“Awful catch of the day!”

Sprat and Mackerel Inn
Ranked #70 of 108 Restaurants in Brixham
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located on Brixham's historic quayside, with outdoor seating with a fantastic view of the harbour. Open for Bar and dining, With exiting food menus to suit every palette.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Awful catch of the day!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

It took 45 minutes to arrive and then the real regret began. It was an indeterminate white fish that seemed part cooked on the top side but a slimy consistency below. The chips were similarly slimy and soggy. All for £9.95. We shall not return.

• Visited June 2014

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Disappointing food, rude owners - go elsewhere”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I want to start by saying that this is the first bad review I have ever left.

We have visited this pub on previous stays in Brixham so it was with great anticipation that we returned again this year on the first night of our holiday.

It was immediately obvious that the menu had changed. No famous Brixham fish chowder served in a cottage loaf to be seen anywhere. There was fish pie though, so I settled for that. The food we ordered came out far too quickly to be freshly cooked and it was clear that it had been microwaved. The presentation of the food ordered by my partner and his daughters was also poor.

I started to eat the fish pie and found that it was not heated through properly. I sent it back and it reappeared minutes later having been nuked again. I put my fork into a different part and found that it was still luke warm. I decided not to eat it, not wishing to risk eating fish that had been reheated twice. The waitress came over and asked if it was all right. I explained that it was still not hot enough - she did offer to try again but I declined (how many times should you reheat fish?). She apologised and said she would talk to the owner as I hadn't enjoyed my meal. She then advised that they would take it off the bill.

I would have been content to leave it there and not bother writing this review but the owner then came over to me and started to tell me that they had used a thermometer and the food had been heated to 70 degrees. I told her that the part I had put my fork in was no where near this hot. She then proceeded to tell me there was nothing wrong with the food but they wouldn't charge me for it.

I went to pay and the owner then started telling me again that the food was hot enough. By this time I just wanted to leave and go and find some food I could eat so we left.

I would also like to comment that my partner's daughter said her lamb shank was chewy. The food I saw come out was sloppily presented and looked unappetising too.

The customer service was incredibly poor, the food, lack lustre and this previously wonderful pub has gone downhill. I will not be returning and will not be recommending it to anyone.

• Visited June 2014
“Warm Welcome”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We called in for Sunday lunch and a couple of drinks - we had a warm welcome and good bar service from the young lady behind the bar. Menu for Sunday lunch was pretty limited on choice but hey sometimes there's too much on menus! We choose two traditional sunday lunch fare one Lamb and one chicken breast -I had the 'catch of the day' with salad - mine was excellent well cooked simple food - the lamb and Chicken were also very good and came with separate vegetable tray all again we'll cooked and tasty - portion size was generous and we were all full . Very good value would go again

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Michael B
Brixham, United Kingdom
“Catch of the day”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Had lunch here, intended to have a sandwich but were tempted by the fish n chips ( it is Brixham!) the catch of the day was Turbot! Very reasonable price and beautifully cooked.

Visited April 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Flat Beer & Dirty”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

During a recent visit to Brixham we decided to pop into the Sprat & Mackerel for a relaxing drink by the habourside. Although the building is old there is no excuse for dirtiness. Whilst my partner ordered drinks I popped off to the ladies... well what can I say Disgusting, unclean and no locks on the doors. (To be honest the public loos in Brixam are much cleaner). My partner had a lager and I a lager Shandy... both were totally flat. Given the general run down state of the place we decided not to eat lunch at this facility so could not comment on the food.

• Visited May 2014