“A Family Swim that Never Happened!”

The Berry Head Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brixham
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We are local to the area and before I had my own children I would take my teenage neice and nephew swimming at the Berry Head regularly, at £4 per head for such a small pool it was a bit pricey but nice and quiet so worth it. I was looking forward to taking my 10 month old twins for a dip and thought that like most hotels I have been to and indeed most swimming areas that there would be a concession for children under 3 years of age. Imagine my shock when I called up to check only to be told that babies are charged the price of an adult to use the pool!

I have no issues with the Berry Head Hotel itself but it seems more than a little cheeky to charge so much even if the guest is a non-resident. I don't think I will be coming for a swim anytime soon!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
berryhead, Manager at The Berry Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you for your review.
We have charged the same price for seven years in our pool without increase, and always charged the same for babies due to them having the same cost to us in terms of demand on chemicals etc, however I understand your point that many places charge less for youngsters therefore from now on children under 12 are charged at a pound below the adult price. Thankyou for commenting because without comments like yours we cannot improve !
we look forward to welcoming you back

There are newer reviews for The Berry Head Hotel

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Just spent a fantastic week at the hotel. Got married on Wednesday and cannot praise the staff enough for the way we were looked after
Nothing was too much trouble from them on the day and Edward the assistant manager was fantastic even joining in by singing for us on the day

The food was excellent all week
but on the wedding day outstanding

Thanks everyone at the hotel for making our week and more importantly the wedding day very special

Dave @ Lisa x

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank daftbatBoston

Dear Dave and Lisa
Thank you so much for spending your special day with us. It was a pleasure to look after you and I personally had a lot of fun with your wedding party, I don't normally end up singing !
it will be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Went to a wedding at this hotel at the end of August 2013. It was a fantastic event made perfect by excellent weather and very empathetic Registrar.
The hotel grounds are beautiful and perfectly suited for such an event with superb views across Torbay with ongoing boat movements on the water, both leisure and commercial as Brixham is a very busy fishing port.
We were provided with a fish BBQ which perfectly reflected the local economy and this was excellent. The staff were unobtrusive and yet very attentivew, and the organisation of getting 50+ guests to join a queue to get their food without any lengthy waiting was seamless.
Apart from the hotel's efforts, the evening entertainment by the live band was out of this world which helped to make the event so memorable - as was the unidvited fly past by an Air Sea Rescue helicopter - who was that winchman waving so heartily?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SDevonNo7

Thank you so much for your review it means so much to all of us ! I am glad that you enjoyed the BBQ we certainly had the weather for it this summer. We look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We were looking forward to a pre booked Sunday birthday lunch here but, although the food was ok, the service was terrible.
We finally aborted at 3 .30 without having our table cleared or offered a dessert or coffee.
The staff were very offhand and, in one instance, actually rude. This senior member of the dining staff attempted to fill a water glass from across the table (completely unnecessarily) and splashed it all over the table when the ice tumbled out, narrowly missing my lap. Not a single word of apology. He merely picked up my napkin and made a token attempt of mopping up and when the paper was soaked, he left the table drenched. Not impressed!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review it means a lot to us as it always helps us to improve. I am glad you enjoyed the food. I apologise for the manner in which a member of staff came across, we have dealt with this situation and on no occasion should a member of staff behave in this way. I hope it has not put you off returning because there are some lovely people on our team. I am so sorry that this was not the experience you had.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Nice hotel, wonderful sea views from most rooms and gardens. Very pleasant helpful staff. Rooms on the second floor are small bur quite adequate for a short stay. Food very good. We stayed Thursday and Friday evenings, Thursday was fine but on Friday there were 2 functions, one was in the dedicated function suite which was no problem but there other, a wedding, took over all the hotel public rooms, except the restaurant. The result was a very noisy chaotic evening.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank a c

Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed the Hotel. We do indeed do weddings, usually they are looked after in a seperate area of the hotel which is complete with its own facilities. I am sorry that on this occasion there was a conflict of interests, I hope it wasn't of too much inconvenience. We look forward to welcoming you back and are happy to advise on any functions taking place.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I have visited The Berry Head Hotel dozens of times over the years for lunch and drinks. The views are spectacular, the food is very nice and the service efficient. The inside of the hotel is a little twee, but it is outside where the hotel excels. There are breathtaking views of Torbay and it really has the best panorama of any establishment in Torbay. The food has always been very good and reasonably priced. I ate a prawn sandwich and some chips for my lunch and it was delicious. When it gets busy the service can be a little fraught, which is only to be expected when it is packed with guests and visitors. The only thing i would say is ditch the metal garden furniture, it really isn't that comfortable. I know it is a little more hard wearing than your previous wooden furniture, but it really is a lot less comfortable. Perhaps invest in some of this en vogue cane furniture.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Simon C

Thank you for your review ! we are so glad you enjoyed yourself.
We have tried the Rattan furniture outside on our balconies but have yet to find anything heavy enough. I have seen chairs literally fly over the cliff in strong winds. but maybe some cushions might be of help we will certainly look into this for next summer please feel free to let us know if you have any thoughts.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We were at the Berry Head Hotel over a three day period in the middle of August to mark our 50th Wedding Anniversary, which included our celebration meal in the Mulberry Room on the Sunday. Almost all our 50-odd guests stayed at the hotel, ranging in ages from 4 months to pensioners, and all thoroughly enjoyed themselves. The staff were forever friendly and helpful, even to the point of hiring out bathing towels (at a £1 a time) to use in the off-premises sea water swimming pool situated a 5 minute walk away. The same towels were quietly collected from our room the following day.
The indoor pool was a bonus on the one day of bad weather when all the children and their parents spent a merry time playing together.
Our meal in the Mulberry Room was meticulously prepared and discretely catered for some special dietary needs in the family. Adjoining this room was the lovely walled garden, with its aged mulberry tree, into which our guests were free to roam.
Add to this the spacious terraces with spectacular views of Torbay and the many inside meeting spaces for guests to sit and chat or perhaps read the paper in the Library.
We will certainly be returning.

Room Tip: Have one with a balcony if you can. Sunrise and sunset across the bay are spectacular and well wor...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Derekmuso

Thank you so much for your lovely review, Being a family run hotel it means so much to us and our staff to hear comments like these.
Edward Bence

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brixham
Quayside Hotel
#1 of 17 in Paignton
Langstone Cliff Hotel
Langstone Cliff Hotel
#1 of 3 in Dawlish

Been to The Berry Head Hotel? Share your experiences!