“A lovely historic place”

The Berry Head Hotel
Ranked #43 of 105 Restaurants in Brixham
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, View
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“A lovely historic place”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had a wonderful peaceful walk from Brixham to the Berry Head Hotel The views along the way are unbelievably beautiful. The Hotel itself is a nice place with lots of history. We had a very nice light lunch there. Not badly priced and the staff were friendly.

Visited May 2014

Torquay, England, United Kingdom
“80TH BIRTHDAY SPOILT 26 April 2014”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

On arrival i enquired if i could open a drinks tab ,so guests of the party could get drinks from the bar , i was told NO.
We had hired a separate part of the restaurant for our Party Lunch it was spacious , the table had been put in a long row , when we had specifically asked for a square seating plan, for which there was plenty of room.
I would like to point out that the waiting staff on an individual basis where pleasant happy and helpful.
To the meal, we had supplied a list of the meals a week in advance , the list was comprehensive with names steak preferences etc etc..
I had fish and chips, it was OK my Dad who's birthday it was had very STRINGY steak as did other guests, My parents meal arrived approx 17 minutes after mine, the vegetables at both ends of the table where hard and cool , 2 people had noodles and they where hard.
The fact that the staff had notice of the food and served the birthday guest last was terrible.
When one of the steaks was bought out to the table the waitress called out ...MEDIUM STEAK.....sirloin ? Rump ? no clue....my brother said . "i will take it" ......she replied, "you will have to".
When I went to one side to talk with the duty restaurant manager about the problems I was given excuse after excuse almost making me feel at fault, we where given coffee n preseco as an apology . I was not happy about that. On the following Monday i called and spoke with the owner. I will give an example of our conversation.
Me " the veg was hard and cool"
Him " we can check that that was the case because we probe the food.
Me" the nearly 17 minute gap between meals was to long "
Him " we can check that because it is all recorded.
Not a presumption that the guest is correct and an apology !!!!
To sum up.

The table was not arranged as we had requested.
The food came out far to slowly.
The birthday guest and his wife where served LAST.
The Veg was cool and hard.
The noodles where hard .
The steak was stringy.
The management and Owners attitude to our complaint was rubbish.

After spending nearly £500, I thought think least that could be offered to my mum and dad is Lunch on them to prove they can get it right . NOTHING .
Never again and that goes for 30 members of my family

3 Thank RichardMeek C
berryhead, Owner at The Berry Head Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
I am very surprised that you have left this review.
Immediately upon hearing that you were disappointed I telephoned you in order to ascertain what the problems were that you experienced. I was surprised because we had received a number of
very complimentary remarks from other guests and also because a considerable gratuity had been left on departure.
You really gave me little opportunity to respond on the telephone. Indeed your opening remark was
to refer to Trip Advisor.
I thought we had reached a compromise when you said that you would email me a breakdown
of the points you wished to make so that I might respond to them. This e mail never arrived.

we make a considerable effort to ensure that anyone visiting our establishment are well looked after. On the rare occasion that problems might occur we take it very seriously and feel it personally.

There are some points here that need some clarification:
1) You were not the organiser of the event. No arrangements had been made by the organiser for an open drinks tab to be run.
2) We did indeed have a table plan agreed and the information agreed was that it would be a block oblong table.
3) The private room was not hired. It was complimentary
4) Whilst we had a pre order of food we were not provided with a full plan showing who was sitting where which does cause some problem in the service delivery.
5) The menu served was a selection from our brasserie menu and consisted of a number of different dishes. It would not be possible to serve or indeed send such a selection from the Kitchen in the 3 or 4 minutes that you required it in for 25 people. This could have been achieved had the event been served as a function with a more limited menu.

I apologise without question if the steak was stringy.... we rarely have problems with our steak
but of course it can happen unfortunately.

Problems can occur in any organisation. Such matters can usually be addressed. Our only focus in business is our customers and has been throughout the 20 years we have been here. In the majority of instances our customers are very happy with their experience which is borne out by the
many who return week in week out.

On this occasion you gave me no opportunity to try to make amends in any way which I think is unfortunate.It is evident that you were not happy....and for this I would reiterate my apologies.
Brixham, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have often been to this restaurant with friends and family but the prices have gone up and there was less food on the plate. I went Christmas Night and for Boxing Day carvery which was lovely. I have always gone there with my Sister and Brother in Law for a treat but after finding it so expensive we will now only go for coffee. We still love the stunning views and the atmosphere but cannot afford to eat there anymore.

• Visited April 2014
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Easter break”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

A lovely Easter break. The rooms are lovely and the view is amazing. Food was delicious and the staff couldn't do enough. Dog friendly.

1 Thank Amanda B
Torquay, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“VERY disappointed”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Been recommended to berry head for a swim and some food, I was pregnant at the time and told the pool was warm here, on the day we went the pool was freezing! Was out after 10 minutes.

We went in for food after, we went to the bar to order and the girls behind the bar were chatting looked at us and carried on talking for 10 minutes so as you can imagine I wasn't impressed by that at all , very rude. The food was ok, it was more the rude and unhelpful staff that made me not want to return again! ... I ordered panini and chips and my mum order jacket potato. The food arrive apart from my chips, so I started on my panini after asking the waitress if she could chase were my chips we're for her to not come back, 25 minutes later I had finished my panini and then asked a waiter to chase them up again and still no response 10 mins later!

I then went to reception and ask to speak to a manger, I explained to her what had happened , all I got was she was sorry nothing more. I wasn't impressed that I wasn't offered my money back for my chips and to be Honest it's not the money that bothers me it's the fact nothing was done to try and keep us happy so we would come back again.

I would never return here again and it's a Shame because it's a lovely view and area and could have so much potential

• Visited September 2013
berryhead, Manager at The Berry Head Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear JLSB18
I am very sorry you did not enjoy your visit in September last year, it is rather difficult for me to comment at this late stage. I think however you might have us confused with somewhere else, We do not serve Paninis and last served them in 2012, and do not have jacket potatoes on our menu. our pool is held at a tropical 32 degrees and rarely fluctuates more than a degree either way. if there was a technical problem with it at the time and I'm afraid I cannot remember I apologise profusely. we would love to welcome you back to try the pool again the temperature today is 32.5 degrees (90f) kind regards
Edward Bence