“Faultless and fabulous.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Burgh Island Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Burgh Island
Burgh Island Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burgh Island
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
“Faultless and fabulous.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

We have just spent two nights in the Fruity Metcalfe Suite. It absolutely exceeded our expectations in every respect. From the moment of our arrival until our departure we were met with friendliness, courtesy and professionalism from all staff. Our room was wonderful and the views over two sides of the bay were stunning. Even the weather turned out to be perfect. The evenings were a particular pleasure. Black tie dress turned out to be fantastic fun. The live music and the dancing were very atmospheric and the food was creative and perfectly executed. The breakfasts were as good as any we've ever had. All in all the most fantastic experience and location. We were very sad to leave and will definitely recommend to all our friends. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Fruity Metcalfe Suite was marvelous.
2 Thank Tony L
southernhayhouse, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your lovely review and your enthusiasm for "Fruity" Metcalfe and the Burgh experience generally; it sounds as though you had a great time - which is our aim and raison d'etre. I sincerely hope you do return in future for many happy escapes to the past.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Exquisite location, superb art deco decor, excellent food but a little frayed at the edges and lacking charisma.
And eye-wateringly expensive. We stayed in the Memrmaid Suite and you could not fault it if you are happy to forego a television for a couple of days and you do not mind paying for a cup of tea because there are no tea-making facilities in the room. The staff were really helpful and there was a lovely feeling of serenity in the evening when the tide came in and the hotel was surrounded by the sea. Make sure you understand where the Hotel car-park is situated - probably just us, but it took us some time to find it.

Room Tip: The website gives a fair reflection of all the suites you can choose.
3 Thank Simon F
OwnerBI, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for your kind review and your appreciation of the deco style of the hotel. I'm not really sure what is meant by lacking charisma? I'm sure it's not our staff, who are universally praised for their manner? If you care to let me know what this refers to I can, of course, investigate. Perhaps you were put off by the headline price of £510 for Mermaid suite, which includes breakfast and dinner for two, free tea or coffee brought freshly made to your room at a time of your choice, safe mainland parking and unlimited transfers to and from the Island as well as full use of all Island facilities. There is literally nothing hidden in the tariff, which we don't hike in summer or at weekends (and in fact is fixed to April 2016). Please, dear readers, do take into account the crippling level of vat on tourism, the UK's 7th largest industry and make the following calculation: £510 less 20% = £204 per person for all of the above services. Your only additional expense would be champagne and/or a baguette in The Pilchard! My apologies if this explanation lacks charisma, but we are an independent business, sourcing local produce and our staff are paid well and on full time contracts. *Stops for breath*
New Forest, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

This weekend was just the best. I just cant fault it at all. Saying that the weather could have been better BUT! hey not the hotels fault. I have eaten in some really top class places but this was way up there if not above expectations. If you book this place you will not be disappointed just pick some good weather. The staff just tried hard to make our stay fab. The chef? Tim Hall? is such a top class chef that nothing came out of that kitchen sub standard. I was so delighted with my stay that i will be booking up for another weekend very soon.Great few days.

Room Tip: All rooms have a theme so choose yours beforehand. Not that it matters as i am sure they are all ver...
2 Thank lindaforbes1
OwnerBI, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
That's a lovely review and thank you for taking time to post it - it seems that we really do have the best team of staff ever this year and it's important for them to know that you noticed! Please do book up again, and soon - the weather has finally turned (although there's desultory rain as I write, but the sea is hotting up!)
Isleworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

My wife & I have just returned from our third stay at this hotel and it just keeps getting better. It is the only hotel that I've ever stayed in where I could feel content just sitting around doing nothing. The room (Amy Johnson) was wonderful, the food (especially the 'Full Devon' breakfast) marvellous and spending a relaxing afternoon watching the tide come in from the comfort of the Pilchard Inn on my wife's birthday was unbeatable.I have long experience of working & staying in hotels all over the world and the staff here are truly exceptional. Genuinely helpful & friendly, yet professional, they are a breath of fresh air & the main reason we are looking forward to our return visit so much.

2 Thank Peter H
OwnerBI, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for your generous review and I am delighted that you both enjoyed your wife's birthday with us. I'm a little in love with your profile picture too (a fellow GP fancier?). It is a little known fact that Amy Johnson actually stopped off at Burgh on her way to open Plymouth Airport in the '20s and that is why we have her "name on the door". Thank you, also, for your appreciation of the staff, all of whom work with pleasure and dedication to bring Burgh Island alive for our guests.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We have wanted to stay at Burgh Island for quite a while and decided to finally take the plunge last week. We stayed in the Malcolm Campbell room (which is positioned directly above the Burgh Island sign/entrance) and it was great with spectacular views of the front lawn and the causeway. The large 1930s bath is a nice touch too (something you don’t see on the website pictures).

The quality of the breakfast and evening meals are of a very high standard, with locally sourced free range produce used without fail. The evening meal on the second night was potentially the best I have ever had, and that includes the small handful of 1* eateries I’ve visited. The Pilchard Inn is superb, with nicely kept ales and snacks produced by the hotel. The staff are lovely also.

The wrinkles I mention in my title concern some areas of the hotel that look a little tired and in need of maintenance/coat of paint. We were surprised to find this (especially the window frames of the ‘galleon’ room which virtually free of paint and crumbling, and torn wallpaper in a couple of places, plus excess sealant smeared over the mosaic tiles of the bath). I also think the arrival instructions could be a little clearer; the instructions ask you to call the hotel once you’re a mile or so away so that the Land Rover/Sea Tractor can set-off to pick you up. We did this, however once we reached the car park our phone signal had disappeared and we weren’t sure where exactly we’d be picked up (we weren’t sure whether to leave the car park or not). Within 5 minutes the Land Rover arrived in the car park and answered our question, but I think the instructions should make this crystal clear (or there should be a sign in the car park).

Overall, fantastic stay however, and I’m sure we’ll return at some point.

Room Tip: Malcolm Campbell room has a large bath you don't see on website pics.
OwnerBI, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for your detailed review and I appreciate your kind comments and enthusiasm - I hope it won't be long before we welcome you here again. I had thought our arrival "factsheet" was detailed and clear but will of course review this - the last reliable mobile signal is at The Golf Course in Bigbury and I thought it said this. On the maintenance; we have a three strong team who are fully employed all year and several lovely contractors who come on for the specialist work - all were flat out this year, as you might imagine after the winter storms, so I truly apologise for any areas which had not yet had their annual titivation.
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

I have longed to visit Burgh Island since I was a child when my fascination with all things Art Deco and Christie first began. As an adult, justifying the cost had become difficult, but then a surprise stay as a 34th birthday present made my wish come true. The hotel and surroundings are breathtaking, from each and every perfectly authentic detail, to the feeling of total relaxation and true escapism that we had from the moment the car collected us to take us over the causeway.
I have read/heard first hand some negativity with regard to the strict access policy at the hotel and The Pilchard. To this I would say, I do see where these views are coming from- for a lot of people, staying on the island is a dream that will always be out of reach, so a look around and drink at the pub would at least be a part of the amazing experience. However, as someone lucky enough to have stayed there, the exclusivity is an important part of the experience. It is pricey (although worth every penny), and during our stay - with only three other couples booked in, we truly felt special, and so, so lucky to be a part of the atmosphere. Stepping back in time, exploring the hotel (around every corner is another stunning piece of furniture/art) and having a drink at The Pilchard in our own private area was fabulous. My advice for anyone itching to visit, is do it!! Save up, that's what my husband did for me, trust me- it's worth it! We'll be back for my 40th, for a long weekend this time. In the meantime, we make do with stays in Bigbury-on-Sea and still walk over to the island, enjoying the stunning views on the causeway. Yes, we may not be able to enter the hotel, but this adds to the magic for me, knowing that we'll be back one day and that world will be ours once again...wonderful!

• Stayed April 2013
OwnerBI, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. I'm going to skip the value point (see below posts) as I realise I'm on a losing wicket as far as public perception goes.....until you've you've stayed here! I'm going to talk about the privacy thing, which is: this is genuinely one of the few private Islands in the UK. It's also tidal, which means there's access for part of each day. It would be foolish to resist - and we wouldn't want to; we have dedicated two footpaths on the Western side for public access in the last decade. However, the Island does need husbandry and constant attention. It needs a "raison d'être" which sustains it's Eco-system and also the hotel and Pilchard Inn. We have no public sector grants, we're not a National Trust property, we have no means of keeping this lovely place alive and thriving except through what we know how to do well and enjoy doing and that is looking after our guests and their enjoyment of the Island. I agree; it is simply magical and thank you for joining our guest list.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

My husband and I have just returned from celebrating my 40th birthday in Burgh Island. With both of us being big art deco and Agatha Christie fans we have wanted to stay here for ages and could never find a good enough reason to justify the cost. We booked the Christie room over a year ago as it wouldn't have been right for us to stay in any other room. When we arrived we found the staff to be very helpful and couldn't do enough for us. We were then taken to our room and it was beautiful. During our stay Gary the barman looked after us well and once he knew we were big Agatha fans he would talk to us about her books, films and life. He is a great character and an asset to the hotel.

We loved dressing for dinner and the cocktails and food were amazing. The staff were attentive and polite and made the experience all the better. The weather was bad on Sunday but after a walk on the beach we relaxed in the TV room and then back to the bar for more chat with Gary (and some wine/beer of course!).

It was an amazing trip and we have some great memories and we are already planning on coming back for my husband's 50th birthday.

2 Thank Sarah R
OwnerBI, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. We all really appreciate your enthusiasm for Agatha and you find a kindred spirit in Gary! As to price, see below post.... I really don't think our headline price (which doesn't increase at weekends or in summer season) for our Christie room at £180 per person after vat for dinner, bed and breakfast, private parking and transfers to and from the Island is a huge amount? Having experienced the Island at first hand, I trust you'll agree and come back for many good reasons in the future - not least your husband's 50th.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burgh Island
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa
The Sun Bay Hotel
The Sun Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hope Cove

Been to Burgh Island Hotel? Share your experiences!