Riviera Bay Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK
US$102
  • Breakfast included
US$370
1,245 results
All reviewssoft play areaflexi dinesea viewentertainment teamevening entertainmentgreat holidaygreat entertainmentbit datedcoastal walkfamily holidayshort breakberry headbowlingarcadetarabaycarvery
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The shalets in this place need to be knocked down and re built. We stayed in a silver shalet. The carpets are disgusting and smell of urine and mold and god knows what else. Beds were rubbish. Other half had to sleep in sofa as main bed had such a dip in the centre. Spent the whole time cringing and gagging at the place and not wanting kids to touch anything. We spent as much time out and about as possible. Would not stay here again. Pool was ok. While place is full if signs saying 'this area is very slippery when wet'. Was worried kids would get injured. Why not change the dangerous surfaces to non slip?! Parking was up a steep incline we had to struggle up and down each day. Lesson learned and we are staying away from all holiday parks in future.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Ladytko
ParkHolidaysUK, General Manager at Riviera Bay Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

I am sorry that your experience at Riviera Bay was not a pleasant one and that the accommodation did not meet your expectations. We take the safety of our guests seriously and because of part of the park being on the side of a steep slope, warning signs are in place to make our guests aware. I am sorry that holiday parks are not your type of holiday but hope you will enjoy yourselves in the future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have just returned from a week long stay at Riviera Bay. The site itself is in a beautiful location on the cliff top. We had been here some 8 years ago and stayed in a silver chalet which was clean and acceptable. So paid extra for a silver plus chalet with sea view (the best chalet on offer), expecting a fairly good standard (you never expect luxury in these places). When we arrived we were greeted with a dirty, outdated, uninviting chalet. There was a layer of dust over the table, a collection of dead flies in the light fightings in the bathroom, crumbs all over the kitchen floor, the skirting board in the kitchen was held together with masking tape, all the cutlery needed cleaning, dirty curtains (paint all over them), filthy carpets (I have a 10 month old and was not happy with her crawling around on these carpets). The window frames were filthy and covered in mildew on the inside, the wardrobes were filthy. The paint was chipped all over the place and the whole chalet smelt musty. When we complained we were met with what was bordering on aggression from the "customer service" manager who basically said, it is what it is, what do you want me to do about it?! We were offered a silver caravan at a sister park but if we were in silver plus accommodation, and it was as awful as it was, didn't really want to drop to a silver so we declined. The manager then offered to CHANGE THE CARPETS!!!! in the chalet! You don't expect to come on holiday and have the carpets changed in your accommodation! Fair enough they were trying to help but there should be no need! We either had to stay and put up with it or leave and disappoint our 3 children which we didn't want to do. So we stayed, and the cleaning team came in the next day and cleaned the carpet, however, the rest of the issues remained. We didn't feel clean the whole holiday and I was glad to get home and have a shower in my nice clean bathroom in my nice clean house! This uncleanliness was the same throughout the park with the laundrette being especially gross. there was a sock on the floor in there which remained there for the whole of our stay! Its a shame as at the setting is lovely and (with the exception of the customer services manager) the staff can't do enough for you. My other gripe was that the microwaves in the chalets do not fit a standard bottle steriliser meaning I had to cart mine up to the kitchen every day to get my babies bottles sterilised. Not only was this a complete inconvenience, I also didn't like the idea of handing my babies bottles over to be entrusted to someone else! Not good for a park geared towards families! Many other reviews on here complain about the accommodation so its about time you took notice Riviera Bay! its a real shame as we loved the setting and it could be so much better but its neglected, old and dirty. The only way to improve these chalets is to pull them down and start again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Missusfreeman

Firstly, I would like to apologise if the silver plus sea view chalets did not meet your expectations. These chalets were refurbished during the winter and included new carpets throughout therefore your comments concerning the carpets were a complete surprise and therefore the only way we felt the matter could be resolved was to change the carpets. If problems do arise we endeavour to resolve them to our guests complete satisfaction, therefore, if alternative accommodation is not available we will do everything in our power to help. I am very sorry if you felt the staff were aggressive as this certainly is not the manner in which they would intentionally wish to be portrayed, and I'm sure it was not their intention to cause any upset. We were under the impression that all the issues had been dealt with to your satisfaction therefore some of your feedback does come as a shock.
Once again I am sorry that the accommodation at Riviera Bay did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

When we booked this holiday park we were not expecting 5* accommodation but we were expecting a basic chalet with a good standard of cleanliness which they were not. When we arrived in the chalet there was a really horrid smell of urine and musty smell throughout. The kitchen had a broken kickboard lying on the floor under the sink which didn't help the smell and rusty nails were just left on the floor also. This was not safe with a toddler in tow. The curtains were falling of the rails, bird poo covered the windows and paint was peeling of everywhere. The beds were probably about as old as the chalets as every mattress was gone and we couldn't have slept on them. We were shown another chalet which was marginally better but still was not acceptable. Management were good and refunded our money there and then and we stayed elsewhere.
I appreciate the park is old as stated by management but basic maintenance is desperately needed if these chalets are to be of an acceptable standard for people to stay in.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank MichelleDix

I am sorry that Riviera Bay did not meet your expectations as a holiday destination. Over winter we have invested in new beds and mattresses and again as they are so many units, this is a rolling programme. Riviera Bay is a very popular park with many of our guests returning year after year, therefore alternative accommodation is not always available. In individual circumstances if the park is not suitable we will refund the money however we would rather resolve the issue on park so the quality of the holiday is restored as quickly as possible as refunded straightaway is not normal procedure.
Once again I apologise for Riviera not being suitable but hope you did enjoy your stay in Devon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We have visited park 5 years ago since then there are no improvements to accommodations or facilities. I think if run park this site you need constantly improve thing to make people come back. We are not planning to com back there, shame it's really good location.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank pmichalski_cc

I'm sorry to read that you will not be coming back to Riviera Bay. Although the chalets are an older more traditional style of accommodation, we do ensure that we refurbish them throughout the winter months. As there are so many units this is a rolling programme and many hours of hard work and effort have gone into improving the decor within the Silver plus units this year. Although the facilities are well established I do believe that they offer far more than many of the parks in the local area and am sorry that they do not meet your requirements.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Had 2 or 3 holidays here per year either myself or partner booked. Last one was so bad in a chalet with megga uncomfortable beds we had to have a night B & B to get a nights sleep. When my partner wrote a review (first bad one) was told by Managment he was ranting, what a way to treat your customers. He is terminally ill with lung cancer and we didnt appreciate comments made. Lodge is fantastic, beautiful weather, lovely comfortable bed with on suite, great kitchen with American style fridge, nice decking so you could enjoy the sunshine. We will never book a chalet again at Riviera Bay after this luxury. Trip advisor reviews tell truth, Riviera Bay ones are cherry picked so you only see good ones.
We had breakfast and evening meal in restaurant food good as always, great friendly service from Kelly as usual nice to see familiar faces. Entertainment good, nice to see Becky back again, Andy Pandy was great bet there wasnt a dry eye through laughing.

Room Tip: Pay extra book a Lodge or Platinum Chalet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jean R

Thank you for your review of Riviera Bay, I am please to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the lodge to meet your expectations. I am sorry to read of your disappointment with the chalets, although they are older more traditional style of accommodation we do try to ensure they are clean and checked prior to your arrival. Its great that you used the facilities and enjoyed the entertainment and because of this, I do hope you will visit us again.