“STUNNING!!”
Review of Burgh Island Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Burgh Island
Burgh Island Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burgh Island
Reviewed 19 April 2008

For years I've dreamt of going to this hotel and although local and looked on from afar. I never thought i'd ever actually go but my wife booked us in for 2 nights for my anniversary present.

After reading many of the negative reports I was a little apprehensive but we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.
We decided that because of the price you pay, people expected to be thanked for turning up-(perhaps wealthy people think they dont need to have manners)-we heard one guest having A 'right go' because her creme brulee was to thick-and they didnt dress up for dinner-how sad!

We stayed in the Agatha Christie suite. The room is on the small side but has its own private balcony and the bathroom was huge! The bed was very comfy and the room had A lot of nice touches.

The food was superb, and having breakfast in the sunlit deck room was amazing with the panoramic views.

The price! Yes its A lot of money but this is A very exclusive hotel. We reasoned on the fact that you could go to Benidorm etc self-catering for A week or stay here in 5-star for A couple of nights.
You pay's your money you take your choice.
If you cant afford to pay for cocktails @10 pound a shot for a special occasion without enjoying it, dont go!

Remember to take swimwear for the Mermaid outside sea-pool or the sauna inside.

At the end of our stay we felt very relaxed and refreshed-job done.

Would we stay again? Hell yeah, but in the summer.
Oh by the way were both A year each side of 30.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank PUTMO
Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed 9 April 2008

Burgh Island Hotel was simply idyllic.
It's been on my list of places to "stay before I die" and it exceeded my wildest expectations.
The arrival was brillant - by sea tractor if the tide is high or by landrover at low tide. We called the hotel as we approached so they could send transport across for us - a delightfully unique experience!
All areas of the hotel are amazing. Everywhere, including the bedrooms and bathrooms are genuine art deco and very tastefully done.
The staff were amazing - treated us like royalty - nothing was too much trouble.
The food was excellent and dressing for dinner, the men in DJs and ladies in cocktail/evening dresses, was the icing on the cake.
We didn't leave the island at all during our stay...apart from borrowing hotel wellies and wading across the beach before the tide got too high!
We spent our time exploring the island, enjoying the stunning veiws, reading the papers and basking in the sunshine on their private Mermaid beach.
We had lunch in the Pilchard one day (a Monday)...a delicious Crab baguette eaten while enjoying the roaring fire, cold draught beer and glorious atmosphere.
The love-of-my-life booked this as an amazing surprise birthday present and I loved every second of it! We couldn't fault with any aspect of our stay at all (2 nights).
We both highly recommend it as a romantic break for two.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank slimblonde
Reviewed 28 March 2008

I normally use Mr & Mrs Smith to book our romantic little getaways but this time I decided to go on the recommendation of a friend who had exicited Charlies curiosity with their tale of Burgh Island & its Art Deco theme.

The price didn't phase me, £395 for dinner, bed & breakfast as this was a room rate & lets face it you can pay that for a really good meal.

So it took us 4hrs to get to the Island & the sun was shining. What a great view greeted us, the Island is a fantastic vista.

We arrived a little early but this wasn't a problem & we were shown to the Mermaid suite which overlooks the Mermaid Pool. The room was spacious, very blue & quite large. We both thought however it was a little tired around the edges, with the carpet being frayed at the edges. Then we saw the bathroom, not big enough to swing a cat, worse of all there was no shower but a full length bath with a fancy hose tap on it. The bed was comfortable & the views were fantastic.

We decided not to dress for dinner and tried the Pilchard Inn. It was like the Marie Cleste when we got in there. Lots of character but no atmosphere, it was Tuesday I suppose. So we then moved up to the big house where we dinned in the Captains Table. The service in the bar area while waiting to be seated was a bit hit & miss resulting in Charlie draging a barman in.

The food was supberb though, the wine list plentiful & surprisingly well priced. The service improved & we had a great meal.

The next day, again the weather was great, the sun was shining. Our overall experience was much improved. Tonight we dressed for dinner & enjoyed the house band. Shame I couldn't dance to it, I can only do the hold on tight & go round in a circle dance where as some of the others guest where proper Fred & Gingers!

Overall the hotel is great, is it worth £900 for 2 nights, probably but don't be too precious about high quality service, not happening. Don't let me let you think the service ain't good it is but it could be better.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank daemo
Reviewed 19 March 2008

My husband and I wanted to go somewhere special for our anniversary and we booked a two night stay at the Burgh Island on the recommendation of a work colleague. It was to be our first two night stay away from home without our son since he was born three years ago and with number two due later in the year, who knows when we would be able to do something like this again. So, we wanted to really treat ourselves.

We did arrive at the hotel with some trepidation having read some of the not so positive reviews on this forum. However, we can only speak as we find, and can say we had a truly wonderful stay.

From the moment we arrived the staff were courteous and professional with nothing being too much trouble. Bringing tea or coffee to the room in a morning was a lovely touch. As usual my husband forgot the cufflinks for his dress shirt and they were more than happy to lend him a pair. Staff were also more than happy to spend time chatting to us about the island and it's history. We saw no evidence of the rude behaviour that other reviewers have reported.

We found the hotel to be beautifully presented without being pretentious or ostentatious. We had booked a suite with a balcony which was very comfortable, incredibly clean and with a lovely bathroom.

The food was absolutely delicious and so beautifully presented that it seemed a shame to eat it. Clearly a lot of thought went into the menus and there was ample opportunity to sample locally sourced ingredients. Dressing for dinner was great fun, and as others have pointed out you cannot be over dressed.

The Plichard Inn was so quaint - the sort of place you could happily spend the afternoon quaffing pint after pint and spend gazing out of the window either at the sea tractor going back and forth (great fun) or watching people on the beach.

There is not very much to do on the island except ramble around it (takes an hour if you really walk slowly and take lots of photos!) - but that was the point for us as we wanted total and utter relaxation...which is what we got.

If I were being really picky I would forewarn future guests as to how ludicrously expensive the extras are e.g. £10 for a glass of champagne, £75 for a facial, £5 service charge for any room service orders BUT when you're paying up to £500 a night to stay here then our view was that you just have to go with the flow! Also, for true vegetarians (like my husband) the menu was somewhat limited and we had to ask on both days for an alternative to what was offered, especially at breakfast where there was no veggie option other than eggs and tomatoes. His requests were accommodated, but a separate vegetarian menu would have been a much better alternative.

Overall, we had a lovely stay - our only regret is that we didn't book for 3 nights!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nmg34
Reviewed 29 February 2008

My pregnant wife and I visited Burgh Island as a last treat shortly before the birth of our first child. It is a shame that by the time we left my wife was reduced to tears by the rude and inconsiderate treatment at the hands of the hotel owner and the head barman. It is not much to ask to be treated in a dignified manner, particularly when you are paying near £400 per night and had stayed there for the previous three nights. Our dispute, too petty to detail, revolved around some confusion over the check out procedure and possibility of my parents joining us for a farewell lunch on the day of departure. We ended up spending the last night in our room too angry / upset to go down to dinner reduced to listening to the authentic 1920s radio (they don't do TV here).

I had read the previous reviews and noted that quite a few people referred to the difficult owner and managing team. I assumed this was simply an overeaction by a particularly sensitive minority. However, I can honestly say in many many years of traveling across the globe, I have never fallen out with a manager or felt the need to write a negative review on a site such as this. I still feel angry when I think about what happened, and make sure I tell everyone visiting my home country of Devon to avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
17  Thank HenryLacey
Reviewed 19 November 2007

My wife and I stayed at Burgh Island last week for her 50th Birthday and our wedding anniversay.
As is touched on in other reviews, Burgh Island is an experience, much more than just a hotel.
The service was first rate from the time we arrived to the time that we left.
The food is exceptional, especially the Fish and Game and the wine list, although it has some very expensive vintages, also has plenty of very drinkable bottles at under £30.
The rooms are not exactly overloaded with modern accessories but are perfectly in keeping with the hotel's atmosphere.
Tea or Coffee is bought to your room every morning.
Our Bathroom in "Fruity Metcalfe" was bigger than our Kitchen back home!
This hotel will always devide opinion and I couldnt imagine staying there for a fortnight, but as a stylish, romantic break for a couple of days, I think it would be hard to beat.
We will be going again.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Alnjo
Reviewed 7 November 2007

Our party of six booked direct , after some confusion with the unhelpful , hostile manager , for a special birthday dinner .We arrived with some trepidation but the staff on the night were wonderful , especially Gary & the food was good. Tip - don't order chocolate birthday cake without asking the price - £67.00 !

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa
Glazebrook House Hotel
Glazebrook House Hotel
#1 of 2 in South Brent

Been to Burgh Island Hotel? Share your experiences!