“Very special!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Braunton
Isle of Wight, UK
“Very special!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

My boyfriend took me here for my 30th birthday, after previously visiting Saunton and falling in love with the art deco hotel on the headland. We had a deluxe seaview balcony room and it was stunning. The view was just mesmerising. I could lay on the (huge, comfy) bed and stare at the sea. We opened a window one night and I could hear the gentle waves crashing, it was sublime. The room itself was large and very comfortable and warm. We felt very at home. The restaurant was impressive - lively, bubbly atmosphere while being smart. The food was great, there was a main menu then specials each night. I liked that we had the same table each time we visited. Breakfast was fab also. It is definitely an older crowd here but we didn't feel out of place - the staff are incredibly welcoming and go above and beyond their roles. I constantly saw the staff smiling and chatting to guests - even the young waitresses. It was heart-warming. So sweet to see returning guests being remembered and welcomed back. I really hope we go back one day - maybe for my 60th!! We also had a cream tea and carrot cake & tea - worth every penny and the lounge/bar area is lovely to relax in - so much effort gone into the Christmas decs and it is so warm. The best things about Saunton Sands for me were the staff, the food and the location. Oh, and the pool - we had it to ourselves every day and it was so clean and the pool very warm!

Room Tip: I recommend a sea view room
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Littlescooper
BrendHotels, Owner at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
What a fantastic review, thank you. Saunton Sands Hotel prides itself on top quality service and it was clearly appreciated by you both. We have a fantastic location which is matched by our service at all levels. We hope to welcome you back for your next birthday, but hopefully long before your 60th! Looking forward to welcoming you back very soon - Pete Brend

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
Bristol, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

I booked a group of 8 - over 70s! - and they absolutely loved it - we had limo ride from bristol - 650 return trip for 8 !!! - it was a great Christmas treat I would recommend this hotel as a gift weekend - they have plenty offers on throughout the year and the view is fantastic

• Stayed December 2013
I am so pleased you all had an amazing break with us. We have a fantastic Christmas programme and as you say there are plenty of other offers all year round. We have speciality weekends too that you may be interested in. So pleased you had a memorable time, I look forward to welcoming you all back very soon - Pete Brend
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Stayed for three nights with my wife, 9-month old boy and another young family. The staff go out of their way to be helpful and the great food and amazing beach made for a fab stay. Sea facing room a mus. Can't wait to go back

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your great review. Our staff are one of our best assets and we pride ourselves on delivery top class service to families. We look forward to welcoming you again very soon - Pete Brend
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We've been to the Sands more than a dozen times in the last few years and I'm sad to say that we feel that each time it loses a bit of that sparkle - just small things but they are all beginning to add up.

On a positive note the Christmas decorations look great, the meals and service good and of course the views go without saying. They are the hotel's biggest asset but I think they rely on them a bit too much to keep the positives.

But - sorry - I am going to have to list a few gripes. Mainly around housekeeping.

We were on a two night break in a deluxe sea view room - which was pretty small and cramped and when I asked if this was the correct room we got two different answers. I suspect a standard room had just been re-graded with extras. Which ironically we didn't get!

The advertised complimentary chocolates were not available (I was told there were none in the hotel at all) - couldn't someone had gone out to buy some? This was a celebratory trip for me so these little touches are all part of the fun but no effort was made to offer alternatives.

Toiletries were only half full (on arrival) and we had to ask for wine glasses (there were bottles in the mini fridge but no glasses to drink from).

The adjoining room had a very squeaky door which didn't help our sleeping. This was fixed on our request but only after ruining one night's sleep. The room was also very hot, even with radiators switched off (agree with earlier comments from reviewers) and the mattresses pretty saggy and in need of replacement.

And the lovely view is a little spoilt by the dirty windows!

I wonder if the owners are trying to cut costs? Dirty windows and very low level lighting in the corridors and swimming pool (it's a nice pool but very gloomy at this time of year) could be ways of saving money but I fear that they could put people off.

And other little things - like the tiny coffee cups served after the meal, and the really expensive hot drinks - really make me feel that this is all about the money. Customer service - especially to its loyal regular guests is being forgotten. Or perhaps the owners don't really care about them - their marketing is targeting new groups and new audiences who wouldn't know how things once were. And conference parties who perhaps don't have the same expectations of a venue.

There are also so many 'cheap' deals on offer (I get them almost every day) so I suspect they need to increase occupancy but I think a deal is only a bargain if you get the same standards and service as full price.

I am sorry that things seem to be going this way - I do love the hotel but really hope that next time I can only write about positives.

Room Tip: Sea views are a must.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RoxiB
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Comments from you help us to continually strive to provide the best holidays. I am liasing with housekeeping about the issues you raise which were not up to scratch for which I apologise. We are currently working on an extensive programme of refurbishment which will highlight the hotel's traditional sparkle, together with our excellent service. The messages you receive from us are specifically tailored to our previous visitors as offers to thank them for staying previously. I hope to welcome you back very soon and I would like to deal with your booking personally, so do please ask for me - Pete Brend
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We recently stayed in a deluxe double sea view room with balcony. Lovely room, very clean and very well equipped. We have stayed in the hotel many times and not been disappointed but this time we felt the food let it down. My husband sent his dinner back to the kitchen because it was served cold, mine was not too hot either. Although the staff in the dining room are very pleasant, it did seem a bit disorganised. The cooked breakfast is kept warm under hot lights but it tasted as though it had been hanging around and also not very hot. The cold part of the breakfast is lovely. What has happened to the food it used to be so much better? We have now decided to stay elsewhere but we will definitely miss the location. It suits us for walking and bird watching so pull your socks up Saunton Sands and we will come back!

Room Tip: The best rooms are sea facing
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your comments, Im so pleased you have visited us on a number of occasions and had a great time. I am sorry that you felt that our food offering was not on par for you latest stay with us and that this has resulted in you booking your next break elsewhere. I have passed your comments on to the team and they will be actioned upon. We are constantly creating new and exciting dishes and really would like to welcome you back to the hotel to showcase our food. Please do contact me personally if you would like to discuss your review. If you do decide to visit the hotel again, I would like to deal with your booking personally - Pete Brend
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

My sister and myself spent a 2 night special deal break in November.Stunning setting with hotel overlooking unspoilt beach.This tastefully decorated 1930's hotel was a lovely setting for afternoon tea.
The welcome received was unbelievable as we were picked up from the station by Paul who spoke with enthusiasm about the area and places to visit, The hotel manager also gave us a map and gave us advice on a walk to the stunning Baggy Point.
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and good service and hospitality was consistent at all levels.The food was varied and of a high standard.The sea views from the bedrooms were stunning and we will definitely return next year.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view with a balcony if possible.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your outstanding review. We are always hapy to collect our visitors from the station and I shall pass your comments on to Paul, he is passionante about what we do and our location. Our staff are one of our best assets and service is key to what we do. I hope that you visit us again soon, I look forward to welcoming you - Pete Brend
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

The building, general environment, politeness and attentiveness of all staff members were, without exception, exemplary. However, the afternoon tea and the dinner were disappointing.

Afternoon tea and cakes taken in the lounge:- There was no variety in the cakes available. The three types of cake, although large in portion, all had very thick butter icing and/or butter icing as a filling. All three cakes were sponge cakes that were hardly distinguishable from each other. As far as we could make out there were no other types of cake to be had.

Dinner:- Beautifully presented but with little taste - very disappointing indeed. Almost all desserts were ice cream based. To this extent they lacked imagination.

Room Tip: Make sure that you are not above the room in which the disco takes place.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank DBinDevon
BrendHotels, Manager at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Saunton Sands Hotel.

I was sorry to read that you found our afternoon tea selection lacking in variety.

As you quite rightly stated, we do display three different varieties of cake and I am sorry that you felt let down by the selection on offer. We do however also offer a traditional Devon Cream Tea as well as our Saunton Tea which come with a selection of finger sandwiches, bridge roll, pastries,cakes, scones jam and cream which are served on a daily basis.

I was disappointed that you felt the dinner lacked taste, which I have discussed with the Head Chef, however it comes down to persona l preference. With regard to the nine different desserts we offer on a nightly basis, apart from the selection of ice cream not one of the other dishes is ice cream based and do not agree that they lack imagination and I am sorry that you felt that this was the case.

On a more positive note, I was delighted to read that the all the other services were exemplary.

Thank you once again for taking the time in bringing your observations to our attention and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Saunton in the very near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braunton
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
#2 of 6 in Barnstaple
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#4 of 4 in Woolacombe

Been to Saunton Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!