The Berry Head Hotel
  • Breakfast included
US$370
Berry Hotel(Paignton)
US$102
All reviewsberry headmulberry roomsunday lunchchristmas partyresidents loungelovely lunchfish piewindow tablesea view roomsunny daystunning viewsfriendly hotelshort breakbrixham harbourbrasserieedwardlucinda
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 September 2013

If you want rugged coastline, coastal walks, picturesque harbour and a fantastic view from a sunny terrace with your G &T, then this is the place for you!
The Berry Head Hotel is beautiful, perfectly located close enough to walk to Brixham harbour with numerous places to eat at lunchtime, then stroll back along the coast path for a pre-dinner drink on the lovely terrace looking across the bay to Torquay, the view is stunning. Or you can hike up to Berry Head itself to walk off your breakfast, where you can see the coastline the other way, the cliffs are spectacular.

The restaurant has the same view as the terrace, breakfast is excellent, great choice all beautifully cooked, as is the dinner menu, all food is fresh and tasty, my only criticism is the restaurant lacks atmosphere in the evening, lights a little too bright, maybe some candles and a few lamps for a more subtle feel.

The Staff at the hotel are lovely, they are all very busy and efficient but still have time for a friendly chat. (Special mention for Debbie, Ann, Victoria, Ken and Paul in the bar).
Our room was a little compact and had no view, but then we only booked a couple of days before we went. It was bright, clean and comfy.

The pool is not huge, but nice for a dip before dinner, or a jaccuzzi to ease your aching muscles after your hike.

We had a really good weekend. Thank you . Sue & Jerry xx

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue W
berryhead, Manager at The Berry Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you so much for your review I am so glad that you enjoyed the hotel and I agree that the lighting in the restaurant is a little bright it is due to us "going Green" and changing to the energy saving lamps which we could not dim. thankfully we have been working on it and have found a dimmable lamp now and certainly should have candles lit so hopefully when we welcome you back this will be improved!
kind regards

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We are local to the area and before I had my own children I would take my teenage neice and nephew swimming at the Berry Head regularly, at £4 per head for such a small pool it was a bit pricey but nice and quiet so worth it. I was looking forward to taking my 10 month old twins for a dip and thought that like most hotels I have been to and indeed most swimming areas that there would be a concession for children under 3 years of age. Imagine my shock when I called up to check only to be told that babies are charged the price of an adult to use the pool!

I have no issues with the Berry Head Hotel itself but it seems more than a little cheeky to charge so much even if the guest is a non-resident. I don't think I will be coming for a swim anytime soon!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.
We have charged the same price for seven years in our pool without increase, and always charged the same for babies due to them having the same cost to us in terms of demand on chemicals etc, however I understand your point that many places charge less for youngsters therefore from now on children under 12 are charged at a pound below the adult price. Thankyou for commenting because without comments like yours we cannot improve !
we look forward to welcoming you back
Kind Regards

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Just spent a fantastic week at the hotel. Got married on Wednesday and cannot praise the staff enough for the way we were looked after
Nothing was too much trouble from them on the day and Edward the assistant manager was fantastic even joining in by singing for us on the day

The food was excellent all week
but on the wedding day outstanding

Thanks everyone at the hotel for making our week and more importantly the wedding day very special

Dave @ Lisa x

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank daftbatBoston

Dear Dave and Lisa
Thank you so much for spending your special day with us. It was a pleasure to look after you and I personally had a lot of fun with your wedding party, I don't normally end up singing !
it will be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Went to a wedding at this hotel at the end of August 2013. It was a fantastic event made perfect by excellent weather and very empathetic Registrar.
The hotel grounds are beautiful and perfectly suited for such an event with superb views across Torbay with ongoing boat movements on the water, both leisure and commercial as Brixham is a very busy fishing port.
We were provided with a fish BBQ which perfectly reflected the local economy and this was excellent. The staff were unobtrusive and yet very attentivew, and the organisation of getting 50+ guests to join a queue to get their food without any lengthy waiting was seamless.
Apart from the hotel's efforts, the evening entertainment by the live band was out of this world which helped to make the event so memorable - as was the unidvited fly past by an Air Sea Rescue helicopter - who was that winchman waving so heartily?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SDevonNo7

Thank you so much for your review it means so much to all of us ! I am glad that you enjoyed the BBQ we certainly had the weather for it this summer. We look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We were looking forward to a pre booked Sunday birthday lunch here but, although the food was ok, the service was terrible.
We finally aborted at 3 .30 without having our table cleared or offered a dessert or coffee.
The staff were very offhand and, in one instance, actually rude. This senior member of the dining staff attempted to fill a water glass from across the table (completely unnecessarily) and splashed it all over the table when the ice tumbled out, narrowly missing my lap. Not a single word of apology. He merely picked up my napkin and made a token attempt of mopping up and when the paper was soaked, he left the table drenched. Not impressed!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review it means a lot to us as it always helps us to improve. I am glad you enjoyed the food. I apologise for the manner in which a member of staff came across, we have dealt with this situation and on no occasion should a member of staff behave in this way. I hope it has not put you off returning because there are some lovely people on our team. I am so sorry that this was not the experience you had.