standard, the duck breast was pink but it was tough and showed evidence of having been left under a heat source for longer than was wise. There may be staffing issues in the kitchen because the waiting staff had to apologise to many guests one evening because main courses were delayed but the view makes time pass so this was not an issue for us. I noted a comment about small portion sizes, this is true and on the first night I had the cheese board as an extra but the small portions proved to be more than adequate.
There was a good wine list, we were advised to try a Devon wine with our Torbay sole and it was excellent; there are some very good vineyards in the West country and perhaps this section of the wine list should be expanded.
We had stayed here before (in a luxury seaview room) close to the indoor pool. We enjoyed the stay and hence our return. I would return again, despite the plumbing problems.

Room Tip: A hotel where paying for a seaview is really worthwhile.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braunton
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
#2 of 6 in Barnstaple
Royal & Fortescue Hotel
Royal & Fortescue Hotel
#5 of 6 in Barnstaple

Been to Saunton Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!