“An amazing weekend camping :-)”

River Dart Country Park
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Ashburton
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Dartmoor National Park the River Dart Country Park has an award winning campsite and is open daily from Easter to the end of September for fun and adventurous holidays and days out for families.Set in 90 acres, with lakes, parkland and woods with the majestic River Dart flowing through the Park it is the ideal place to stay or visit. Children can run and play on our Pirate Ship lake and Adventure Playgrounds and our on-site facilities cater for everyone. The Old Sawmill cafe offers a great range of food so mum can also have a break and our onsite shop stocks items for your BBQ! B&B accommodation is also available throughout the year and don't forget all guests have free access to the extensive adventure playgrounds for the duration of their stay. For those seeking more adrenalin fuelled fun there I sour Dare Devil activities including water zorbs, high ropes course, canoeing and kayaking - instructor lead activities at extra cost. There is an adventure around every corner!
Exeter, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An amazing weekend camping :-)”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just been to River Dart for our first camping adventure, and it was fantastic. The place is kept to a very high standard, clean, tidy, great on site activities for everyone. Cant wait to go again. :-)

2 Thank Jemma L

Brixham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Left feeling ripped off”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I visited with a group of friends, and if I hadn't been with them and having a laugh I would have not enjoyed myself at all. Although the showers were great and probably the warmest and cleanest I have had at a campsite. The washing up facility was also great! However upon arrival we were told we could not put our two cars on the pitch as it was against their policy but we could drive both on, unpack and then park one in the car park which I had no problem with until I was charged £7 to receive the code to get through the barrier which turned out to be exactly the same as the code we had for the other car! When we arrived at our pitch there was another way in where I would not have had to go through a barrier, I used this when bringing the car back to unpack. Equally I could have used the code we had been given for one car anyway! This left me a little annoyed. The next day we decided we would go canoeing, our plans soon ruined when we were told this was not possible as it wasn't main season so it was closed to campers only open for school parties! We headed back to our pitch and thought we would play a sport of our own until a lorry arrived and started spreading a fowl smelling chemical (sticking the gravel together) right next to us! We decided we would leave the site and go for a walk, after having a nasty fall on the walk I went to first aid to get an ice pack for a badly swollen ankle, first aid was closed (on a sunny afternoon?!) then I went to reception to ask them, the receptionist went out the back came out and said "well do you want to see a first aider? If you do I'll have to find one, otherwise just run it under a cold tap" being with a first aider and a nurse and the woman's attitude I left and ran it under a cold tap (which isn't what you should do in those circumstances) however her tone and attitude made it very obvious she did not want to help us. This disgusts me, the whole experience has left me wondering what I paid for, even activities we had to pay for were not on offer!

6 Thank Robyn H
Beckyriverdart, Owner at River Dart Country Park, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Robyn H

In response to your review I would like to make the following comments:

There is no charge for a "barrier code", our pitches include one vehicle and additional vehicles are charged at £3.50 per night for parking hence the £7 charge.

Dare Devil activities - dates and prices of Dare Devils are clearly displayed on all of our literature including brochure, website and day visitor leaflet. We are also happy to take prearranged private activities outside of these times.

I do apologies for the odour created from the tarmacking that was being undertaken but I am sure you appreciate with the British climate there is a limited amount of time when this can be completed. I understand that the General Manager did speak to you regarding this and made some allowances for the issue.

Our first aid is never closed, the large majority of our staff are first aid trained and will attend when requested across the 90 acres. The advice given to you regarding the sprained ankle is correct and inline with first aid guidance.

I am glad to hear you and your friends did enjoy the stay and I will pass on your positive comments regarding the shower blocks to our house keeping team.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great for kids”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Just spent a weekend at River Dart & have to say it is a fabulous venue for family's with children but for more mature caravan & campers I would not recommend it. We took our 2 grandchildren & found that although the rules say respect others by not making to much noise after dark we found it incredibly difficult to sleep due the laughing & shouting coming from the adults of the group of tents alongside us, who were part of 4 families. There appeared to be many 'groups' on site with 4 or 5 tents with a gazebo between them & when the kids were asleep the adults started drinking & this would go on until the early hours!!!
The facilities were ok but again due to the amount of children on site who were left to use the facilities unattended they were not the cleanest. The park itself was clean & well maintained & looking after the environment is obviously high on the list of the management/owners. We didn't eat in the restaurant but it looked nice although a little pricey as you would expect on site.
Overall I would say if you have kids, it's a must, if not don't go as there are many attractive sites on Dartmoor (one right next door) which would be cheaper & quieter.

1 Thank SJMK7856
Kingsteignton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Wedding of Stephanie and Jamie at Holne Park House (21/06/2014)”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Our son Jamie and his wonderful fiance' Stephanie, held their Civil Wedding ceremony at Holne Park House on Saturday June 21st 2014. To start with, the weather for the weekend was fabulous, which goes hand in hand with the facility they chose, for their special day, namely Holne House.
The house itself is gracious, with a feeling of granduer, but at the same time,homely and friendly. The House offers various choices of wedding packages, Jamie and Stephanie chose the ** hire the entire house, accommodation,beautiful gardens and outside bbq garden for two days**.We must add, that the House is set in a magnificent country park setting,making for stunning wedding photographs.
Jamie and Stephanie made all their wedding preperations at the House for their weekend, with the Wedding Co-ordinator, Laura.
Laura did an astounding job, for all involved. Throughout all the preparation, she was helpful,patient,professional, organized and very reliable. Laura has a great team alongside her, all of whom, work efficiently, organized and are very friendly. A big thankyou for Toby and his team is also due.(The bar was very busy late into the night and in the morning Toby was there with a great breakfast in the breakfast room !)
Laura had told us what the House could cater for, with regards to, room set ups,ceremony,disco,wedding breakfast,evening bbq and guest accommodation.Everything turned out just as she had said, nothing went wrong and the perfect wedding took place.
It is so important that a wedding is perfect on the day and enjoyed by all. With Laura in charge and the venue of Holne Park House, Jamie and Stephanies wedding was one of those perfect ones.
A big thankyou to Laura, Toby, the Team and Holne Park House.
From Jackie, Dave, Jackie and Richard

2 Thank david b
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Best campsite in Britain”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We have over the last 10 years stayed at quite a few different campsites in different parts of the country, almost all of them have had their good points and their bad points, but over all we've only ever stayed at one site we wouldn't go back. River dart is not that site, not by a long stretch!
We originally stayed here 7 years ago as a quick stop over on the way to Cornwall, but we have been back every year since. The first year was for 2 nights, that wasn't enough, the next was 3, I'm sure you can work it out, we now stay for a week and it's not long enough.
The free activities, parks, lake with pirate ship are amazing and enough to keep you occupied, one year my son and 2 nieces spent a full day in the forest building a den. Fantastic day for them and a priceless memory. But you can do the paid for activities which are reasonably priced for the high standard of equipment used. The high ropes are great fun and seem to get bigger and better every couple of years. We haven't done the "day" activities yet but my son is planning to this year.
The staff have always been really nice, there're still a few faces from our first year, but lots of new faces too. We made mini rafts with the kids one day when it was raining with a plan to race them later, the staff asked what we were doing and kept asking who'd won, then gave the winner a milkshake as a prize.
Thee club is big enough to fit everyone and the entertainment is usually quiet, but that suits us as we stay at other sites that have more going on in this respect. Having said that, they have curry nights, pizza nights, quizzes and if the weathers not great, film nights. In our opinion, spot on!
I am constantly telling anyone I know or meet, who have a tent or caravan, that this is the best site we've been to, and this year a couple we met at a 40th birthday party went a and had a great time, so maybe people will believe me now and not think I'm on commission.
If you have kids, you like camping or caravanning, go to River Dart at least once!

Visited August 2013