“Nice hotel service a bit slow”

The Berry Head Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brixham
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Stayed at this hotel 3 times on business and each time I have been warmly welcomed back.

Yes the rooms are not great but the views from the rooms are great!

The service was not as good as it always has been but it was really busy on the night I was there as lots of people go to to the hotel for the food.

Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Gilesy0804

Reviewed 29 September 2011

The hotel is lovely but dated, great position, suberb views, staff friendly and good food but..... nice to visit but not to stay overnight. Bedrooms are shabby, dark and small and the beds hard and uncomfortable with dated bathrooms with plastic shower curtains and cheap fittings. Such a shame that the bedroom spoilt our stay and others we spoke to with one couple having to move bedrooms. From what we have been told the first floor is not too bad but beware of the second floor its awful! Never again will we stay here, the worst accommodation we have had to suffer for many years.

Room Tip: As we didnt see a first floor room I could not comment but definitely DO NOT stay on the 2nd floor i...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank freems
Reviewed 27 September 2011

This hotel is very, very dated. The rooms are appallingly small and dated in terms of decor and furnishing. You get 1 room key for 2 people and 1 key for the lift (security), odd when the stairs has no security so why bother with a locking lift. Inconvenient when you constantly have to fined your partner to get to your room.
The only thing good about this hotel is the view of the bay from the terrace but you can get that without being a guest so don't book this hotel for that reason. The management has delusions of grandeur and seem to think that the room rate (double £120 per night/£150 for a family room) is acceptable as is their overpriced menu - it isn't for the standard - far from acceptable. Book anywhere but here as it is just not worth the money this hotel charges.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank MarkMia
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I booked this hotel through Laterooms.com for a bargain price of £55 for a single room. I arrived later the same day and was very pleasantly surprised at how lovely the hotel is and really felt I'd landed on my feet considering my very last minute booking.
The hotel is beautifully situated and is a very attractive building with a lovely terrace overlooking Torbay . Lucinda, the receptionist on duty, was very friendly and gave me a double room instead of a single and offered assistance with my luggage. The room (and bathroom) was rather dated (there's a bit of an 80s/90s feel to the decor) but clean, comfortable and functional and what you would expect from a family-run English hotel.
I ordered dinner in my room and it was beautifully cooked and presented and the waiter who brought it up was very friendly and even asked me in the corridor the next morning if I had enjoyed it. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful and served in the dining room with the most fabulous sea views.
I decided to extend my stay for another couple of nights and was transferred to a different room, due to their booking arrangements, which was also a double, had a seaview and a much more modern bathroom and Lucinda even gave me the same discounted tariff as the one I had booked online.
Overall I found the hotel to be a thoroughly pleasant place to stay, would definitely stay again and would certainly recommend it to friends. Thank you very much to the staff who made me so welcome.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Frank_Tiger31
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Since getting married in this Hotel some years ago, we have been back to stay many times since and as often as we can. In early August, however, we were camping in Brixham and visited the Hotel for the evening. I became suddenly ill and was taken to Torbay hospital by ambulance and when I was discharged, a very nice young man (the son of the owners of the Berry Head Hotel) came to collect myself and my family from the hospital and due to my illness - gave us all a hotel room for the night until I was well enough to travel home. I cannot thank the lovely people who own and run the hotel enough....they did everything they could to make sure we were well looked after and that I was comfortable - nothing was too much trouble for them. On my arrival home, Mr Eddy Bence even phoned to check on my progress. Berry Head Hotel.......what can I say? I doubt there is a Hotel to compare. You are all AMAZING and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

3  Thank WetleyRocksJake
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We have recently stayed at this hotel for our daughters wedding, at first we was worried when we read some of the reviews of this hotel, and very nearly cancelled. but to be honest it was fantastic, the room was stunning, so much so that we never drew the curtains at night because of the stunning scenery. if anyone wants to have a family wedding please go to the berry hotel venue, it is food glorious food that you get.The only maon i would have is breakfast is a bit rushed, but perhaps thats because we did come down late, and our daughter came down to late the day after her wedding.....i wonder why, but the staff gave her breakfast on the terrace..........how many hotels do that? nothing was to much trouble for the staff on reception even when gifts were dropped off for my daughter they were put nicely in our room. i just want to come back.

Room Tip: room 24 is stunning
5  Thank tinatinks
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We visited the hotel for 2 nights the second was for a wedding held at the hotel. The location can't be beaten our room had the best sea views anywhere. The food served in the bar restaurant was very good, reasonably priced and the menu had a wide selection to meet most tastes - again the views are spectacular. All the staff were very friendly and gave excellent service from reception to the cleaners and bar. The room was of a good standard well cleaned and laid out. If there is any downside it is that some of the decor is a bit faded but that does not matter to me if all else is first class and it is here. The reception was excellent as all the food came out in one go and was hot. It was also very good. They made sure they had sufficient staff so that on one was kept waiting. I would recommend this hotel to anyone for a holiday, just a meal or drink - or for a wedding reception it is outstanding. We will be visiting again I am sure.

2  Thank rofi50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brixham
Quayside Hotel
Royal Castle Hotel
Royal Castle Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dartmouth
Travelodge Paignton Seafront

Been to The Berry Head Hotel? Share your experiences!