“fantastic”

Smugglers and Pirates Experience
More attraction details
Owner description: The Smugglers and Pirates Experience is family friendly visitor attraction situated on Brixham's gorgeous harbourside. Let us take you on a journey through 18th Century Brixham where Smuggling was a way of life and pirates ruled the high seas.Can you out run the excise men as they chase Jack and his Smuggling gang, listen to tails of Pirates and there daring deeds, visit the hidden cove and watch out for a ghost or two ...Meet the local friendly reverend who has a fondness for brandy and join in with the search for the gold "Pieces of Eight" hidden away in this wonderful attraction.Fun for all the family and if you have a dog, don't worry they can come to. Afterward all that excitement come and join us for a coffee, lunch or dinner in the Smugglers Retreat Licenced Eatery with wonderful views over the harbour. Open to all whether you have been through our attraction or not, you are most welcome.Gifts for all the family are just waiting for you to buy in our newly refurbished Gift shop and Pirate Emporium. Look out for specials evening events at Smugglers and Pirates Experience and I don't forget if you book your tickets on line you will save money. I
Reviewed 8 August 2014

took the kids after going o the golden hind ship and this topped the lot...it is set up so well...the kidswere loving it(so were we)...room after room, little tunnels...its put together so well......the owners and staff were happy and polite..,.oh...and a great place for a bite to eat and to get a few souvenirs!!

Elizabeth P, General Manager at Smugglers and Pirates Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this review on Trip Advisor.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and do come and see us again , you are most Welcome.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Made a special trip here specifically for the attraction.
Sadly, it was a 45 minute long video story which wasn't even that interesting. You could hear the clatter of the cafe which kind of spoiled the atmosphere. The gift shop was filled with very expensive tat.
Staff were nice enough though.
Could be improved by using actors in place of the video.

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We went in seeing what it has to offer and the experience of a smuggler and history in a visual display well worth the time and money to see

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We visit Brixham every year as have family who live there, I have always avoided going to the Smugglers show but on one rainy day my kids wanted to try it.
£22.00 for a family or should you have their leaflet you get £1.00 off per person (ask for the leaflet)
One family were not given the discount even though the cashier could have easily said "pick up one of those leaflets at the door for a discount", they questioned this later and she said "well sry you didn't show a leaflet when you paid" I thought that was very mean.
They do offer 10% discount in the cafe when you produce your receipt.
The show lasts 20 mins, there is a big timer counting down outside to show when the next show starts.
I did not realise the show was an automated experience and we felt let down by that, we all expected to see real people dressed up inside but were treated to rather boring projections.
There is some interesting factual info given but on the whole we all came out feeling it could be so much more. You move through five rooms I think, with projected characters telling the story of a fictional smuggler and his wife. You can hear the previous rooms projected character in some of the rooms.
If the show was perhaps £10.00 for a family of four then I may have chosen to have a bite to eat in the cafe but we were ready to leave.
I wouldn't recommend taking very young children in as they simply would not understand what’s going on. My kids are 10 & 12.
It’s a one shot thing I doubt many would go back for more.

Reduce the price and have at least one guy or girl dressed up either outside or to interact with the customers inside and I think it could be better.

Thanks

1  Thank SunnyBenfleet
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Smugglers and Pirates Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor, however I would like to point out some errors.
The show does not last 20 minutes as you have stated, it last 1 hour. The countdown clock that you saw with 20 minutes on it is merely an indication that we can let customer into the Experience every 20 minutes, it is not the indicator of show length.
I do remember you as a group and at the time when purchased your tickets you did not produce any of our discounted offer which are available via out leaflets, internet and other publications.
All tickets which are discounted have to have a marketing code applied at the till, without a code no discount can be applied. I remember you asked after your purchase if you could have a discount and we did say that at this late stage we could not but would discount the £4 in our café or shop, you decide not to take us up on this offer.
The content of the show was written by an historian and educational adviser so that if covered all ages and met Key Stages 1 & 2 of the National Curriculum
We regularly host a large school groups from the ages of 5 – 15 and have always had wonderful feedback from both teachers and pupils.
We are sorry that you felt that the attraction was expensive but we spent many days looking at other similar attractions across the country and our prices fall in the bottom to middle area.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The basic price appears not cheap but the actual experience is worth every penny; however if one books for the party night - Monday or Friday through the summer, the price includes a "buffet" and participation with live characters. The few pounds extra are more than worth it. We had a fabulous night out for 5, including food and drink for around £50, you struggle to get fed for that most places. Excellent value for money, and jolly good entertainment Harrr!

1  Thank mosstq3