“Lovely staff, but badly in need of refurbishment” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Saunton Sands Hotel

Saunton Sands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Braunton
Kent
“Lovely staff, but badly in need of refurbishment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

On the plus side, throughout our stay the staff were unfailingly helpful, friendly and charming. The views are stunning, the food is fine (though a very long wait for our food in the Terrace restaurant in the evening), but the self-catering apartments (two of them) were a real disappointment. I had to buy ear plugs because of the noise from the road in one of the apartments, which also had very uncomfortable beds. Both the apartments had shabby furniture and decor (including mould and discoloured grout in one bathroom), barely adequate kitchen facilities, and I don't know what is going on with the water supply but one bathroom had a mere dribble of cold water available in the washbasin, while one of the bathrooms in another apartment had no hot water to the bath at all. I don't know if the hotel rooms are perhaps better maintained (the main public areas of the hotel are), but I wouldn't recommend either of the apartments we stayed in. It was a real disappointment as we had been looking forward to our holiday. Certainly not worth the money, sadly.

Room Tip: Check whether you're getting a sea view and whether you're next to the noisy road, and stay...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sho79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Just spent one night here as a treat for my Mum who was recovering from a recent illness. Staff treated her like a queen, were so kind, made it very special. The room was beautifully decorated, abeit a bit small for the money. The breakfast was delicious as well. Had cream tea on the terrace too. Would love to go back and have a sea view room!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room .
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BrendHotels, Owner at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Hello, thanks for your kind review and I'm so glad that your mum felt thoroughly well looked after, I hope the break was recuperative and look forward to welcoming you again soon - Pete Brend
Horsham, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed for a couple of nights and enjoyed it immensely. Fantastic location, great food, friendly staff, and such beautiful decor in the main part of the hotel. Our small inland room was comfortable although the shower was hopeless! Plenty to do - swimming (very clean outdoor heated pool), walking (the beach goes on forever, amazing), eating (lunches and dinners delicious), and reading (all the daily papers and good selection of magazines to hand). Thank you for a great stay, could only be improved by installing decent showers and offering cooked-to-order breakfasts rather than buffet.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Jayne-M99
Hi, thanks for your review and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We'll certainly take your comments onboard. Thanks again - Pete Brend
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Surf apartment which is a separate building to the hotel and opens up onto a lawn with a walk way down to the beach. We had breakfast in the Hotel and also a family birthday dinner. The apparent was very well equipped with 3 bedrooms two bathrooms, kitchen, large lounge/dining room. We were a family of 11 including 3 young children and also had the 1st floor apartment as well. We all had full access to the hotel facilities which were excellent and can say that the staff were polite, courteous and helpful at all times. I thoroughly recommend this hotel which we have visited on several occasions.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Steveprice49
Hello, so pleased you had a good stay and we look forward to seeing you again soon - Pete Brend
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on 6&7 August and only wish it could have been longer. From the moment I arrived and the pleasant & friendly porter came across the car park to take my case and the concierge staff who greeted me I knew it was going to perfect, the reception area is immaculately clean and tastefully decorated with floral displays a lovely deep carpet, sofa's & chairs to relax on whilst enjoying a drink or reading the paper. The reception staff were equally as pleasant, friendly & helpful dealing with my check-in quickly & efficiently, then explaining all the facilities that were available to me and to ask if there was anything they could help me with.
On opening the door to my room I was left speechless because peeping back at me through the gap in tempting gap in the curtains was the most amazing view of sand & sea, I really couldn't believe how lucky I was to have such a beautiful view from my room, opening the sliding door and stepping onto the balcony I could see the outdoor pool and terrace area both of which looked so inviting. This is the County I grew up in and had spent many happy hours on this beach as a child but, to see the amazing views from this vantage point exceeded all expectations. My room itself was a spacious single room, bright & clean. The furniture in the room was lovely everything matching you couldn't fault anything, there was everything you could need down to the perfect tea tray with its little PRB hotels beverage box containing your drink sachets, sugar, milk & lovely biscuits. On opening the door to my bathroom which had a bath & overhead shower and was finished to a very high standard, there was also a lovely selection of shower gel, shampoo & conditioner, soap and body lotion just what any lady would love. There was also a separate cupboard with hangers for your clothes and space for shoes & cases.
After unpacking and changing I took the private pathway down to the beach from the hotel for a relaxing walk along the beach as it was such a lovely warm day it would have been a shame not to, taking pictures of the sea and surrounding area and on my way back the hotel perched high upon the cliff top, all memories to keep and look back on, on returning home.
I chose to eat on the outside terrace lounge as it was such a lovely evening, all 3 courses were of a very high standard, the wine equally as good and the staff very polite and helpful. On retiring both nights I couldn't believe how quiet it was for such a busy hotel, which led to my having 2 lovely relaxing nights sleep in a very comfortable bed.
After being shown to my table at breakfast there was a great selection of fruit juices, cereals/fresh fruit & yoghurts to choose from before enjoying my cooked breakfast. Tea & coffee were brought to your table by the dining staff who were on hand to at all times and couldn't have been more helpful.
Being such glorious weather I chose to take a ride out and about around the surrounding countryside in the morning, if you want a day shopping the main town Barnstaple is approx 8 miles away and can be reached by bus there is a stop a few yards from the hotel if you don't want to drive.
I enjoyed my afternoon on the beach before coming back up to take advantage of relaxing by the pool, the facilities really are superb for all ages. A lovely day before meeting old school friends I hadn't seen for 40 years that evening the main reason for my visit home in a long time.
Friday morning arrived all too soon and after enjoying another delicious breakfast it was time to depart for my journey home to Cumbria, again on checking out everyone was cheerful & helpful and I know this would be a hotel I'd be coming back to again & again. When you've had the very best nothing else will quite do, so I'll be back soon , a big thank you to all the staff for being so pleasant and friendly, making my stay so memorable.

It was very nice to meet you Peter Brend, for me your hotel is bit of heaven beside the sea and anyone visiting won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: A sea view really is a must you will never tire of the view which greets you, if you're travelli...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank R0bb1esgirl
BrendHotels, Owner at Saunton Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for sharing details of your time with us so brilliantly. It was like a page out of your holiday diary and with such glowing complements that I shall pass on to all the team. We hope to tempt you back down from Cumbria again very soon - Pete Brend
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I've heard quite a lot about this place and it looks great on the website. Like all things, it depends on your perspective. It's fine but a little on the dated side, having the feeling of an old cruise liner. I was in a single room, which - given the furnishings and decor - felt like a glorified pad in an upmarket old people's home. The view was comical (a roof and a wall) but I wasn't prepared to pay the extra given that I was only staying one night and not likely to be in the room that much.

The indoor pool is not up to the standards of a hotel priced as this one is - again, it's just a bit tired. Breakfast was fairly standard.

On the plus side: the service is generally very good and the location is fabulous, looking - as it does - over Saunton sands.

Given the price - it has to be a '3' from me as it simply doesn't compare with similarly-priced hotels elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid the single rooms if you can...!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JackPudding
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed the food and were happy with the service you received and of course our stunning location. I hope that you liked the the recently refurbished restaurant and Terrace lounge. I shall discuss your comment regarding the pool with the management team. I hope that if you do visit us again you'll be able to stay a little longer and perhaps try one of our sea-facing rooms...they really are worth it - Pete Brend
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have three children from 7 to 12 years who made the maximum use of both the fab indoor and outdoor pools this week. The hotel also organise lots of activities for them every day, which are free. This includes a fantastic surfing lesson on the beach with the local surf school that I'd highly recommend. The manager and staff are super friendly and nothing was too much trouble. My favourite thing is the breakfast! Man its good! The evening entertainment is great fun, but not in a in your face kind of way, if you'd rather sit in the spacious comfy lounge with a good book. Our rooms were top notch, spacious, super clean and the beds were very comfy. A minor gripe is the BT Openzone wifi, which is copper wire slow, but its ok for smart phone browsing and email! If you go out I'd highly recommend the Rock in Georgeham. Fab food and beers. The hotel itself has views to die for and the beach is a short walk away.

Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review of your recent family holiday. It sounds as though you all had a fantastic time and that is what we are here to provide. I'm so glad your children made use of our entertainment package, there really is so much on. i hope that you will all return and see us next summer, or sooner! - Pete Brend
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braunton
Watersmeet Hotel
#3 of 6 in Barnstaple
Royal Hotel
Royal Hotel
#4 of 4 in Woolacombe

Been to Saunton Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!