Saunton Sands Hotel
Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Resort(Croyde)(Great Value!)
US$207
Pitchup.com
Incledon Farm(Braunton)
Pitchup.com
1,962 results
All reviewsterrace loungesea facing roomstunning locationmain restaurantfamily suiteindoor poollovely hotelshort breakart decobrend hotelsnorth devonsconescream teatable tennisrelaxing breakbrend groupgreat facilities
Reviewed 1 February 2011

having stayed at this hotel many times in the past i read some not to good reviews on this site.we took advantage of a cheap deal and were not disappointed, the sea view room was great, food and service were at a very good standard, staff were pleasant and efficient .
swimming pool spotless and since our last stay a new male changing room next to the pool.
overall a good experience.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Having loaded Tripadvisor as a App on my phone - I read the reviews of Saunton Sands to try it out. I thought I would add my views.
We planned our visit to what we thought was a good hotel for a special break - on arrival we too were treated with disdain by the reception staff who reluctantly stopped chatting and got up from their chairs to hand us our key. We were given no directions to our room, and a smirk greeted our request for directions to the bar. The room was called Superior, the carpet was filthy, many of the lights dd not work and there was was too much oversized - well worn and very dirty furniture in the room. we had to move heavy chairs in order to close the curtains or get out to the balcony (complete with several dog-ends) to see the magnificent view. The bathroom was clean - although there was an old, large ,black stain in the toilet - but thbathroom was small with no access to storage apart from the window ledge. There was adequate storage in the bedroom, I had the dressing table stool removed immediately - the staining in evidence was very unpleasant and extensive - it was difficult to see what colour the covering might once have been. It was replaced with an oversized chair - but at least that was clean. The two easy chairs were also replaced after my complaint and all the lights were made to work. we kept the dogends for the four days of our stay! The staff in the bar were ok, the cream soft furniture in the bar area was again filthy, it looked like it had been walked over for several months. replaceable arm covers would have solved the problem. The staff in the dining room were very good - the table d'Hote menu was limited and a little strange but as we were only there for 4 days we thought it acceptable. The final straw came when I found a very long black hair in my potatoes, no real apology was given - the plate was whisked away - end of story. the reception staff were as discouteous when we checked out as they had been on our arrival. I wrote to the hotel with my complaints - no-one has ever given me the courtesy of a reply. Maybe they know I will never use a Brend Hotel ever again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
55  Thank Geebee9999
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I turned 40 in November and some months before started to look for a venue for a small, family celebration near Bideford.

Well, I certainly wasn't spoiled for choice, as there is a real lack of classy establishments in the area that could lay on the afternoon tea I was wanting for around 20 guests. Then I decided to turn to the Brend's flagship hotel, further away from Bideford, with a stunning view of Saunton Sands beach, and appropriately named the Saunton Sands Hotel. I paid my deposit a month in advance of the date, and specified that I would like a selection of cakes, scones, finger sandwiches, savouries and coffee / tea. They said I would need to confirm numbers a fortnight before, which I duly did. So I am sure you can imagine my intense annoyance, when having sent invitations out specifying 3pm, that 5 days before the event the hotel contacted me to say that they needed to move the start time! To which I replied that it would be out of the question. They sniffily retreated, but with little apology.

On the day itself, we arrived and the table was beautifully laid out with a spectacular view of the roaring waves. However, the coffee and tea had clearly been put there at around breakfast as they were stone-cold. The selection of foods were unceremoniously dumped on ugly-looking platters that had definitely seen better days. The cakes were merely offcuts of stodgy tray-bakes, the scones were more like rockbuns, and sandwiches had stale crusts but worst of all......the savouries were ALL pork-based. ALL. I found this very thoughtless - in this day and age surely I had been right in assuming that there would be a selection of vegetarian ones too? How wrong of me - this was North Devon after all.

After having waited an age to the coffee and tea to be replaced, I sat back and enjoyed the company of my family, who all found it an immense treat to have been invited to the premier venue of North Devon, and quite frankly I no longer had any energy to complain. But for a supposed 4-star hotel, I think that my local pub could have done much better, and I left feeling very sad that they probably didn't know that they should have tried much harder. After all, if they had been based in the Midlands, with all the competition about, they would not have survived in business for so long. The only reason they are still going is because they have a captive audience because of the amazing view.

This has made me think that for future celebrations I may as well order my buffet food from M&S online and pick it up from their Barnstaple store on my way home to my parents in Bideford!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
29  Thank OldMissusG
Reviewed 24 December 2010

We spent 2 nights there earlier this month. A first class hotel in a great location, the views of the beach are spectacular. The staff were great as was the food. We had the table d'hôte menu each night and it was excellent value and beautifully presented. The breakfast was also first class with plenty of hot food, fruit and the best of all freshly cooked eggs. The hotel has obviously had a re-vamp so the rooms were clean and very well presented. We will certainly stay here again soon.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2010

We stayed at the Saunton Sands hotel last September and was pleasantly surprised with the revamp of since we stayed several years ago, card keys replaced the old keys, a much wider patio to eat over looking the beach, excellent evening meal and much better quality breakfast. We had a rear hotel room probably over the kitchen which made for a warm night
but we did book last minuet so expect that was all that was available. After being disappointed several years ago it's now one of my favourite Devon hotels.
Steve from Berkshire