“Back yet again!!”

Ranked #44 of 111 Restaurants in Brixham
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We can only state once again that the service,food,surroundings,comfort and views from the terrace on a very hot sunny day were excellant as is expected of this great hotel!!!
Back again soonest,if weather permits!!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

This magnificent hotel sits at the top of the hill outside Brixham on the way to Berry Head. It was originally built as a hospital and convalescent home for the armed forces and is where Rev Lyte was inspired to write the hymn "Abide with me". So apart from being able to enjoy a light meal, a sumptuous dinner or just a drink, you can also dine in historic style! The hotel is open to non-residents and has an extensive lunch menu. The fish assiette is a favourite of mine. The service is good and relatively speedy. There are fab views from the terraced gardens.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had a wonderful peaceful walk from Brixham to the Berry Head Hotel The views along the way are unbelievably beautiful. The Hotel itself is a nice place with lots of history. We had a very nice light lunch there. Not badly priced and the staff were friendly.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

On arrival i enquired if i could open a drinks tab ,so guests of the party could get drinks from the bar , i was told NO.
We had hired a separate part of the restaurant for our Party Lunch it was spacious , the table had been put in a long row , when we had specifically asked for a square seating plan, for which there was plenty of room.
I would like to point out that the waiting staff on an individual basis where pleasant happy and helpful.
To the meal, we had supplied a list of the meals a week in advance , the list was comprehensive with names steak preferences etc etc..
I had fish and chips, it was OK my Dad who's birthday it was had very STRINGY steak as did other guests, My parents meal arrived approx 17 minutes after mine, the vegetables at both ends of the table where hard and cool , 2 people had noodles and they where hard.
The fact that the staff had notice of the food and served the birthday guest last was terrible.
When one of the steaks was bought out to the table the waitress called out ...MEDIUM STEAK.....sirloin ? Rump ? no clue....my brother said . "i will take it" ......she replied, "you will have to".
When I went to one side to talk with the duty restaurant manager about the problems I was given excuse after excuse almost making me feel at fault, we where given coffee n preseco as an apology . I was not happy about that. On the following Monday i called and spoke with the owner. I will give an example of our conversation.
Me " the veg was hard and cool"
Him " we can check that that was the case because we probe the food.
Me" the nearly 17 minute gap between meals was to long "
Him " we can check that because it is all recorded.
Not a presumption that the guest is correct and an apology !!!!
To sum up.

The table was not arranged as we had requested.
The food came out far to slowly.
The birthday guest and his wife where served LAST.
The Veg was cool and hard.
The noodles where hard .
The steak was stringy.
The management and Owners attitude to our complaint was rubbish.

After spending nearly £500, I thought think least that could be offered to my mum and dad is Lunch on them to prove they can get it right . NOTHING .
Never again and that goes for 30 members of my family

3  Thank RichardMeek C
berryhead, Owner at The Berry Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

I am very surprised that you have left this review.
Immediately upon hearing that you were disappointed I telephoned you in order to ascertain what the problems were that you experienced. I was surprised because we had received a number of
very complimentary remarks from other guests and also because a considerable gratuity had been left on departure.
You really gave me little opportunity to respond on the telephone. Indeed your opening remark was
to refer to Trip Advisor.
I thought we had reached a compromise when you said that you would email me a breakdown
of the points you wished to make so that I might respond to them. This e mail never arrived.

we make a considerable effort to ensure that anyone visiting our establishment are well looked after. On the rare occasion that problems might occur we take it very seriously and feel it personally.

There are some points here that need some clarification:
1) You were not the organiser of the event. No arrangements had been made by the organiser for an open drinks tab to be run.
2) We did indeed have a table plan agreed and the information agreed was that it would be a block oblong table.
3) The private room was not hired. It was complimentary
4) Whilst we had a pre order of food we were not provided with a full plan showing who was sitting where which does cause some problem in the service delivery.
5) The menu served was a selection from our brasserie menu and consisted of a number of different dishes. It would not be possible to serve or indeed send such a selection from the Kitchen in the 3 or 4 minutes that you required it in for 25 people. This could have been achieved had the event been served as a function with a more limited menu.

I apologise without question if the steak was stringy.... we rarely have problems with our steak
but of course it can happen unfortunately.

Problems can occur in any organisation. Such matters can usually be addressed. Our only focus in business is our customers and has been throughout the 20 years we have been here. In the majority of instances our customers are very happy with their experience which is borne out by the
many who return week in week out.

On this occasion you gave me no opportunity to try to make amends in any way which I think is unfortunate.It is evident that you were not happy....and for this I would reiterate my apologies.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have often been to this restaurant with friends and family but the prices have gone up and there was less food on the plate. I went Christmas Night and for Boxing Day carvery which was lovely. I have always gone there with my Sister and Brother in Law for a treat but after finding it so expensive we will now only go for coffee. We still love the stunning views and the atmosphere but cannot afford to eat there anymore.