“Slightly disappointed”
Review of Northcote Manor

Northcote Manor
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Burrington
Dining options: Reservations
Description: 3 AA red starts, 2 AA Rosettes, AA notable wine list and 'Devon Venue'in the Westcountry Wedding Awards.> Northcote manor is a cherished Country House Hotel set in the foothills of Exmoor National Park, Enjoy sweeping views over the Taw Valley, sundowners on the sun terrace and cream teas on the lawn or in front of crackling log fires. The perfect wedding venue or conference centre.
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Fantastic house and location in lovely Devon countryside. Staff were all friendly but the house was cold! Dining room lacked atmospere, and was a walkway into the additional hotel bedrooms. This backs onto the conservatory which was not heated at all! Just a curtain separated the extreme cold of the conservatory with the dining room, hence it was too cold for comfort. Nothing to do with the 1 hr electricity power cut - was cold all the while.There was a megre real fire in the lounge. Food on the whole was good. Dining chairs were stained. Has potential to be outstanding but not quite there.

Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

I booked a meal here for a 'special treat' as part of our 'mini moon'. We were staying in a cottage near by. I was not let down.
My wife and I had a lovely time.
From the start we were made to feel welcome and the service was attentive throughout. We were served canapes with our pre dinner drinks. We went for the 3 course meal. The food was fresh, local and a pleasure to eat. We both had the pork as the main course - so melt in your mouth. Loved the cheese selection. We were served coffee in the lounge whilst we we waiting for our taxi.
We came away feeling well looked after and special.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

To be clear, no hint of a complaint here overall, excellent canapés, starter and dessert, good main, though bouche was a little short on taste. I feel though service remains excellent whether busy or quiet the quality of the food slips slightly. Don't get me wrong, the chef is properly talented and on his day arguably single handedly lifts the whole place from good to excellent. But when it's busy you do notice the edges rough up ever so slightly, and I guess that's the challenge, to maintain excellence no matter what. Then again I have to say that everywhere has off days no matter who is in the kitchen.

1  Thank PGBakes
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Have posted a reviw on the NM hotel site but wanted to post one on here as well to counter some previous adverse reviews

The set dinner started with a drink in the bar then 5 courses of very delicious food in the restaurant. The choice of wines served with each course was well selected.

There was a short wait for dessert but this was due to it being freshly cooked so no problem!

I had no issues with the service, the food or the wine...

Reviewed 19 January 2012

I booked the hotel as an anniversary treat having reviewed the hotel and restaurant.

Northcote Manor looks lovely but a little tired but that is part of the charm

The staff

My thanks go to Mitchell Cohen, Sommelier you are truely a professional.
However i would recommend customer service and table/silver service training for all other members of staff. I was concerned that service stopped in the restaurant a number of times whilst all staff served a party in the function room, and I marveled that when food was served in the restaurant, it did not appear to matter to the staff that the customer was not seated; i.e, using the facilities. accepted practice?

The Tasting menu was not in my opinion a gourmet meal and a real disappointment, on all levels. Once again thank you Mitchell for your apologies and for the port and coffee (not charged for) however this does not make up for a substandard meal.

2  Thank goldengems