“A slice of Deco heaven”
Review of Burgh Island Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Burgh Island
Burgh Island Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Burgh Island
Sherborne, United Kingdom
“A slice of Deco heaven”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We got married in the morning of the13th of June and left our guests behind to travel to Burgh Island. We wanted our first moments as husband and wife to be spent away from the usual trappings of your typical wedding day.
As soon as you see the island it takes your breath away, we were blessed with the hottest day of the year so far.
The ride to the island on the sea tractor, still in my wedding dress will be a memory I shall always treasure.
on arrival the staff were attentive and welcoming. Throughout our stay the staff were nothing but polite and helpful.
We stayed in the Jessie Matthews room, not my first choice but all rooms were booked. It was still a lovely room and the views from the balcony made up for me not being able to try out the artist studios bath tub!!
Dressing for dinner was a marvellous experience entered into by all of the guests, you have canapés and drinks before dinner in the bar which is a marvellous idea and gives you an opportunity to mingle with other guests. It felt like a very sociable affair and it's really part of the whole experience. The food was wonderful and the singer on our Saturday night stay was fabulous. All couples danced and had a wonderful time.

But what made my stay and what I will always remember about beautiful Burgh is Gary the bar man. An eccentric strange and wonderful man who's cocktails are lethal and whose conversation is enthralling. A true professional who's bar is his stage.

I loved Burgh, it's an experience and if you throw yourself into that you will get the most out of it. I can't wait to go back for our first anniversary.

• Stayed June 2014
southernhayhouse, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for your lovely review; I'm delighted we were the backdrop to the start of your life together. A bride on the Sea Tractor - just perfect (and I love the dress; very deco in itself). Thank you also for posting some excellent pics of your stay - I note the twinkle in Gary's eye which would be appreciation for your gorgeous evening dress! Fingers crossed for The Artist's Studio on your anniversary.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
London
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This weekend was probably my 7th stay at Burgh Island. This time, it was my partner's parents' Golden Wedding Anniversary and they kindly took us for the weekend. We stayed in the Beach House and the Noel Coward suite and it was utterly fantastic. The staff even remembered that my partner's father had a citric acid intolerance from our stay 4 years ago. How do they do that? The service is simply wonderful - every person you meet is so pleasant, charming and delightful. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left it was a pure joy and I must say the food is never less that superb. I phoned my Mum on the Saturday (she had stayed with me a few years before) and she eagerly asked if the same high standards still applied. I was very grateful to say yes. And a special thank you to Gary at the bar who together with the other Burgh Island staff absolutely makes for an unforgettable weekend.

Room Tip: Any room!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your gorgeous review and we all appreciate your kind comments about the food and service. Gary "McBar" is rather a legend and I'll pass your comments on to him. We're a small and independent hotel and it's a pleasure to welcome back regular guests; we also do try and keep records of significant likes or dislikes and, of course, allergies but it's quite likely that the information was just stored in the mighty brain of one of our lovely long term staff such as Vlad, Timmy or Hugh. In any event, I hope that we will welcome you back for many happy days in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We had an amazing break at Burgh Island, staying in the Christie room, to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. This is a brilliant hotel in a very romantic setting. The rooms were luxurious and the whole hotel full of nice touches, done up in true Art Deco style.

The food in the restaurant is top notch, amazing local seafood. The canapés and drinks in the bar beforehand is a really nice touch.

All the staff were very friendly and hoping to please.

Yes it is expensive but you get what you pay for. Don't come here if you want to stay in a modern soulless Four Seasons. Come here for traditional luxury in an amazing setting.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adam1201
southernhayhouse, Owner at Burgh Island Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Thank you for your lovely review - I hope you make a habit of visiting for your anniversaries and try a different room each time (as many of our guests do). I'm especially pleased that you enjoyed the food and will pass this to Chef Timmy. All of the key ingredients in our menus are locally sourced and so seafood naturally is a key player. Traditional & luxury are two accolades we aim for and it's super of you to recognise this.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

An experience is definitely a good description for this hotel. My husband booked it as a surprise for my 50th birthday - he had heard about it from a couple we met in Monaco recently who raved about it. He told me to pack cocktail dresses & walking shoes (not to be worn together!) and I was suitably intrigued. From the moment we were picked up in the Land Rover & driven across it was fantastic - staff so friendly & helpful. We had the Noel Coward suite on the 2nd floor - absolutely lovely. Tim had arranged for flowers and Bollinger - latter had clearly just been placed in the lounge as the ice bucket was very icy! We wandered around the island, had a quick snifter in the Pilchard Inn (the pub) and then got into our finery for dinner. It is so nice to have a fine dining experience in evening wear - food was delicious, and quantities just right. We were there Saturday & Sunday nights, so enjoyed the dance on the Saturday. Sunday was quieter, but still enjoyable and food was tremendous. So much work goes on behind the scenes, and it is good to know that tips left with reception are divided equally between all staff. The beaches are amazing (hence the walking shoes) and I really felt that we were on holiday! So nice to not have a tv in our bedroom - we normally would have it on in the background for the news..........we had the radio and it really was lovely to just switch off. Entertaining to watch people getting caught out by the tide and having to wade back to the mainland - 2 guys were rescued by canoists who hopped out, put the guys in and towed them back! The sea tractor is a great experience - we came back on that. We most definitely will go back, and highly recommend it for a very different weekend away.

Room Tip: Our room was 2nd floor, corner overlooking the mermaid pool - very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elaine L
Golly! That's a really lovely review that almost gave me goosebumps. All I can say is I am delighted that your 50th was a success and I congratulate your lovely husband on his thoughtfulness. You are so kind to note the "behind scenes" and, yes, I absolutely confirm that all tips are shared equally between the staff, both "on the stage" and behind scenes - this is a fundamental policy of my business. We all hope to welcome you back, not just for special birthdays but whenever you feel like stepping out of time.
Bristol
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Wonderful individual experience! Overpriced but so memorable. Views fantastic, island so lovely. Rooms and hotel so in a time zone of its own! The Mermaid pool is fantastic, outside pool in the rocks. Cocktails amazing , food a little on the skinny side, nouveau cuisine!

Room Tip: You. Get a lot more for your money if you avoid the cheapest rooms! Although the smallest room is st...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anserrees
Thank you for your lovely review and for noting all the little options for activities around the hotel. You say that it is overpriced but please understand (as readers of my replies will already do) that our prices are all inclusive of breakfast and dinner for two, parking and transfers, don't hike in summer or at weekends, and - my especial bete noir - include vat at 20%. I'm glad that you appreciated the individuality of the experience and hope you return to join us in the future (and were you to do so - please remember that Chef is always happy to adapt menus or prepare something special for you if you prefer).
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This hotel has many rave reviews, deservedly so. The 20s/30s ambiance is total and original, there maybe the odd spot of weathering but it is only an odd spot and doesn't detract to my mind. The location is wonderful, with glorious views along the Devon coast, all enhanced with an hotel dedicated to the Art Deco era. This extends through the splendid cocktail bar to the dining room and beyond.
We can only speak for the Chegwin bedroom, the theme continues here and in the en-suite. The Chegwin has a narrow balcony, though big enough to sit and enjoy the views towards Bigbury and beyond. It is spacious and furnished with armchairs and dressing table. The hotel's website photo of this room doesn't do it justice.
The staff are very helpful and efficient and, as the staffing is discreet, it can give the impression sometimes of being understaffed, but service in the dining room was always very good and also in the cocktail bar, where the barman provides an articulate and witty accompaniment to an excellent cocktail bar service.
Dinner was up to the standard expected at this price level, as were the menu selection and wine list.
The gentlemen diners, attired in dinner suits and jackets, added to the backdrop, unfortunately most of the ladies, my wife apart, chose to wear simple everyday dresses or skirts, rather than more elegant and sophisticated items the occasion deserved. Future female guests please note.
A very enjoyable and atmospheric stay, turn a blind eye to any minor defects, this hotel is exceptional.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David T
Thank you for your very kind review and I appreciate your generous comments. I share your disappointment in the ladies not dressing for dinner on the evening of your stay (with the honourable exception of your wife). While we really don't want to be prescriptive (anyone else remember the polyester ties that got handed out to guests at the American Bar in the Savoy back in the day when they had a strict jacket & tie policy?) we do say - categorically - that you can never be overdressed at Burgh Island.
St Albans Herts
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Six attended the Restaurant for dinner as a birthday treat. The venue, the arrival experience and the stylish original features were very good ,however the overall evening was only average. The food was good but overpriced. Sadly the evening was marred by being, I am convinced, overcharged for house champagne. I phoned beforehand to request a welcome champagne - I requested Bollinger as listed on web at £69, was told no stock available but offered house champs at £57 - this I accepted. Glasses poured and ready on arrival, no bottle in sight, but at point of paying charged £79 ! Apparently we were given a 'better' one! Sorry but I would have expected this to have been pointed out upon arrival. We were guests so not prepared to make a fuss but feel 'stitched'. Every evening is black tie but must say we didn't feel this was justified - the dining experience didn't live up to expectation. Beautiful place in a wonderful location but the small detail of the champagne incident really took the edge off the evening.

Room Tip: Restuarant only
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank SteveStAlbansHerts
Thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention. I'm sorry that your champagne was substituted and you are quite right that this should have been pointed out, and your approval required, before serving. It just seems plain odd to me and not our normal way of service at all and so I will get to the bottom of this! Please accept my apologies; it obviously cast a cloud over your evening.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burgh Island
#4 of 8 in Salcombe
The Sun Bay Hotel
The Sun Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Hope Cove

Been to Burgh Island Hotel? Share your experiences!