Yes, it is expensive. Yes, it is worth it. Yes, we would go again if we could afford it.
We stayed two nights in Fruity Metcalfe for our Silver Wedding Anniversary.
A few detailed points
1. The procedure for arrival could be less stressful if there were a map showing the car park.
2. Our room was lovely with fabulous views and immense bathroom but there was no room for a table or even chair.
3. The food was of a high standard, particularly the fish and desserts. Service was very well paced , correctly leisurely but with no long waits.
4. We realised that there would not be a band on our 2 nights but think it would be a nice idea to have a pianist at one of the two fine pianos in situ. The piping of not always appropriate music during dinner and breakfast was not worthy of a hotel of this class.
5. For a hotel of this size you would expect the senior manager to have a strong presence and have a hands-on role. Also, names and pictures of the staff would have been interesting and added a personal touch.
It's all too easy and tempting to find fault when expectations and prices are so high. But they need to be put into context. This is a memorable, unique institution and is strongly recommended for those seeking a special celebratory occasion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Authentic Art Deco hotel on its own private tidal island. Frequented by Agatha Christie, Noel Coward, Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson, amongst others. Join our famous guest list for lounging on our sunny terraces, a snug pint in front of the fire in The Pilchard - our 14th century inn - cocktails at sunset and black tie dining every night. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Burgh Hotel Island
- Burgh Island Hotel Devon