“Perfect setting for an elegant meal.”
Review of Northcote Manor

Northcote Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Burrington
Dining options: Reservations
Description: 3 AA red starts, 2 AA Rosettes, AA notable wine list and 'Devon Venue'in the Westcountry Wedding Awards.> Northcote manor is a cherished Country House Hotel set in the foothills of Exmoor National Park, Enjoy sweeping views over the Taw Valley, sundowners on the sun terrace and cream teas on the lawn or in front of crackling log fires. The perfect wedding venue or conference centre.
Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

I booked a meal here for a 'special treat' as part of our 'mini moon'. We were staying in a cottage near by. I was not let down.
My wife and I had a lovely time.
From the start we were made to feel welcome and the service was attentive throughout. We were served canapes with our pre dinner drinks. We went for the 3 course meal. The food was fresh, local and a pleasure to eat. We both had the pork as the main course - so melt in your mouth. Loved the cheese selection. We were served coffee in the lounge whilst we we waiting for our taxi.
We came away feeling well looked after and special.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

To be clear, no hint of a complaint here overall, excellent canapés, starter and dessert, good main, though bouche was a little short on taste. I feel though service remains excellent whether busy or quiet the quality of the food slips slightly. Don't get me wrong, the chef is properly talented and on his day arguably single handedly lifts the whole place from good to excellent. But when it's busy you do notice the edges rough up ever so slightly, and I guess that's the challenge, to maintain excellence no matter what. Then again I have to say that everywhere has off days no matter who is in the kitchen.

1  Thank PGBakes
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Have posted a reviw on the NM hotel site but wanted to post one on here as well to counter some previous adverse reviews

The set dinner started with a drink in the bar then 5 courses of very delicious food in the restaurant. The choice of wines served with each course was well selected.

There was a short wait for dessert but this was due to it being freshly cooked so no problem!

I had no issues with the service, the food or the wine...

Reviewed 19 January 2012

I booked the hotel as an anniversary treat having reviewed the hotel and restaurant.

Northcote Manor looks lovely but a little tired but that is part of the charm

The staff

My thanks go to Mitchell Cohen, Sommelier you are truely a professional.
However i would recommend customer service and table/silver service training for all other members of staff. I was concerned that service stopped in the restaurant a number of times whilst all staff served a party in the function room, and I marveled that when food was served in the restaurant, it did not appear to matter to the staff that the customer was not seated; i.e, using the facilities. accepted practice?

The Tasting menu was not in my opinion a gourmet meal and a real disappointment, on all levels. Once again thank you Mitchell for your apologies and for the port and coffee (not charged for) however this does not make up for a substandard meal.

2  Thank goldengems
Reviewed 16 January 2012

£411 a night......

One night in Heaven was a classic song in the 80s by the group M People, Yes 80 nostalgia the title of this song can not be compared with the evening I spent at the Northcote Manor in Devon.

I am an avid TravelZoo consumer, always looking for that little extra enjoyment and experience at an exceptional price, with the offers not compensating on package and expected class of luxury.

On Saturday the 14th of January 2012 I arrived at the self advertised ‘unsurpassed level of luxury, offering short breaks,’ Hotel Northcote in Devon. The grandeur of the outside excited me, this looked the place to unwind and relax. I should have stayed outside and kept looking at the external facade and grounds due to my bubble bursting prematurely when I entered the grand front door......

I joined two couples hovering within the main body of what could be called either the grand hall, a bar, a living room or reception, none exact but none so apt.

The weather out side had a lovely sun filled sky, but there was a chill in the air. Now it was my turn to introduce myself as the other guests arriving huddled in behind me. Have you been here before I was asked sharply, I thought what happened to the pleasantries of Hello and Welcome. Shocked I regurgitated a quick “No I have not” and flashbacks of being sent the headmasters office populated my mind. The temperature dropped suddenly as the chill changed to a frosty bite inside the unknown room. From no where her next bellow was “Where is your Travel Zoo Voucher?”, now looking sheepish towards the other guests in the unknown room as if I had now left the headmasters room I replied softly, “In my hand..........”
Expecting to be marked with the plague the female member of staff grabbed the voucher and pulled it from my grasp, I had made it, I was now excepted, cleansed of the voucher.

I had arrived after a long journey and the hotel had been my quest, but the challenges were not over my quest continued. I had missed the small print stating there would be a welcoming workout. I was frogged marched around the hotel and shown many wonders and my prize at the end of it, my room....... my precious.

Now hungry for adventure and food I made my way through the confusing maze, OK rooms, Function room and Dining room, making my way back to the unknown room to announce I was suitably dressed and presentable (well I believed so) and ready for dinner.

I was ready to indulge in the Gourmet Tasting Menu, booked for 08.00pm. I had arrived at the Unknown room at 07.35pm and found it full of private party guests battling with each other over glasses of bubbly, I knew they were battling as I was apologized too numerous times for being bumped into. I thought of my busy days in London either on the tube or being pick pocketed, I thought to myself I would need to make an appointment with a therapist if these flash backs continued.

After the battle came victory, I had made it to the counter which I knew from other images I have experienced in my life to be a bar. The keeper of the bar looked tired and withered from the defending of his bar. I expressed my joy at my achievement at arriving through the piles of bodies with a great smile and a robust positive “Good Evening” I have battled hard and ready for diner.

Surprisingly a female, unfortunately not the heroin in this fairy tale tale bellowed “NAME” and I know I waited too long for the further words MY GOOD KNIGHT when she repeated “Name”...

A complimentary Drink before diner had its phase the Goat Cheese Canapé was burnt but I am not here to complain lets fast forward this epic tale tale , (OK I WILL PAUSE THE STORY WHILE YOU OLDER MEMBERS WISH TO MAKE A TEA OR USE THE FACILITIES)

Welcome back, you find me now at the diner table now some 50 minutes after arriving at the room with no name and I was finding hard to find what I was looking for.

Sat upon my table with apprehension and contemplation in good company so far I awaited my first course of five, The literature expresses Dining in Devon at Northcote Manor is an experience strictly reserved for pleasure, this evening numerous members of staff reserved the right not serve me with any experience, the battle I had won in the unknown room continued in the dining room. A female member of staff challenged me to a dual with forks as she laid down the gauntlet by throwing a fork into my lap. Being a gentleman I graciously refused and handed her back the fork, obviously handle first as I did not want there to be any confusion.

On the down side of the evening the five courses which appeared in front of me were not the courses advertised on the website, had the Devon highway man intervened into the diverse local ingredients which were bound on route to the hotel. This newsworthy information was not relayed to the guests fearing a mass exodus of the hotel. On a lighter note I could not contain my chuckles and giggling of the advertised menu humorously pricing the meal at £70 a head.

It is with regret that Disney had not been consulted and the menus from the rat in ratatouille been emailed to the kitchen. This menu was unimaginative and failed on artistic aesthetics and was sorrowful. At least that little rat was animated and colorful and yes watchable. I do hope the Chef was either being individually painted on new cells or more realistically on holiday. I would believe that as in ratatouille the staff rallied together to assist in cooking, as I personally found the menu insulting especially when the word GOURMET is in the title.

Foot note apologies to the rat I can not remember your name

Please believe me when I state that I was not the only patron in the dining room to have reservations on the service and food. To my knowledge three other covers sitting in hearing of my table was enough to write this review. I and the others had complimentary Port or Coffee, for a confused establishment which charges £411.00 a night in a suite I expected so so so much more.

The only member of staff who showed courtesy and professionalism was the Sommelier Mitchell Cehon who apologised on behalf of the chef and my ruined evening.

The female member of staff who purported to be the head of staff this evening, the Maitre d hotel, not to be mistaken as the General Manager, did not convey to me any professionalism and was very obtrusive. In my opinion not suitable for this hotel which is wanting to achieve the dizzy heights of class.

The evening passed and could not be saved I made my way to my suite to retire and recharge my batteries....... no I am not going to mention or compare my upsetting experience to another disney film or films.

As another day dawned I awoke and felt safe and happy in the large room classed as a suite.

Breakfast was OK

Even I am now waining but we are near the end of this epic tale, I can not believe this was just less 19hrs.

After breakfast I made my way to the bell to summons a member of staff to book out of the hotel. Once again the female purporting to be the Maitre d appeared. I said I am ready to book out and she replied with a stern face “You have nothing to pay you can go!” Maybe she had originally been a headmistress and had recognised the naughty schoolboy qualities in me.

I packed my trusty Stead and went off to venture over the Devon Tors, never to look back.

To all my fellow Traveller's and TravelZoo adventurers I do hope your experiences of Northcote Manor Devon is better than mine,

I would like to close on a quotation that has been given great significance in these recent years which I would think is apt to any business especially hotels, Aleksandr Orlov

“Simples”