“exploring dartmoor by electric bike”

Dartmoor Electric Bicycles
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Ashburton
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer guided tours and hire on Dartmoor. Our top of the range 36v Swiss Electric Bikes make for an unforgettable cycling adventure and the perfect way to experience this unique and beautiful landscape. Whether exploring Dartmoor's hidden lanes or wide open spaces, the bikes guarantee a quiet and comfortable ride while the 'pedal assist' helps to manage the hilly terrain. Tours and hiring (half day or whole day) start at our base near Poundsgate or at a location to suit you. Hotel collection also possible. . Min 2 per group, maximum 7. All riders need to be 14 years of age or over. April - Oct book in advance to avoid disappointment.
Reviewed 19 March 2014

As a regular cyclist this trip combines some exercise and enough power from the electric bikes to get up the steep Dartmoor hills. Inga our guide explained how the bikes worked and we soon exploring the wonderful scenery on quiet country roads . She also provided a good deal of information about about our route and what we were seeing as we cycled.
Brilliant sunshine and a gentle breeze made our 3 hour bike hire even better.
This is definitely a venture I will try again and I would recommend cyclists and non cyclists to give this a try.

Richard Simons

Reviewed 19 February 2014

6 of us ventured out in between downpours and had the most fantastic time! We were so lucky with the weather. The e-bikes make cycling up the epic Dartmoor hills so easy, and the down hill sections were brilliant (43mph!!!). I really recommend this, it's the only way to see Dartmoor, we were out for over 3 hours and I could have done 3 more, it was great. Beautiful scenery, Luke was so friendly and knowledgeable, I can't think of a nicer way to spend a sunny afternoon, I'd love to come again, thank you from all of us :-)

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I had been wanting to go for an electric bike ride on Dartmoor all Summer but never actually got around to it. Then, finally, in November I managed to arrange a ride! And it was fantastic. I absolutely loved it. Before we set off Inga gave us (just me and a friend) some instruction regarding the gears and the battery and then we were off. The electric bike almost leaps into action like an eager steed when mounted. We managed 17 miles of Dartmoor with very little effort. Narrow roads led to amazing views and no people, cars or houses in sight. It was idyllic. I couldn't have walked for 17 miles and appreciated such varying landscapes so cycling certainly had the edge. Inga stopped for us to drink in the views and then halfway, stopped for us to drink tea. She was full of interesting anecdotes about the landscape and, quite clearly, has a passion for Dartmoor. I shall be booking more rides in the not too distant future. Now I've had my first experience of Dartmoor Electric Bicycles I can't wait for the next time.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

2 of us (adults) rented these e-bikes yesterday and had a 17 mile 3 hour ride around central South Dartmoor with Inga (from Hannaford near New Bridge in a big circle encompassing Bellever, Jordan, Ponsworthy). We loved it. As others have said, it's a great way to be outside on Dartmoor, covering more miles than if you were walking and yet not having to slog up hills as on an ordinary bike. It's normal cycling but when you pedal it feels like there's a strong wind behind you (without the wind) helping whizz along almost effortlessly and easing you up the hills. I know this area pretty well, but found myself in lanes I haven't been in before, joining up familiar places, on one of Inga's carefully selected routes. Inga was an informative, friendly, unobtrusive presence who clearly loves Dartmoor and being out there. She also has good tips and recommendations if you are considering buying an electric bike.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I haven’t cycled in years and am not exactly the fittest person, so I was a bit dubious about this birthday present of a half-day e-bike tour of Dartmoor. I opted for one of the gentlest routes, which starts along the Drake’s Trail from Tavistock – nice and flat and traffic-free, and featuring a spectacular bridge and long dripping tunnel. The e-bike was amazing – comfortable and easy to ride, and when we did hit an uphill stretch, I just clicked to a lower gear, kept pedalling and cruised up it. It felt great! We turned off the cycle trail at Horrabridge and followed a very quiet lane up to a tiny settlement with a church, an old manor house and lovely views over the valley which we shared with a herd of gentle alpacas. We had a break here and then carried on over open moorland, past streams and old crosses and ponies and everything Dartmoor is famous for. Our guide knew a lot about the moor and its history, which really brought the landscape alive. You could see Cornwall in one direction and high moors and tors in the other. The cycling up here was gently up and down, and then a steady descent back to Tavistock. At the end my legs certainly knew they’d had some exercise, but in a good way. I’d certainly give it another go.