“Great Birthday Experience spent with my family”

Saunton Sands Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Braunton
Reviewed 6 March 2011

I have so enjoyed my stay here at Saunton Sands again this year for my Birthday. My teenage children always enjoy the stay and have lots to do. Over the weekend they have played tennis, squash, table tenis, swam - keeping themselves very busy. I always find the staff to be friendly. The food has been excellent. Saunton is a great place for families, but because of the size of the public areas there is a lot of space for those who want to be quiet and sit in the sun terrace room and enjoy the whole experience. It can also be a very romantic place - should you have the right company!!! I am always surprised by some of the negative comments found on Trip Advisor - especially about the staff. Saunton will always have special memories for me and my Children. I highly recommend this venue and the fact that some Guests have been returning to Saunton for over 3o years must be testament to the great experience you can enjoy here.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 March 2011

A four night stay with my partner in this beautiful part of the Devon coastline. However.... the hotel seems to be trading on its past glory and location and is now becoming shabby and unclean. Warnings of Norovirus posted around the hotel are, I think, more a reflection of the lack of hygiene and cleanliness in the hotel than an indication of a more general rise in the incidence of the disease.

More specifically, the bathroom attached to our room should haver been refurbished ten years ago. There was mildew growing on the tiles and there were soapy marks on the tiles indicating that they had no been cleaned certainly since the previous occupant but I suspect a lot longer. The shower curtain was also grubby with a greasy feel when it clung to you whilst showering. The built in cupboard/wardrobe in the room itself was full of dust and had numerous damp patches and wallpaper was coming away from the walls in several places around the room.

The junior staff were generally very pleasant although there was always an element of chaos about the place. Again on a cleanliness issue, the surly elderly waiter who worked at breakfast time was seen on a number of occasions scratching his head over the open jugs of fruit juice and every time he visited the kitchen he returned with yet another mouthful of food which he continued to chew as he went about his duties which seemed to include pouring leftover milk from the tables back into the main dispenser.

The lounge area was beginning to look shabby and litter left on the floor one day was still there a day later. The bar food was in my view overpriced and the cost of a mediocre cup of coffee has shot up from £2.60 to £3.60.

My partner was struggling with two suitcases and was surprised when the young doorman quickly averted his gaze and scurried away leaving her to struggle.

On checking out the bill bore little reflection of reality. Mini-bar use, restaurant extras all added on when this had not been the case.

In summary I was left with the impression of a hotel that has lost its way. It feels like it has rested on its laurels for too long and has left itself with a need for major refurbishment which has unfortunately coincided with a major recession. General management, customer relations and cleanliness are all in need of a major overhaul.

5  Thank Kadellin
Management response:Responded 8 March 2011

It is Brend Hotels company policy to have in place precautions for the control of Viral infectious diseases such as Norovirus. We as a company inform all our guests and put hand sanitiser gels in guest bedrooms and larger dispensers in public toilets. We also work very closely with the EHO’s to ensure best practice which reflects on our commitment to the health & safety of our visitors to Brend hotels.
With regard to other comments made we endeavour to give all our guests the highest level of quality and service. Please be assured that your comments have been noted and are currently being investigated and where appropriate, action will be taken to rectify the situation.
Thank you for taking the time to write this review as your feedback is important to us.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

Although the room wasn`t huge it was nice to have a table and armchairs in front of the window and gaze out at the huge expanse of Saunton Sands beach.Rooms have been furnished with an Art Deco theme to match the age of the hotel which is a nice touch although the bathrooms are a bit dated. Our 3 night DBB stay was very good value and the service was excellent without being obsequious. It was half term but I managed to get the pool to myself before breakfast. For a hotel, the indoor pool was a reasonable size. The food was well up to the high standards of other Brend hotels. One niggle - the exhorbitant price of wi fi. Another Brend hotel in the area offers free wi fi. It would be a good PR move not to charge and perhapsattracts more guests.

Reviewed 25 February 2011

Just returned home from a stay at Saunton Sands. As usual we looked at reviews before going and having been there 4 years ago wondered if it had gone downhill. Having stayed there we now wonder if some of the reviewers stayed at the same hotel! We booked a standard room but were upgraded to a seaview room free of charge. Room had a fantastic view, a large bathroom and amazing art deco furniture. Service from reception, beach cafe, bar staff and restaurant was pitched perfectly to be respectful but not stuffy - I hate hotels where staff are trained to bow and scrape in a we are not worthy style. The food quality was great, and the service intervals between courses were perfect for an intimate evening dinner. Overall we had a perfect stay, our only complaint would be that the snooker room as a guest facility should not be used as a storeroom for tables chairs and general unwanted catering equipment.

Reviewed 8 February 2011

The Saunton Sands Hotel is in such a beautiful location you can't help but fall in love with it. The hotel itself is warm, friendly and cosy whilst being modern and luxurious too. We had an inland double room which was lovely, clean, plush and very comfortable. I would recommend a visit at any time of year as the service, surroundings and views are amazing.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2011

having stayed at this hotel many times in the past i read some not to good reviews on this site.we took advantage of a cheap deal and were not disappointed, the sea view room was great, food and service were at a very good standard, staff were pleasant and efficient .
swimming pool spotless and since our last stay a new male changing room next to the pool.
overall a good experience.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Having loaded Tripadvisor as a App on my phone - I read the reviews of Saunton Sands to try it out. I thought I would add my views.
We planned our visit to what we thought was a good hotel for a special break - on arrival we too were treated with disdain by the reception staff who reluctantly stopped chatting and got up from their chairs to hand us our key. We were given no directions to our room, and a smirk greeted our request for directions to the bar. The room was called Superior, the carpet was filthy, many of the lights dd not work and there was was too much oversized - well worn and very dirty furniture in the room. we had to move heavy chairs in order to close the curtains or get out to the balcony (complete with several dog-ends) to see the magnificent view. The bathroom was clean - although there was an old, large ,black stain in the toilet - but thbathroom was small with no access to storage apart from the window ledge. There was adequate storage in the bedroom, I had the dressing table stool removed immediately - the staining in evidence was very unpleasant and extensive - it was difficult to see what colour the covering might once have been. It was replaced with an oversized chair - but at least that was clean. The two easy chairs were also replaced after my complaint and all the lights were made to work. we kept the dogends for the four days of our stay! The staff in the bar were ok, the cream soft furniture in the bar area was again filthy, it looked like it had been walked over for several months. replaceable arm covers would have solved the problem. The staff in the dining room were very good - the table d'Hote menu was limited and a little strange but as we were only there for 4 days we thought it acceptable. The final straw came when I found a very long black hair in my potatoes, no real apology was given - the plate was whisked away - end of story. the reception staff were as discouteous when we checked out as they had been on our arrival. I wrote to the hotel with my complaints - no-one has ever given me the courtesy of a reply. Maybe they know I will never use a Brend Hotel ever again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
50  Thank Geebee9999
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braunton
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
#2 of 6 in Barnstaple
Royal & Fortescue Hotel
Royal & Fortescue Hotel
#5 of 6 in Barnstaple

Been to Saunton Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!