“Great biking! Great scenery! Great guide!”

Dartmoor Electric Bicycles
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Ashburton
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer guided tours and hire on Dartmoor. Our top of the range 36v Swiss Electric Bikes make for an unforgettable cycling adventure and the perfect way to experience this unique and beautiful landscape. Whether exploring Dartmoor's hidden lanes or wide open spaces, the bikes guarantee a quiet and comfortable ride while the 'pedal assist' helps to manage the hilly terrain. Tours and hiring (half day or whole day) start at our base near Poundsgate or at a location to suit you. Hotel collection also possible. . Min 2 per group, maximum 7. All riders need to be 14 years of age or over. April - Oct book in advance to avoid disappointment.
Reviewed 10 May 2014

As older, inexperienced cyclists, we had a wonderful time with a very knowledgeable, friendly, patient and sympathetic guide (Inga). Nothing was too much trouble for her. The landscape, of course, couldn't be better and we had a great time on our first day out. On our second day - let loose on our own on the moor! - we enjoyed it all over again and had a lot to talk about when we went home. This must surely be one of the best ways to see parts of Dartmoor that would otherwise be missed sitting in a car.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

As a regular cyclist this trip combines some exercise and enough power from the electric bikes to get up the steep Dartmoor hills. Inga our guide explained how the bikes worked and we soon exploring the wonderful scenery on quiet country roads . She also provided a good deal of information about about our route and what we were seeing as we cycled.
Brilliant sunshine and a gentle breeze made our 3 hour bike hire even better.
This is definitely a venture I will try again and I would recommend cyclists and non cyclists to give this a try.

Richard Simons

Reviewed 19 February 2014

6 of us ventured out in between downpours and had the most fantastic time! We were so lucky with the weather. The e-bikes make cycling up the epic Dartmoor hills so easy, and the down hill sections were brilliant (43mph!!!). I really recommend this, it's the only way to see Dartmoor, we were out for over 3 hours and I could have done 3 more, it was great. Beautiful scenery, Luke was so friendly and knowledgeable, I can't think of a nicer way to spend a sunny afternoon, I'd love to come again, thank you from all of us :-)

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I had been wanting to go for an electric bike ride on Dartmoor all Summer but never actually got around to it. Then, finally, in November I managed to arrange a ride! And it was fantastic. I absolutely loved it. Before we set off Inga gave us (just me and a friend) some instruction regarding the gears and the battery and then we were off. The electric bike almost leaps into action like an eager steed when mounted. We managed 17 miles of Dartmoor with very little effort. Narrow roads led to amazing views and no people, cars or houses in sight. It was idyllic. I couldn't have walked for 17 miles and appreciated such varying landscapes so cycling certainly had the edge. Inga stopped for us to drink in the views and then halfway, stopped for us to drink tea. She was full of interesting anecdotes about the landscape and, quite clearly, has a passion for Dartmoor. I shall be booking more rides in the not too distant future. Now I've had my first experience of Dartmoor Electric Bicycles I can't wait for the next time.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

2 of us (adults) rented these e-bikes yesterday and had a 17 mile 3 hour ride around central South Dartmoor with Inga (from Hannaford near New Bridge in a big circle encompassing Bellever, Jordan, Ponsworthy). We loved it. As others have said, it's a great way to be outside on Dartmoor, covering more miles than if you were walking and yet not having to slog up hills as on an ordinary bike. It's normal cycling but when you pedal it feels like there's a strong wind behind you (without the wind) helping whizz along almost effortlessly and easing you up the hills. I know this area pretty well, but found myself in lanes I haven't been in before, joining up familiar places, on one of Inga's carefully selected routes. Inga was an informative, friendly, unobtrusive presence who clearly loves Dartmoor and being out there. She also has good tips and recommendations if you are considering buying an electric bike.