“Dartmoor In Your Lungs!”

Dartmoor Electric Bicycles
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in Ashburton
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer guided tours and hire on Dartmoor. Our top of the range 36v Swiss Electric Bikes make for an unforgettable cycling adventure and the perfect way to experience this unique and beautiful landscape. Whether exploring Dartmoor's hidden lanes or wide open spaces, the bikes guarantee a quiet and comfortable ride while the 'pedal assist' helps to manage the hilly terrain. Tours and hiring (half day or whole day) start at our base near Poundsgate or at a location to suit you. Hotel collection also possible. . Min 2 per group, maximum 7. All riders need to be 14 years of age or over. April - Oct book in advance to avoid disappointment.
London, United Kingdom
“Dartmoor In Your Lungs!”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I haven’t cycled in years and am not exactly the fittest person, so I was a bit dubious about this birthday present of a half-day e-bike tour of Dartmoor. I opted for one of the gentlest routes, which starts along the Drake’s Trail from Tavistock – nice and flat and traffic-free, and featuring a spectacular bridge and long dripping tunnel. The e-bike was amazing – comfortable and easy to ride, and when we did hit an uphill stretch, I just clicked to a lower gear, kept pedalling and cruised up it. It felt great! We turned off the cycle trail at Horrabridge and followed a very quiet lane up to a tiny settlement with a church, an old manor house and lovely views over the valley which we shared with a herd of gentle alpacas. We had a break here and then carried on over open moorland, past streams and old crosses and ponies and everything Dartmoor is famous for. Our guide knew a lot about the moor and its history, which really brought the landscape alive. You could see Cornwall in one direction and high moors and tors in the other. The cycling up here was gently up and down, and then a steady descent back to Tavistock. At the end my legs certainly knew they’d had some exercise, but in a good way. I’d certainly give it another go.

Visited September 2013

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely sunset ride”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We spent a happy couple of hours exploring little-known parts of Dartmoor on electric bikes. The cycling is not entirely effortless but the hills aren't insuperable as they would be on a normal bike. You feel the benefit of fresh air and exercise while covering a surprising number of miles. The scenery is amazing on a large scale but Inge also draws attention to small details you might otherwise not notice and has numerous stories to impart about her local area and its people. We finished with a half in a local hostelry and then a gentle coast in the dusk back to the base. Highly recommended - it was tremendous.

Harrogate
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Brilliant family activity”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

This was perfect for a family with teenagers and not so teenagers - felt like Bradley Wiggins getting to the top of great winding lanes to enjoy spectacular views without holding the fitter ones up. I lived in South Devon for 7 years and even in my 20's didn't think cycling Dartmoor was likely to feel good but this was fabulous - And all details in place - great bikes - paniers - high vis jackets - great places to stop - great routes - Highly recommended

Chagford, United Kingdom
“A great morning on the moor”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We live on the edge of Dartmoor and walk there often. I would love to cycle but the hills are off putting to a pensioner! Not any more! Yesterday I was introduced to the 'electric bike'. I hadn't cycled for many years and was more than a little nervous about cycling on the moor. The electric bike was comfortable and easily adjusted to fit me. Inga was our guide and she spent time explaining how the bikes worked and we had a few turns around a car park to get used to the gears. Then it was out onto Dartmoor. We turned immediately up a hill that on a normal bike I would have had to dismount and push. The electric bike enabled me to cycle all the way to the top. You still pedal and can feel that you are working your legs but there was no pain. It is a great way to cycle as a group. The more experienced and fit can choose a lower power level or a higher gear which suits them. As this was my first experience I stayed on a high power level and went into a low gear on the hills. We even cycled up the hill out of Dartmeet on the way to Poundsgate!! Inga is most knowledgeable about Dartmoor and we stopped for views and coffee. Three of are now converts and are planning to buy our own electric bikes. I would highly recommend this trip as an excellent way to see Dartmoor and to keep fit! Alison Deacon

Exeter, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A breath of fresh air”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

It made a wonderful change to be able to enjoy the fresh air and views on a bike on Dartmoor without being exhausted. No need to get off and push up the hills. Marvellous! Inga was very relaxed and informative and happy to stop at any time for a break to admire the glorious countryside. Highly recommended for visitors and locals alike.