“Simply magical!”
Review of Burgh Island Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Burgh Island
Burgh Island Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burgh Island
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Simply magical!”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I have longed to visit Burgh Island since I was a child when my fascination with all things Art Deco and Christie first began. As an adult, justifying the cost had become difficult, but then a surprise stay as a 34th birthday present made my wish come true. The hotel and surroundings are breathtaking, from each and every perfectly authentic detail, to the feeling of total relaxation and true escapism that we had from the moment the car collected us to take us over the causeway.
I have read/heard first hand some negativity with regard to the strict access policy at the hotel and The Pilchard. To this I would say, I do see where these views are coming from- for a lot of people, staying on the island is a dream that will always be out of reach, so a look around and drink at the pub would at least be a part of the amazing experience. However, as someone lucky enough to have stayed there, the exclusivity is an important part of the experience. It is pricey (although worth every penny), and during our stay - with only three other couples booked in, we truly felt special, and so, so lucky to be a part of the atmosphere. Stepping back in time, exploring the hotel (around every corner is another stunning piece of furniture/art) and having a drink at The Pilchard in our own private area was fabulous. My advice for anyone itching to visit, is do it!! Save up, that's what my husband did for me, trust me- it's worth it! We'll be back for my 40th, for a long weekend this time. In the meantime, we make do with stays in Bigbury-on-Sea and still walk over to the island, enjoying the stunning views on the causeway. Yes, we may not be able to enter the hotel, but this adds to the magic for me, knowing that we'll be back one day and that world will be ours once again...wonderful!

• Stayed April 2013
OwnerBI, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. I'm going to skip the value point (see below posts) as I realise I'm on a losing wicket as far as public perception goes.....until you've you've stayed here! I'm going to talk about the privacy thing, which is: this is genuinely one of the few private Islands in the UK. It's also tidal, which means there's access for part of each day. It would be foolish to resist - and we wouldn't want to; we have dedicated two footpaths on the Western side for public access in the last decade. However, the Island does need husbandry and constant attention. It needs a "raison d'être" which sustains it's Eco-system and also the hotel and Pilchard Inn. We have no public sector grants, we're not a National Trust property, we have no means of keeping this lovely place alive and thriving except through what we know how to do well and enjoy doing and that is looking after our guests and their enjoyment of the Island. I agree; it is simply magical and thank you for joining our guest list.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I have just returned from celebrating my 40th birthday in Burgh Island. With both of us being big art deco and Agatha Christie fans we have wanted to stay here for ages and could never find a good enough reason to justify the cost. We booked the Christie room over a year ago as it wouldn't have been right for us to stay in any other room. When we arrived we found the staff to be very helpful and couldn't do enough for us. We were then taken to our room and it was beautiful. During our stay Gary the barman looked after us well and once he knew we were big Agatha fans he would talk to us about her books, films and life. He is a great character and an asset to the hotel.

We loved dressing for dinner and the cocktails and food were amazing. The staff were attentive and polite and made the experience all the better. The weather was bad on Sunday but after a walk on the beach we relaxed in the TV room and then back to the bar for more chat with Gary (and some wine/beer of course!).

It was an amazing trip and we have some great memories and we are already planning on coming back for my husband's 50th birthday.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah R
OwnerBI, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. We all really appreciate your enthusiasm for Agatha and you find a kindred spirit in Gary! As to price, see below post.... I really don't think our headline price (which doesn't increase at weekends or in summer season) for our Christie room at £180 per person after vat for dinner, bed and breakfast, private parking and transfers to and from the Island is a huge amount? Having experienced the Island at first hand, I trust you'll agree and come back for many good reasons in the future - not least your husband's 50th.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

This hotel really is like a jewel on its own island. It offers an authentic 1930's experience, complete with glamour, cocktails and fine food. All rooms are differently appointed. We stayed in the Noel Coward suite for a weekend. Such class! Not the forgettable homogeneity of modern hotels! Our room over-looked the tidal sands and the Mermaid pool. The morning sun streamed through the windows. Highlights for me included cocktails in the Palm Court Bar, breakfasts in the Ganges room (such as English, American, Indian, and a continental table of fruits and croissants) and the unique experience of riding the sea tractor through the waves. The staff are all friendly and seem to love living on the island. Our weekend included a murder mystery which was great fun, and a good way to break the ice with other guests. Having watched Agatha Christies' "Evil under the sun" before going, we had fun trying to identify the set locations. We also had time for a game of tennis and a few walks/jogs around the island. Worth visiting for an authentic, relaxing time.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marco P
OwnerBI, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for your thoughtful review and I'm especially delighted by your '30s appropriate vocabulary; maybe inspired by watching Evil Under the Sun or maybe you are just gorgeously sophisticated?
Noel Coward is a lovely suite and, with double aspect views, does get the best of the morning sun. My congratulations, also, on jogging round the Island - and I hope your trail began and ended at The Pilchard Inn
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We visited for the first time for the murder mystery weekend!!! This place was so amazing and exceeded all my expectations which were high to start with!!! From the moment you arrive you are spoilt. The decor is stunning, the rooms unique and personal. We had fantastic views of the coast and the meeting tides from our room. It was magical. The food is out of this world. Big compliments to the catering team. The cocktail bar was superb. I am 6 months pregnant and Gary really took care of me and it didn't feel like I was missing out. My husband can definatly vouch for the amazing cocktails anyway. The customer service, attention to detail was the icing on the cake.
I love the little quirky additions like the hotel murder mystery game- awesome. The actuall murder mystery night was great fun and we really can't wait to come back one day and be spoilt again. This was like a second honeymoon and a great way to pamper before the baby arrives. I even treated my self to a pregnancy massage which was excellent. Yes it is expensive but totally totally worth it!!! The staff are a credit to the owners and I hope that they are deservedly appreciated as the team did a super job if making us feel welcome and spoilt for the whole weekend!!!!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Flumpy-Clarkycat
OwnerBI, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. My tardiness in replying means you will by now probably be a Mum so our congratulations (especially from Gary, who does remember you). The staff at Burgh are by far the valuable assists on the Island and I trust - judging from the length of time many of them have lived and worked here - that they have as much fun as our guests, although fewer cocktails.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

From the moment we were collected and driven over to the Hotel we were really looked after! The Burgh Island staff are second to none and couldn't do enough for us. Our room was stunning and lovely and warm which was a welcome after arriving in one of the worst storms they had experienced! The Décor in the hotel is very of its era and has been kept to a high standard.
We really enjoyed the Valentine evening, We laughed so much, Noel Coward and crew were hysterical and afterwards we sang along in the Bar until our voices dried up.What a fabulous place, it really made you feel away from it all. Totally relaxed and looking forward to another stay in the near future. Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Mitchell room, great as two single beds pushed together so bigger than some of the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Georgina M
OwnerBI, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for your lovely review and for staying with us over Valentine's Weekend. This was the really stormy time and you may have seen pictures of the height of the tides and their power on our "Burgh Bugle" newsletter.....anyway, all damage beautifully repaired by now and the hotel was unscathed. The Valentine's Ball is always such a hit and so funny; "Noel Coward" and his friends have been visiting for years to entertain our guests and they are just so classically of the period - and such great actors and musicians - that it can't fail to charm. Top tip, also, about the Mitchell Room having authentic twin beds which we can make as a generous double - although past guests do note that we've just done a complete bed audit and actually designed our own deco bed frames for some of the key rooms so you can enjoy 21st century mattress sizes in Art Deco style!
cheshire
Reviewed 9 February 2014

What a place and what a group of staff. I took my wife away for two nights for her birthday. From the minute we arrived it excelled. Burgh really is like stepping back in time. On Arrival we were given choice of room as we had reserved beach hut but with weather being so bad it had its downsides, so moved to Garden suite. We're not disappointed at all. Fantastic room.

We knew it was going to be fun, when meeting Jess in the bar, we got to find out all about Gary. This man should be on the stage. But in fairness everyone was fantastic from Felix to Edgar who got up early to make breakfast.

It is expensive, but for us was worth every single penny. I don't think we've had such a good laugh and enjoyment at a hotel for many many years.

Try the hot chocolate it is superb,

Final thanks to everyone at Burgh who made our trip such a great experience. You are all truly exceptional hosts and credit to your profession.

Will certainly be back.

Alan & Louisa.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank abr08
OwnerBI, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you both for your exuberant review and for your kind words about our excellent staff. Both Beach House and Garden suite are just top notch rooms and you would be equally happy in both but I'm glad Garden was free so you could cosy up in the very heart of the hotel during the storms of this winter. It's good to hear you laughed - fun is what the Island is about and we love to share our experience with guests. Do come back soon for another romantic birthday treat.
Devizes
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Went here a few years ago and reading the reviews is still marvellous. Yes it was expensive but I would pay it again and double. Every member of staff go out of there way to be helpful and friendly. The food is to die for. Made it more exciting that the weather was bad and could not us the tractor so we were stranded on the island which suited us fine for our murder mystery weekend. Had a lovely game of snooker in afternoon and was great having no tvs around for a change. Can't wait to go back but will have to save the pennys but so worth it.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Ann G
OwnerBI, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Please don't wait too long to come back; you'll see so many little refinements around the place (we're always titivating but always the same - if you see what I mean). Our Murder Mystery weekends do fill up fast and you're right, it's more fun when the weather closes in and you're actually stranded (for 6 hours anyway) watching the tide close in and part.......who knows what mystery will unfold?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burgh Island
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa
The Sun Bay Hotel
The Sun Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hope Cove

Been to Burgh Island Hotel? Share your experiences!