“Tired but okay.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashburton
Lavender House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ashburton
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on a voucher which included 1 dinner. Room was okay but shower area needs renovating as it is badly stained and our room was not cleaned at all on our full day there. At our included dinner we were served our mains without vegetables. When asked where are the veg the waitress replied "The chef forgot to put them in the microwave and they,ll be here soon." By the time they arrived we had finished most of our meat and potatoes. We had to laugh how honest she was. Breakfast was good value with good choices. Overall, it was okay but not worth the advertised full price.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Conveniently located a couple of miles off from Ashburton's business park
Plenty of free parking
Decent inclusive Wi-Fi
Welcoming and professional staff
Good sized rooms
Good food
Beautiful views of Devon's landscape

much better option than a roadside hotel

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 September 2013

My wife and I booked a two night stay at the Lavender House Hotel and we could not recommend it highly enough. The owners and staff could not do enough for us and were most welcoming. The room we had was spotless, fresh and linen and towels were immaculate, there was even air conditioning. The food was also excellent and plentiful, cooked and prepared by the owners son, with a wide choice menu.

The Hotel is very easy to find just off the A38 and well situated for places to visit. We will be going back and if you are looking for a few days away where you will be well looked after, Lavender House is the place to go.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I enjoyed my two night stay. The beautiful oak bed was very comfortable fluffy pillows and nice duvet. The shower base was a bit rusty around the seal but the shower was a good one. I feel they should check the joist as I felt the toilet sank a little.
I had the vegetarian breakfast and it was very good. Dinner was served by one waiter who gets 5 stars from me as he worked hard. The dining room was pleasent but I was not happy almost sharing my table with the dust bears.
I would stay again and request a table away from the bears. It rained a lot so I did not get to explore the gardens. The hotel has old beams and modern decoration, old furniture modern ornaments that is why I call it differnt,

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bucket72
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Well, where do I begin? We have just returned from a short break at Lavender House, and it far exceeded our expectations. From the minute we walked through the door, we felt very much at home in this lovely hotel, and our hosts, Carol and Keith, did everything possible to ensure we enjoyed our stay. We were given the beautiful Lavender Suite, which was so comfortable and tasteful, with our own patio/balcony area outside our French doors. The view over the garden was stunning, and we enjoyed an early morning stroll in the sunshine, admiring a vast array of interesting plants, statues and other features, including two dovecotes and an aviary of pretty small birds (Keith did tell us what they were called but I've forgotten!). There was a nice children's play area, and it was obvious that children and pets are more than welcome at this homely establishment. The hotel has extensive gardens, all surrounded by lovely green Devonshire countryside - what more could anyone want? Ashburton itself is nearby, with a range of shops, pubs and restaurants, should you wish to venture out in the evening, which we had originally planned to do, but having dined in the hotel restaurant on our first night we were so impressed by the choice on the menu and the extensive wine list that we decided to eat there again on our second night! All the food is freshly cooked to order, portions are good and cooked to perfection - on the first night I had deep fried Brie and cranberry followed by lamb shank with mashed sweet potato and a selection of vegetables, and just about managed to squeeze in an enormous three scoop portion of a selection of Carte D'or ice cream! The full English breakfast was a massive size, nicely cooked and served, and kept us going all day until our evening meal, which isn't always the case in many other hotels we've stayed at. Carol and Keith were able to give us lots of tips and ideas for exploring the area, and we managed to visit beautiful Buckfast Abbey, followed by the otters and butterflies nearby, then on to Torquay and a trip across on the ferry to Brixham and the Golden Hind. We arrived back at the hotel at 5 pm, in time for a lovely refreshing glass of West Country cider, whilst sinking down comfortably on one of the leather sofas in the lounge area. In the evenings, the bar is a very nice place to sit around and chat, with a good selection of drinks and lots of banter and humour from Keith! We have stayed at many hotels all around the world, but this has to be the friendliest so far, and we will definitely be returning soon as there are many more places we'd like to explore in this area, and we can't think of anywhere else we'd rather stay than Lavender House! Our only whinge about our stay is that we wish we could have stayed longer, so thank you to our lovely hosts for making us feel so welcome and for looking after us so well - we have returned home feeling rested, relaxed and pampered! See you again soon!

Room Tip: The Lavender suite is beautifully appointed and has lovely garden views
2  Thank MiltonKeynesKitty
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We also stayed on a deal, for two midweek nights. We used this as a base for our annual revisiting of our favourite Devonshire haunts.

The hotel is situated in beautiful gardens, clearly well-suited to (fine weather) celebratory events. There is ample parking.

The property is signed from the south - a fat lot of good if you come from the north, as we did !! It would worry me if I had guests attending an event here. As would the reception office . . . It is the size of a broom cupboard, which in itself is not a problem as with shelving and commonsense this is entirely possible. However . . . it looks as if it has been ransacked, with absolutely no systems in place. Again if I was hosting an event here this in itself would probably stop me from confirming the booking !! It is impossible to have any real confidence when you can see that chaos reigns ! We settled our bill in the bar, which also reinforces the above comments in my book.

I like to see a business running smoothly - and I suspect that the lack of organisation was the reason why there were insufficient breakfast tables laid up, and a comment from the waitress, while we were waiting, indicated that this is not unusual. They really should know how many people slept there last night !! It is a small establishment - this is not rocket science.

As you enter the front doors (think weddings etc), the first impression is that those doors are years overdue for a simple coat of paint. Not a difficult, expensive, or big job.

Having said all this, the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed. The lounge/bar area is delightful, very comfortable and a nice place to have a nightcap before bed. Our room - the family room, with a double, bunk beds AND a cot, (all fully made-up !), was extremely comfortable, but there was no hot water in the taps at bedtime, despite letting it run for a long time. Handwashing should be with hot water for proper cleansing.

Breakfast was ok, but not special. Quantity was not brilliant, just adequate. My poached eggs were badly tainted with vinegar and had to be sent back. Fruit etc was lacking in imagination. Again adequate, but disappointing. We spoke with another couple as we were leaving, and they had eaten there one evening (we didn't), and their comment was 'very ordinary, no imagination at all - disappointing'.

Again despite many shortcomings, I would stay here again for a couple of nights on a deal, but would definitely not pay top price, nor risk an event here - which won't happen because we're too far away in any case !

It is such a shame - this is a lovely property in a beautiful area, but I felt it was being run as a hobby, not a business. I believe it is a regular venue for Freemasons' events, which is probably where the greater interest lies. A real missed opportunity - this could be so very special.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2013

A far from warm welcome when we asked if we could have a coffee we were told 'no' as we weren't resident. Didn't bother to ask if we could speak to the manager to show us around as we were considering a large wedding reception the following summer- simply crossed them off our list and quickly left never to bother returning again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank weddingchoice
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburton
The Dartmoor Lodge
Lewtrenchard Manor
Lewtrenchard Manor
#1 of 1 in Lewdown
The Edgemoor Country House Hotel

Been to Lavender House Hotel? Share your experiences!