“Week-end away in Brixham”
Review of Quayside Hotel

Quayside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brixham
england
“Week-end away in Brixham”
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Could not fault the staff at the hotel, and the food was very good and plenty to eat, but the rooms were very tired and need of total updating.
When first arrived put into a very pokey and dreadfully small room, but saw a member of staff and got transfered to a bigger room.
Overall we had a very nice week-end away in brixham, but would we stay at the hotel again in the future, no not until the hotel is updated

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anne046

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Stockport
Reviewed 23 September 2009

Stayed one night. Great location and we had a nice room overlooking the harbour. Free car park with plenty of room about 10 mins walk away. Great pub at ground level and handy for the town - 3 mins walk.

Didn't eat in in the evening but the breakfast was good.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhilDuff
North Devon
Reviewed 1 September 2009

If you visit the Quaside hotel I would advise even able bodied guests that they should be aware of the very dangerous stairs within the building. there is a mix of many small corridors, poor lighting and dangerous placed fire doors. During the short time there I personally saw three people trip. All able bodied- if you are old or have limited mobility I suggest checking the location of the local hospital first. In addition if you visit the hotel based on the photos in their website prepare yourself for a fairy story. The reality has no resemblance. Poor standards, grubby - we in fact had builders items still left on the patio of the room.
All in all under no circumstances stay at the so called hotel !!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank DegasLowe
Somerset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2009

The chef at the Quayside is fantastic! We have never had such wonderful food in an hotel. Absoloutley everything served to us was the best! Same can be said for the wait staff, reception & managment. Certainly the friendliest and most helpful people we have encountered in a very long time.
We had a sea-view room overlooking the harbour. Stunning views day and nightl. The room was comfortable, had everything you would need, including an electric fan, tea/coffee, bathroom amenities, flat screen TV. If you needed anything you just asked.
I was quite ill on one of the days there and the staff fussed over me, helped my husband with things he needed, brought dinner to our room. Fabulous service!
This hotel should definitely be at least a 4 Star.
Totally recommend it for leisure or business (wireless internet in lounge/bar).
We will be back!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend a week or so ago. It really is a wonderful hotel. The hotel staff were genuinely friendly and very helpful. The bar and lounge are very welcoming and cute and the food in the evening was some of the best we have had and we have eaten in some of the best restaurants (pre-children of course!) in England. The family room we had very plenty big enough for us, a 6 year old and a cot for the baby. Very clean and nicely decorated.
My only negative comment was that when we stayed, the other guests were very snobby about the fact we had a baby in the restaurant and were staring when she was making a noise - I don't think they realised that babies make noise ?!? But this is nothing to do with the hotel and the staff were extremely helpful, friendly and accommodating with the children. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Nice location with one of the best cooked breakfasts that I've ever had. That's the good bit.

Massively overpriced and grubby. The place is a maze with access through fire doors, steep stairs and cramped corridors. The view of the harbour is lovely but you pay for it with very loud road traffic that is constantly roaring up and down the hill.
The hotel has its own bar that has live music on Sunday nights. If you are in the room above it's a nightmare. Even after the music finishes you will have the joy of hearing the clearing up and then be woken at 7am by the bin men collecting the empties piled up outside your door.

In short a grubby, noisy overpriced hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Flitter
London
Reviewed 19 July 2009

I'd really love to be able to say fantastic, as I really enjoyed my stay in the main, made by the staff in generally (one was just amazing!) and at friendly, relaxed, quaint atmosphere; nice time in the bar socialising, evening food not bad and breakfast was excellent. There are things I coudl overlook, BUT not for the PRICE. Problems encountered include: tired, cramped, shabby rooms, hot stuffy atmosphere, parking, getting around/access like an assualt course (disabled is a no-no! - were told of my moblity issues yet said this room was fine!) and dinner service ( always late despite bookings; expected to fit round them at the expense of OUR plans). I therefore cannot say excellent value, well done - in fact overcharging at least £40 pn. We got a slight discount, but I believe it was a £120-40 job. For not much more you get the full 4/5 star experience in a larger hotel with large communal areas, gardens, plush receptions/lounges, and pool, room service etc - oh and parking! None of that here, not needed as such but you are paying someway towards it and yet getting an upmarket B&B in effect without the room quality.

Sorry Quayside, but the main problems for me that would prevent me returning are:

1. Room - had one of the 'better' rooms with harbour view (no balcony). Very pokey, extremely dated/shabby, uncomfortable small bed. Very low ceiling and small window, so hot - heaven help people in summer. Had to have window open all the time, come rain, wind or traffic noise. Not the most noisy road, but Brixham is quiet and this a 'main' route, soyou notice boy racers and taxis more. I appreciate the compromises due to 'character' but they'd clearly been over greedy and crammed in too many rooms at a smaller size. As a result, bathroom was virtually a cupboard! Damp, insufficent space, kept banging into tiles as slopes and things that restricted movement unless you were 5ft nothing. Shower poor, bathroom decor very shabby and dated and not cleaned very well during our stay, same for the room.

2. Room Access Issues - took ages to get to, an assult course! Stairs steep, narrow, unsafe, no bannister in parts. Respect compromises of old buildings, but I blame packing in too many rooms for this; looking around there were things they could do to make access easier if so inclined. More interested in maximising money from limited space.

What makes this worse: on booking I discussed my MOBLITY ISSUES at length. We discussed the rooms on offer, I stated a preference but was ADVISED THIS ROOM WAS THE EASIEST TO GET TO and I'D BE FINE - WRONG! We saw locations of the other rooms on offer, and this was certainly NOT the easiest to access. Described as having access via EASY STAIRS and about half the amount it really had! They should not mislead disabled people like this. Just tell us it's not suitable and we won't come, or be honest, then we can make an informed choice.

3. Parking - told carpark 'couple of mins, on level'. Each time my poor partner went there for luggage etc. he came back breathless, moaning round trip took 20 mins. For me fair play but he's a fit man who cycles 20 miles at decent speed without batting much of an eyelid LOL! Accept they can't help parking situation but - charge less for having none, and be honest!

And I was unhappy with:

1. Check In/Lack of Porterage - we were arriving late, but told no worries, as barman expecting us and would sort luggage. Told to park outside and unload on doorstep to save carrying it; we did. It took 10 mins to get attention, barman appeared, said he was busy and left us waiting longer with a car parked outside when we were not allowed to and risked a fine. When he finally showed, my partner hd to move the car, and left me with barman, expecting him to take our luggage up whilst I guarded the remainder in reception. However, barman he asked ME to take some, but I couldn't manage. He took just one small bag, and insited I follow him up. Most of my luggage was left unattended with non resident drinkers around, front door open. He then told me to stay in the room and he'd get the rest, but some 20 mins later he had not returned. Partner then arrived to find all our luggage unattended whilst barman drank in the bar! It took him two difficult trips to get the rest up stairs. When we went to the bar, barman was not busy that it could not wait whilst he sorted our luggage, he was drinkng wth group of four including some alledgedly famous chef famous chef I had never heard of who acted lke he owned the place, and barman was anxious to impress. Said chef was NOT a paying guest I might add.

2. Slow Dinner Service: Inflexible Bookings, Not Being Seated on Time- told needed to book, but much ado about where to fit us each time (don't prioritise guests over non residents who book before you even arrive!); tried to force us into free slots. Tried to persuade us to eat at opening one day when we'd got pre-booked appointments. They suggested we change these or might not get dinner; we told them that was impossible and we'd like to eat at 8pm; were told later 8.15pm, and they'd gone to great lengths to rejig bookings. Grateful, we rushed back, only to be told it would now be 9.15 pm! By the time we'd eaten, too late to go on for a drink elsewhere.

On Sat (theme evening), booked early as meeting people at 9pm. Went to bar for 7.15 booking, no seats (only held around 12), packed with folks waiting to eat and late with it. Assured we'd get seated soon, we sat drinking strange complimentary cocktails among other things for an hour and a half! Starving! Our arrangements had to be cancelled as not going to happen. We noticed spaces in the restuarant, but people were being staggered in as staff couldn't cook and serve fast enough we were told. Despite overruning by 1.5 hours, staff felt fine about rushing us. We needed a break for a ciggie and a phonecall, and explained this. We were chased 5 mins later to the bar by a waiter who had put food out and it went cold on the table. As Brixham pretty much dies at 11pm we were left again with no time to go out for a change of scene. We did have a nice time in their bar but still ... the evening WE had planned and did not think it unreasonble to fit in considerign the price of the hotel did not happen. Having to cancel your pre booked arrangments because of their delays is poor indeed.

3. General Disabled Access - on ground floor, no excuse not have ramps or level access into places like restaurant, bar as a lot of steps here and there. Shockingly no gf loo, had to go back to my room/up stairs in bar to go pee. Restaurant loo gf but up a step and often closed. Could do better, character building aside. Bad attitue overall in Brixham towards access -all pack 'em in, take their money and stuff access. Sad as there is so much to enjoy there for all abilities.

4. Uncomfortable Temperature/Ventilation - massive lack of. Sorry but I don't want to sweat in a bar or restaurant in March especially, and I want to sleep in cool air. Needs air con/windows open. Or pack less in and open up the room sizes. Hotels foget they do things that unnaturally heat places up e.g. unventilated corridors/aeas, packing in people, having bars/restaurants and kitchens. Old building yes but it was not designed for this so you need to compensate for it.

And whilst we knew this to be the case and can't complain, I would point out for a harbourside place I expect a few folks will expect some outside space to soak up the view. Nope, and you'll struggle to find this in Brixham full stop. Whole harbour is narrow pavements and roads, old buildings and nowhere to sit out for air save the odd cafe table if lucky. And boy are the buildings stuffy! This place being no exception. It was disappointing that we couldn'teven go outside and sit on bench or be in the doorway, when you come out you do so onto a very busy park of the road for people and often cars. I do like an 'outdoor' area.

We really liked:

1. STAFF - in general very friendly and nice to chat to, especially the breakfast waitress who was a LITTLE DIAMOND - THANK YOU SO MUCH! YOU MADE OUR STAY. One day we had a problem, we had to get somewhere and the car had broken down so partner had to wait in car park for AA. I had to walk ot the appointment so had little time for breakfast. I walked in and told her the situation and sad my partner couldnt have any and I'd just get toast and tea. She said, oh no dear, you need more than that for your busy day ahead and put me to front of queue and got me full brekkie in 5 mins! She also said that when my partner had finished, to ask for her and she'd give him his choice of brekkie. Which she did, at round 11.30 m. God bless her. Absolutely marvellous she was. And we had great chats with her about what it was like to live in Brixham etc. and advice on house buying. Lovely, lovely lady and whereever she is I wish her well. A Treasure. This is what these places are supposed to be about.

2. Breakfast - don't normally enjoy hotel breakfast but this was my fave ever. Lovely fish options, the haddock was to die for, and I had kippers and they were very good. Not so bony as usual and so much flavour. Brekkie staff like the lady above were the best in the hotel. There was no set restriction really so if you wanted more of something you got it. Helped me as I got through 3 pots of tea LOL! Liked the fact I could have an extra egg too. The atmosphere at brekkie was relxed and we got a table in the window which was nice. You can't quite get the full view though in there as low level, but still nice anyway. Was a very nice start to the day. a pre dinner drink and hate being rushed but each tiime we were sat there ages, spending cash on drinks, surrounded by oher folks in the same boat . It is almost as if this is ploy to get you to spend in the bar beforehand that make you finish dinner so late that you can't go elsewhere.

3. Bar Ambience, Sociable and Late Opening - despite what I said re barman, he was certainly amenable to late drinks for guests. And he did join in with the conversations, and being such a small bar it was good that he joined in and helped people to gel. NIce guy really, Aussie I think. On our last night we met a couple who like us had come for a gettaway and they were very sociable. We had a nice late nighter with them and took turns to get the G&Ts in. I do like to meet folks and chat so it was very nice to be able to do this with great company. Despite beign small the bar was compact and bijou as they say, very cosy. No outlook or window though. a bit hot but made a nice late night 'snug'.

Despite being kept waiting 1.5 hrs for our meal on Sat as mentioned, girl on bar was a good laugh and kept the free cocktails flowing albeit they were rather strong LOL ! So yeh, I guess I enjoyed the bar scene, but would rather not have been forced to wait there hours for meals when packed.

4. Location - very handy for the town and right on the harbour. Very convenient indeed. I know folks will make lots of the view, but to me it is nice but not great. I've spent a lot of time in Torbay and although it was quaint, the areas where you can view out over the bay are better IMO. I;m probably spoiled cos I've seen just bout very view possible in the area, and you do need to be higher up to get the full benefit. Still it's nice walking out onto the harbourside first thing in the morning and also in the evening at dusk when they light it up, looks beautiful.

Anyway, THE PRICE - taking the above into consideration, too high! It is effectively a crash pad/eating hole so a B&B would have served as well. Had we wanted to spend more time indoors, there was nothing to do except drink and not much space to relax. Shame as it had so much going for it and so much potential to do better.

Would add that the hotel has a public bar popular for non residents. Not that big and gets cramped so if you don't find a set on a Fri/Sat night at 7pm you never will. No fun standing around in there I assure you. However if you go in there midweek then it's a nice relaxed place.

So overall.....

Upside: location, friendly staff, breakfast, friendly after hours residents bar (albeit small), quaint

Downside: rooms, access issues, stuffy and hot, parking, infelixible dinner bookings that don't run to schedule; poor check in and dire porterage, dishonest about access and parking on booking, lack of outside space.

Warning: DIISABLED PEOPLE AVOID!!! or even if partially disabled and can walk like I could.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank RoomWithAViewpoint
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brixham
The Berry Head Hotel
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
Beacon House B&B
Beacon House B&B
#1 of 26 in Brixham

Been to Quayside Hotel? Share your experiences!