“one nighter”

Saunton Sands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Braunton
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Although only a one night stay (discounted through LateRooms.com) we were given a
warm welcome at reception and soon settled into our double ensuite room with stunning
views over Saunton Sands to Appledore in the far distance. All hotel facilities were available
to us and staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful. Would fully recommend, especially breakfast "el fresco" on the sun terrace. Will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: worth paying extra for balcony with sea views.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Peter B
BrendHotels, Owner at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Many thanks for your excellent review - the hotel's views are spectacular all year round, but when you can dine outside it really is extra special. I do hope to welcome you back soon - Pete Brend

Write a ReviewReviews (1,834)

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Pretentious and overpriced - we stayed in Surf View, your luxury apartment - the shower didn't want to turn on and when it did it made an awful noise unless you used it on an almost cold setting, the carpet in the bedroom we were in was really filthy and sticky, a lot the cups and plates had been put in the cupboard dirty and the dishwasher was dirty with lots of remnants of old food in it, the bedroom door was faulty and hard to open which freaked me out when I first discovered I couldn't open it in a pitch black room in the middle of the night. There were hula hoops and peanuts left under the lounge table from the last visitors or maybe even the visitors before that? Most of the staff were really lovely and helpful apart from a couple of female waiting staff who clearly found us 'from the apartments' tedious and overly needy - needy in the fact that we sent the hot meals that were served cold back for reheating! God forbid! We spent in excess of £2000 (4 of us) for 3 nights, and felt quite peeved that we even felt the need to complain about anything. Our friends who had stayed on many previous occasions recommended this hotel to us and we all arrived with great expectations - 'no children's meals served after 7pm' - 'we prefer jacket and tie in the restaurant' blah blah blah - all rubbish - it seems you can turn up dressed in anything and you will be seated and served, kids sat happily devouring chips with their 'happy sized meals' - we felt mightily overdressed with our men looking smart but hot in jackets and ties - why didn't you warn us that you have down graded so we could have packed a lot less for our stay? Your strict rules are still in your room information - why don't you continue to stand by them? My husband and myself spent the Friday night in the Imperial hotel in Barnstaple (your sister hotel) it was fabulous there < we expected the same from Saunton Sands and were bitterly disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank juliel3762
BrendHotels, Owner at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. I am pleased that the management have contacted you directly to discuss your concerns in person. I hope you will make a return visit soon - Pete Brend

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Having spent a wonderful weekend in the best apartment at Saunton Sands in the most spectacular weather possible , I would like I to make a few observations.
For manŷ years we came here and appreciated the restaurant rule about jacket and tie and NO children after 7 00 pm
Alas it is no longer the case, we turned up duly attired in Jacket &tie only to find every occupied table casually dressed with Children much in evidence.
The food has taken a change for the worse with the head chef obviously much influenced by masterchef trying to become totally over the top with what we call "Mucked About Food"
Traditional good quality fare is what was always order of the day and what the Hotel built it's reputation on.
To add insult to injury, on our return I saw on line an advert offering the apartments Half price for the whole of June!!
I telephoned a manager to say that at £450 per night we had been overcharged, and his explanation was that as we booked on 4th May for our weekend of 21st June we didn't qualify for the half price offer!!!
If we had waited until 1st June before booking we would have done!!.
The moral here is DONT book well in advance- wait until the last minute
My view is that if prices are reduced it should be for everyone not just the late bookers!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Peter S
BrendHotels, Owner at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your review, I'm so glad that you had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed the great weather.

I'd like to reply to the observations you make. We have slightly revised our restaurant rules which are present on our website, but we do still require people to be very smart. 'From 6.30pm smart dress is required for dinner, in other words we don’t allow sportswear, collarless shirts, shorts, trainers or sandals to be worn please. Smart jeans may now be worn in the restaurant'.

Our restaurant is AA rosette award winning quality and a fine dining experience. There are other dining options in the hotel and our Terrace Lounge menu offers fresh locally sourced food.

Our special offers are available to all our visitors and appear on our website. This included the half price apartments booked in June. I'm sorry that you didn't qualify on this occasion, but please do look out for any future ones on the offers page of our website.

I do hope that you will make a return visit soon - Pete Brend

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The hotel has an elegant interior and the rooms are nicely furnished. We were travelling around Devon so only stayed for one night. The weather was great and the heated outdoor pool was super. We found breakfast and dinner to be very good and the staff couteous and helpful.
The hotel overlooks a fabulous beach and I doubt whether there is a better vista in the uk. Unfortunately, for me, the big let down (Not the hotel's fault) is that the beach is crawling with yapping dogs (one person had 6) and despite the fact that it is some distance away, the noise did carry.

1  Thank Oldironfan

Thank you for writing us a review, I'm so glad you experienced the fabulous weather and our outdoor pool. We are blessed as you say, to have just a fantastic headland position. I hope you make a return visit very soon - Pete Brend

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a holiday apartment with another family. Couldn't have been a better layout, clean rooms and great babysitting service.
Food was great.
We loved the heated outdoor pool. Will definitely come again!

• Stayed: June 2014
BrendHotels, Owner at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

I'm so pleased you all had a great time. Our apartments are great for families, you have use of all the hotel's facilities but all the room you need to be together as a family. I hope that you made some lifetime memories and will visit us again soon - Pete Brend

Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Hotel itself was superb but spoilt by the food which was extremely disappointing. The broccoli I had with the fish was hard and the fish was minuscule. The Knickerbocker Glory was the worst one I have ever had. The famous cream tea had the worst scones I have seen apart from the ones seen in a corner shop. Fortunately we were only given one each. The cream had been left out for some time as it was not fresh but melting. The breakfast would of been ok if it had been hot. We were not allowed to sit by the windows as they were reserved for coach parties also in certain areas of the Terrace.

Room Tip: Do not accept rooms without lift access as the 2 flights of stairs are very steep and they don't...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Ivan B

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us, I hope that your room was comfortable and you made use of our facilities.

I am sorry that your dining experience was not to your liking. Each restaurant dish is cooked to order and receives fantastic reviews. I hope that you spoke to your dining staff that evening and your issues were resolved?

I hope that you will make a return visit soon - Pete Brend

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Thank you to all the staff at Saunton Sands Hotel. We have just returned from the Strictly Come Dancing event at the hotel and we had a fabulous time. The staff are amazing...well done to the manager for motivating everyone that works here...mind you the location is so fabulous I can't see how anyone one working there would not be smiling and friendly. The evening meal was excellent. Breakfast was a bit cool but this was dealt with professionally and promptly once pointed out. Our room was very comfortable (118) and well appointed. We will be coming back as soon as we can.

Room Tip: If you can afford it chose a room with a balcony...the view is stunning.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

I'm so pleased that you enjoyed our Glitz and Sparkle summer ball. It really was a fabulous night. I shall let everyone involved know how much you enjoyed the evening and your stay with us. I look forward to seeing you again very soon - Pete Brend

Also consider these accommodations in or near Braunton
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
#2 of 6 in Barnstaple
Royal & Fortescue Hotel
Royal & Fortescue Hotel
#4 of 6 in Barnstaple

Been to Saunton Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!