“Blindfolded guests”

Saunton Sands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Braunton
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Sitting in the absolute comfort of this fantastic hotel, I read a couple of reviews which left me speechless. We had a fantastic, comfortable, super-clean bedroom and had a wonderful meals served by attentive, but not intrusive staff.
When we arrived we were escorted from our car to our room in a seamless exercise and our luggage housed while we registered.
Having stayed in excellent hotels across Europe, Saunton Sands Hotel and also a sister Brend hotel we have used, rank amongst the nicest and most user friendly.
I can only assume other reporters frequent Claridges or the Savoy, as it would take such a calibre to beat the professionalism of the Brend staff.
We shall return......

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view to gain the most from the fantastic, almost unrivalled location.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
BrendHotels, Owner at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

What a fantastic review of our hotel. Thank you. Our staff really pride themselves on giving our guests a first class service and it sounds as though you experienced that. I look forward to your next stay - Pete Brend

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The positives first: location superb, general facilities excellent and food good (particularly the breakfasts).
The negatives: our room was far too small for a double; we had to move a chair in order to gain access to the cloths cupboard! It was also noisy due to a couple of air conditioning fan exits on the flat roof below the room window. We knew we were not getting a sea view but the quality of this room was far below one would expect from a 4 star hotel. The diners were good but over-priced.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Peter J

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I'm so pleased you rated our facilities and food highly. I'm sorry that you felt that your room was too small but I hope that you found it spotlessly clean and the bed comfortable. I shall investigate the noises of the outside fans. I do hope that you will make a return visit to see us soon - Pete Brend

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Having grown up in Devon spending hours on Saunton beach The Saunton Sands hotel has long been somewhere I’ve longed to stay at. However the price has somewhat always put me off. Staying here had to be a special occasion.
A weeding Anniversary is the perfect reason to stay. We picked a deluxe room with sea views in June not cheap.
The outside of the hotel is now somewhat dated. Upon arrival I did feel slightly disappointed however as soon as you park the car the views are so stunning you almost don’t see the tired exterior of the hotel. However once entering the hotel wow it really is stunning. Everything is perfect, both indoor and outdoor pool stunning, the grounds amazing, everything including the carpets first class.
We had room 310. As I have said we did pay a lot of money for the room so my expectations were high, I was slightly disappointed. The room was lovely, lots of space, immaculate, stunning views from the balcony absolutely first class. The only thing I would say is because of the price I would have expected slightly better touches. Such a the chocolates, flowers toiletries etc. very basic. Might have been nice to have some fruit etc. just some little touches that would have made a difference given the cost of the room.
Would we return? Defiantly. Stunning. One night not enough.
I’d like to add there was a wedding taking place whilst we were there and we didn’t hear a thing so please don’t be put off if there is a wedding booked when you stay.
Lovely staff. First class

Room Tip: 310 - stunning views over the Atlantic Ocean
1  Thank Tom_Debz

Thank you so much for your great review. It sounds as though you had a fantastic anniversary and made lots of memories. The outside of the hotel is currently undergoing a huge refurbishment programme, so I hope you will be able to come back and see what we have done for another anniversary.

We don't provide fruit in the room, however, our reception staff will always help you with such a request. I hope to see you again very soon - Pete Brend

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Price is always something you need to decide on, is it worth the expense? Mostly definitely here it was worth it. Great meal excellent service, nothing to much trouble. Staff attentive but not intrusive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your review. I'm so glad you enjoyed dining with us, I also hope you liked our refurbished restaurant and Terrace Lounge, they really do enhance the dining experience. I look forward to seeing you again very soon - Pete Brend

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We as a group of Golfers have stayed a Saunton Sands Hotel for 5 years running, unfortunately there will not be a sixth.I would have to say the staff are very good, but the Hotel is looking very tired.we stayed in the apartment block and they smelt very damp and musty.my room in fact had mould on the wall.
What really disapointed was the food, breakfast was fine with a good selection,the evening meal however was very poor, not hot and very poor quality, in fact several sent the food back. Also we were late eating in the evening to accommodate other groups, in fact it was 9/9.30 most evenings.Again I would praise the staff as they remained calm and polite at all times.
I'm sorry Saunton and although we will be back to play Golf next year you will not be having our custom henceforth.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review of your most recent stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear that you felt that your apartment was not up to scratch. We are in the process of refurbishing our apartments and some have already been finished. I have advised housekeeping about your comments. With regard to your dining experience, I am surprised to hear that your food was not hot enough. I hope that our staff resolved the matter and I apologise if that was the case.

I do hope that you will make a return visit and I would be happy to deal with your booking personally to ensure that you have the best possible stay - Pete Brend

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Staff were friendly, helpful and lovely with the kids. Jed in the bar and John in the restaurant were a particular hit! They ways had time for a chat with the kids!
Food was delicious.
The hotel offers everything you could need for a truly relaxed stay. Not having to worry about children being children is a lovely thing!
Thank you for making the stay a happy, relaxed one.
We will be returning soon!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank HJMurph

Thank you for writing such a great review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon. I shall give Jed and John your thanks too - Pete Brend

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed for one night as part of a wedding party. The wedding itself was spectacular and guests were well catered for.

The room, not so. We were placed in a room above the evening party venue which could only have been given to guests of the wedding as it was so loud with the music.

The room was tired, hot, bland, boring and unclean. The bathroom obviously hasn't been updated in over 15 years. We booked for a double and for some reason had an unexplained extra single bed in the room. There was no air conditioning or any sort of fan making the room absolutely airless. This resulted in having to open the only window which overlooked the road. To say it was noisy would be an understatement. I had absolutely no sleep at all, partly due to the busy road and partly due to the unbelievable temperatures that were reached in the room.

Overall a lovely setting but avoid the rooms overlooking the road. They are truly dire!

Room Tip: NOT room 400!
2  Thank AsanteSanaKenya
BrendHotels, Owner at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the wedding party with us. You correctly say that the rooms above the wedding venue are given to wedding guests. They are at a discounted rate.

With regard to room 400, you are correct, it is an inland facing room and there is no air conditioning in the rooms. A fan would of course have been provided if you had requested one.

Your other comments are completely untrue. Room 400 has just been refurbished to a very high standard with new beds, pillows, curtains, carpets and furniture etc. The bathroom is next on the list to be refurbished. With regard to the room being unclean, this would absolutely not have been the case but you could have passed comment to reception who would have discussed the matter with you at the time - Pete Brend

Also consider these accommodations in or near Braunton
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
#2 of 6 in Barnstaple
Royal & Fortescue Hotel
Royal & Fortescue Hotel
#5 of 6 in Barnstaple

Been to Saunton Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!