“As i am confined to a wheelchair we were made so welcome”

Smugglers and Pirates Experience
More attraction details
Owner description: The Smugglers and Pirates Experience is family friendly visitor attraction situated on Brixham's gorgeous harbourside. Let us take you on a journey through 18th Century Brixham where Smuggling was a way of life and pirates ruled the high seas.Can you out run the excise men as they chase Jack and his Smuggling gang, listen to tails of Pirates and there daring deeds, visit the hidden cove and watch out for a ghost or two ...Meet the local friendly reverend who has a fondness for brandy and join in with the search for the gold "Pieces of Eight" hidden away in this wonderful attraction.Fun for all the family and if you have a dog, don't worry they can come to. Afterward all that excitement come and join us for a coffee, lunch or dinner in the Smugglers Retreat Licenced Eatery with wonderful views over the harbour. Open to all whether you have been through our attraction or not, you are most welcome.Gifts for all the family are just waiting for you to buy in our newly refurbished Gift shop and Pirate Emporium. Look out for specials evening events at Smugglers and Pirates Experience and I don't forget if you book your tickets on line you will save money. I
coventry
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“As i am confined to a wheelchair we were made so welcome”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

My wife and I liked the look of the place, but as I am confined to a wheelchair my wife could not make it up the steps, but the doorman offered to push me around the entry at the side and into the wheelchair friendly entrance, and was pushed by the doorman to a vacant table and made comfortable. My wife and I ordered a Devon cream tea, what a delight this was. It was the best Devon cream tea my wife and I have ever had, a hot soft scone, plenty of jam & cream swilled down with a hot cup of tea...DELICIOUS

Visited August 2014
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Smugglers and Pirates Experience, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
I am so glad you enjoyed your visit to our café . We pride ourselves being fully accessible throughout our café, shop and attraction .
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great time for kids”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Kids found this very interesting and the affects were great, could of been abit better if a little longer but on a whole it was great family fun

Visited August 2014
Thank you for the 5 Star Review !
We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.
herts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent ”
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Not what I expected. Better than expected! Kept you interested. It starts with a reverend telling a story about a smuggler don't want to say too much because it will spoil it. Good for all ages we didn't have any children with us who would love it too. But make sure you do not have anyone in your party who is claustrophobic because part of it you will be closed in.

Thank you for our 5 Star Review !
I am so glad that your visit was better than you expected and that you had a great time.
In terms of being claustrophobic , each area has lit emergency exit so you can leave if you feel you need to.
It you do come back and visit us again do make yourself know to a team member and we would be quite happy to accompany you on your trip around the attraction .
“Awful”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We decided to have lunch before the 7 of us looked around the attraction, whilst the menu offered lots of choice and on the face of it it seemed a reasonable price, however, when the meals appeared we were less than impressed. I had to send my salad back as there was a hair in it, and the jacket potatoes were extremely small ( the sort you would use to make chips at home) with very little filling and no butter! We did raise this with a member of staff who at asking us " if everything was ok with the meal' looked like a rabbit caught in the head lights when faced with our issues, her reply to our complaints " there's nothing I can do" , she then left us with our meager meals. A short time later she returned and asked if we would like any coffee! Now we had absolutely no complaints re our drinks and being a hot summer's day why would we want coffee as half of our party were children! To make this a balanced review the sandwich that we ordered for my small child was brilliant value for money with a good amount of filling (less than £4 for a sandwich, crisps and salad) the jacket potatoes however were £5.75 for one filling, with the cheese being ready melted ( presumably to use less cheese) before it arrived at the table 2 slices of cucumber, quarter of tomato and a few lettuce leaves seems rather over priced! With a rather bad taste being left in our mouths over food we didn't want to risk paying any more money for the attraction and more disappointment.

Visited August 2014
Elizabeth P, General Manager at Smugglers and Pirates Experience, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
We thank you for taking the time of write this review however we would just like to correct a number of inaccuracies.
1. The jacket potatoes we serve are 9-11oz and are by no means small.
2. We do melt cheese as this is how are customers normally like it, however we would have been happy to place it on cold should you have asked.
3.We did not say we couldn't do anything about the meals, our restaurant supervisor offered to exchange the meal but you had eaten it ...
4. We did offer you free coffee's at the end .

We pride ourselves on offering good value in both our café and attraction and we served over 150 meals in the day and our restaurant was fully booked for the evening.. I think that speaks for itself.
Devon, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We visited the experience and were not disappointed as part of our family day out to Brixham. The projections and story were both educational and fun. The staff were very polite, the experience has been well thought out with a sense of adventure on the high seas. My five year old son enjoyed it and wanted to do it again once we had finished. It is great value for money, you can pick up a leaflet (we found ours in the cafe) which entitles each party member to money off. After the experience we ate in the cafe, the food was good with an extensive menu and specials board. We received 10% off for the food as we had visited the experience and 10% off a lovely lantern we bought for our son in the gift shop. I would definately recommend visiting this attraction.

1 Thank Catherine B