“Delicious Dosas!”

Ranked #11 of 115 Restaurants in Brixham
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Here we have other fish to fry!
Reviewed 24 April 2016 via mobile

A lovely warm welcome. Lots of helpful guidance given regarding the menu. Most of all, what superb food. We both picked the dosas which were lightly spiced,aromatic and totally delicious. Tripadvisor says this restaurant is closed on Sundays, but it's not!

Reviewed 27 March 2016

After a lengthy shut down for refurbishment it was great to find this fantastic restaurant open again.the food is beautifully prepared and presented with a spicy Asian theme.
service and hospitality is second to none. I really cannot rate highly enough. Give it a try you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 13 November 2015 via mobile

Stunning fish menu! Amazingly fresh.

Enjoyed an Indian fish curry and would recommend you try. Flavours are not overpowering.

Very welcoming, good music and unhurried service.

Drinks very reasonably priced.

Reviewed 19 September 2015

We received a warm welcome and we clearly were very valued as customers. They really wanted to ensure that you chose the right dish for you. The food arrived nicely served and freshly cooked. The starter was a generous portion and delicious. The main course came promptly and again was lovely .We all chose a different dish and we were all delighted. Pudding again was lovely and not too big so you did not feel over full. The house wine was chosen to complement the food which was slightly spicey. My friend is vegetarian and was delighted with her dish. The only problem is they need more customers as we were the only ones. This effects the atmosphere but the food is so good. At the end of our meal the chef came out to ask how we found the food. I will go again. I believe they are going to introduce some deals which I think will be good. They only open the latter end of the week.

Reviewed 15 August 2015

My partner and I have just returned from our meal at Ayur; a dinner that was served promptly (and consumed enthusiastically) but which has left us with a long-lasting impression.

Looking at the entrance to Ayur you would perhaps be forgive for passing by without much consideration, but I urge you to take the trip up the stairs into the restaurant’s dining area.

The ambience of the restaurant is cosy, stylish, and friendly. We were seated by the window, which offers a lovely view of the Brixham high street. If anything could be said against the restaurant it is that it can seem a bit dark, but we were offered a candle to offset this.

The owner of the restaurant served us and she was delightful. It was clear that she was passionate about food and the satisfaction of her customers. Water was offered for free and a lovely looking wine and dinner menu were presented to us.
The appetizers at this restaurant are ordered from a set menu but the main is a bit different.
Upon ordering for the main we were presented with an array of fish choices that could be cooked in a variety of styles. This seasonal approach is very refreshing and allows people to try fish that they might not usually consider.

For the appetizer I chose to have the Ayur chowder, whereas my partner had the crab. My main was fried sea bass. My partner’s was cod and hand cut oven backed chips.
It was upon taking the very first bite of my starter that I knew Ayur’s food was exceptional. The chowder was delicious. It was rich and creamy but also had some sweetness from the date puree. The king fish was bursting with flavour and invigorated my taste buds.

My partner’s crab balls were equally well-received and I sampled a bite. They were exquisite. They offered a different flavour sensation but it was just as delectable. The chief certainly knows how to make a stunning appetizer!

The main course didn’t disappoint either.

At Ayur certain fish is served on the bone so as to preserve the flavour of the fish. This is something I had understood upon ordering but I had never eaten fish in this way before. Doing so did not detract from my dining experience at all and the fried and peppered fish was delectably cooked and beautifully presented.

The chief came out during our meal to make sure the fish wasn’t too spicy for me and to generally see that we were enjoying our meals. Such attentiveness was wonderful (a rare treat, even). Of course he didn’t have any need to worry; his food was consistently exquisite and the flavours were excellently combined

Throughout our meal the owner continued to be a delight too. She was respectful enough to give us space while we were eating or talking but was also willing to engage in pleasant conversation with us. In fact everyone in the restaurant was friendly, welcoming, and generally a joy to be around.

This, combined with the amazing food, makes Ayur a rare treat of a restaurant that should not be overlooked. The menu may be a bit more expensive compared to other places (and the menu more refined) but food and service of such high calibre is something worth paying extra for.

I will definitely being returning to Ayur in the near future and have already recommended it to friends and family.

1  Thank Amy R