“Beautiful position, clean and friendly”

The Berry Head Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brixham
Warwickshire
“Beautiful position, clean and friendly”
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Beautiful 200 year old building with all the appeal of a bygone age. The food is very good but not to everyones taste. I am a fussy eater (certain foods disagree with me) but I found something to enjoy on the menu each evening. The hotel is spotlessly clean (or was when we were there) and the staff were friendly and helpful. We have stayed here before and will go back. The only problem we found was nothing to do with the Hotel more with some of the guests who had a limited use of the English lanuage without using expletives.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
uk
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I could not agree more with some of the reviewer here. We have stayed at this hotel twice now - four years ago and last year. We cannot fault the food - enjoyed it every time, breakfast and dinner. But we do agree with some of the other reviewers - staff have sometimes shown bad attitude problems - waitress once told us to hurry up and order! HOW RUDE.....this is very bad customer service. Most shockingly though was the response we got from management when we raised the matter to her - she looked at us and spoke to us like it was our fault and then she just walked off!!! Most abrupt woman! No apology was given. This is very bad hospitality - we are paying to stay at your hotel - its not free!! Website states this hotel is warm, friendly,and professional - I think not!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank ukconqueror
berryhead, General Manager at The Berry Head Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2010
We are always concerned to learn if a guest has a bad experience at the hotel. As a small, family business we endeavour to builsd a very close relationship with our guests as it is vital to us to learn of any problems immediately in order that we can address them, and learn from them.
What does concern us particularly though is when reviews arrive after a long period of time. In this case, over a year ago. This offers no opportunity to objectively investigate. If you do have an issue then please, please raise it at the time, not a year later when it cannot help in any constructive manner.
Generally we receive very positive response about our staff and their level of customer care as is demonstrated elsewhere here.
Our aim is to satisfy our guests requirements and our wish is that they are happy and return.
Suffolk
Reviewed 20 April 2010

If you like dodgy food, cold, shabby bedrooms, decor that's stuck firmly in the 1970s and Richard Clayderman accompanying your tough meat every night, then the Berry Head Hotel is the place for you. For an authentic Fawlty Towers experience, look no further.

Our small double room (Room 29) was cold and draughty, the radiator didn't work but thankfully the convector heater stashed away in the wardrobe did. The lighting was pretty dim, and had I wanted to read my Gideons bible I would have struggled as the bedside lamp gave off hardly any light at all.

I was feeling bored so I decided to count the dead flies resting peacefully in the bathroom light fitting. Had they tried to hide from dinner? I gave up after 12… The coving in the bathroom was coming away from the ceiling and the wall, there was little shelf space for your toiletries and the loo paper had economy written all over it. Still, the sea views were nice.

And so to dinner in the restaurant, with its red and white patterned curtains, its red upholstered (and comfortable) chairs and red patterned carpet. A reddy nightmare the like of which I haven’t seen in a hotel in 30 years (although spotted from time to time in cheap Indian restaurants). My pork was tough, my lamb was tough, my steak was tough, my soup was watery, my lemon tart came complete with chocolate sauce!!, my wife’s fish was dry and overcooked and her fish pie tasteless. Our strawberry charlotte russe disintegrated on contact with a spoon and was inedible – definitely the culinary highlight of our 3-night special offer stay.

I applaud the hotel for insisting on certain standards in the restaurant ie smart casual dress and no mobiles. But, if the table d’hote is £27 a head, why do you have to ask for black pepper? That should come as standard! And one night of Richard Clayderman is surely enough. The music matched the food (laughable), but if they change the menu they should be able to change the tape.

Breakfast was fine, if you don’t mind where the eggs and bacon came from. Wifey wanted to know if the eggs, bacon, sausages were free range, only to be met with the kind of look a man has when his piles have dropped while walking down the street. At least the kitchen was honest in its response – no, the eggs weren’t free range, and neither was the bacon, as it had ‘Packed in Newcastle’ stamped on the packet. Strange, really, that a 3-star hotel that prides itself on its quality food using local produce can’t rustle up a few extra bob for local free range eggs and bacon.

The Berry Head badly needs a lift to cater for its elderly and loyal guests, some of whom enjoy the food. Not just a lift, but a facelift to satisfy the numerous other guests who are seduced by its wonderful views (and they are outstanding) but let down by its shabby, faded décor and comfort, and poor quality food. All in all, what you get is incredibly overpriced.

The building’s most notable occupant was the Rev Henry Francis Lyte, who in the 19th century wrote the hymns Praise My Soul the King of Heaven and Abide With Me. I can’t even praise the hotel’s sole, and I won’t be recommending my friends to abide there.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank BobrSuffolk
I have written at length in response to this review. To summarise it is fair to say that certain aspects of your stay were adversely affected by some lapse in our normal service for which we apologise, and have offered a return visit as our guests.
I would add that there are some misunderstandings.
1) We are a listed building and, we are finding it very difficult to reach agreement with planners for the addition of a lift. We have an application currently pending.
2) We make no apology for the fact that the style of decor is traditional (as opposed to 'old fashioned') This is a 200 year old listed building of historical significance and it is our choice to
present it as such. A fact that is appreciated by the vast majority of our guests. In addition, it is true that we do not have particularly large bedrooms however they do comply with the requirements for our rating. We are likewise unable to do anything about this due to planning constraints. This is a unique, historical building a fact that is generally much appreciated.
Fordingbridge, Hampshire
Reviewed 24 February 2010

We were in need of simply getting away for a couple of nights and chose the Berry Head Hotel initially for its location and tempting special offer (two night break, Dinner B & B). We arrived in the rain and were met by extremely friendly and efficient staff. We could not fault the service, the lovely room on the top floor over looking the bay or the exceptional quality of the food which was served piping hot by polite staff. We used the swimming pool facilities in the evening which were very good (towels provided by the hotel), followed by a pre-dinner drink in the bar, dinner in the restaurant and coffee in the library sitting by the open fire. The hotel is very nicely decorated, is surrounded by lovely wildlife and walks and only a couple of minutes drive from the busy town of Brixham. I would highly recommend this hotel and will revisit.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SPSA
Mar.borough, Wiltshire
Reviewed 5 February 2010

The staff are warm and friendly, I must mention Leigh (reception) and Mark (waiter), they went the 'extra mile'. Food is very good, the breakfast excellent. The hotel went out of its way to accommodate us. It is fantastic hotel and in a beautiful area of Brixham, great for walking and sightseeing. We was dissapointed with how our mentioning the fact the hoover was used in the bar during our breakfast (there was others in the bar as well!) on the last day. Someone decided the corner of the bar 'needed blitzing' (their words). I know running a hotel is a 24 hour job, but a) it should have been cleaned properly in the first place and b) it was not essential cleaning i.e. something spilt, and could have been targeted for the next morning. When mentioning this at the reception we were not offered an apology that our breakfast was ruined, but the duty manager proceeded to argue. It is a shame as an apology would have sufficed. Small things mean a lot in customer service. However, on a good note, we have stayed at The Grand and The Imperial in Torquay and this hotel beats both. PS. the beds need bigger quilts as when turning over all kind of body parts are exposed to the elements.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kjw50
Banbury
Reviewed 2 February 2010

I feel sorry for people who have nothing better to do than make a hobby of writing epic complaints about trivial inconveniences. I shudder to think how they would cope in a real crisis. I returned from Brixham yesterday having spent a night with my friend at the Berry Head Hotel and its fair to say, we both left reluctantly and almost turned the car around to book an extra night. It's not very often you can turn up at a venue on a 'spur of the moment' whim to be greeted by extremely polite/helpful staff, a very clean and comfortable hotel with a location that just about tops anywhere I've stayed and what great value. To surmise our weekend - perfection and that was mostly down to the hospitality revceived at the Berry Head. To all involved with with the running of this magnificnet place, give yourselves a well deserved pat on the back. We will be back as soon as we can :o)
Shirley & Matt

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shrilly73
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2009

We try to squeeze as many long weekends at the Berry Head Hotel as we possibly can. Helpful staff who go out of their way to please, great food, lovely rooms and a relaxing atmosphere....................just feels like home from home.................oh! p.s. did I mention the view? You have to visit to believe it!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laketravellersSurrey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brixham
Quayside Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,661 reviews
Beacon House B&B
Beacon House B&B
#1 of 25 in Brixham

Been to The Berry Head Hotel? Share your experiences!